Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Any other toe bolts out there besides SPC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
etkms

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any other toe bolts out there besides SPC?

Hi Guys,

I am still new here, I need toe bolts for my car I am building. I searched the forum and saw the SPC toe bolts, but people said they have a small 5 degree of slip in them and move a bit during hard track use. Did they fix this issue? or are there any other brands out there that sell toe bolts for this car? I searched buy SPC is the only one that comes up.

Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Heavy track use , most swap to toe arms or SPL spring bucket arms
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Heavy track use , most swap to toe arms or SPL spring bucket arms
Thanks. I would swap to toe arms but I will be using the OEM spring location for my coilovers so that won't apply. The SPL links are nice, but very pricey. I still just wanted to know if anyone else makes toe bolts?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
etkms

If I swap to toe arms instead, is it ok to then just leave the OEM toe bolt there and instead use the arm for adjustments?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Please read suspension 101 on the top of this section.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 AM
etkms

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Please read suspension 101 on the top of this section.
I read 11 pages of it. I did not see my question answered. If you do know, please let me know. This is a track car, not a slammed car. I want to know if it is advisable to use toe arms as well as toe bolts, or if only one of them is enough. I am starting to think there is not much benefit to having toe arms since most people can get in spec with just toe bolts. I would prefer to know now what to buy during my build so I can install everything at once and not have to go back and fourth after an getting its alignment.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are going to use toe arms you should get then locking washers for your toe bolt, because your OEM washers gonna slip and screw your alignment. And yes you dont need APC toe bolts with toe arm replaced. It's covered in the suspension 101 topic.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 AM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boom.

http://350zhatchshocksandmore.com/Lockout%20Washers.htm
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Your answers are covered in the suspension 101 thread.....

SPC is all I have seen out there, and as ive posted in the 101 thread they have horrible 5 degree of slip that is worthless in maintaining alignment for track car forces....
5 degrees of SPC crap:

HANDS DOWN - toe arms paired with lock out washers are the way to go - so easy to adjust - but yes, you must go to true coilovers in the rear to loose the spring in the spring bucket - OTHERWISE, then SPL's spring bucket is what you need. note the spl spring bucket only works with certain sized springs.

OTHERWISE:
The design error in the SPC is the "eccentric washer" itself...it obviously is a steel stamped punched part that's made with a horrible horrible tolerance and leave the 5 degrees of wiggle room.......

SPC crap:

SOOOoooo, your next best bet is to just have a local machine shop machine you some "eccentrics" and use the SPC bolt only (trash the eccentrics they come with)....that's the easiest... they can just copy the eccentric, but to a tighter tolerance around the shank of the spc bolt to eliminate the 5 degree mismatch - this will end up the cheapest option....

OTHERWISE #2:
If it were me, and i had to stay OEM coilovers rear, ie spring in spring bucket, then I would have a machine shop make me eccentrics that have the peak just like the OEM factory bolt - then have them machine a bolt with the V-groove in it full length...

This will yield a full round bolt and not a half moon cut bolt like spc and thus the bolt will hold torque better..

OEM:

Review post 4 here: https://my350z.com/forum/8293406-post4.html
Review post 19 here: https://my350z.com/forum/8293599-post19.html

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 04-12-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:31 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by Staisman
If you are going to use toe arms you should get then locking washers for your toe bolt, because your OEM washers gonna slip and screw your alignment. And yes you dont need APC toe bolts with toe arm replaced. It's covered in the suspension 101 topic.
I think your confusing the toe arms I am referring to with true "toe arms" such as the kind that replaces the spring bucket. I am talking about toe arm or "traction bars" as some call it.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
Your answers are covered in the suspension 101 thread.....

SPC is all I have seen out there, and as ive posted in the 101 thread they have horrible 5 degree of slip that is worthless in maintaining alignment for track car forces....

-J
Yep, I saw you post that which is exactly why I made this thread to see if there were anything better then the SPC bolts. To me it is crazy no one else makes good ones because it is such a simple thing to make. I did go ahead and do what you also said. I ordered the SPC bolts, but I will have a local machine shop make me new washers that are snug with the bolt for no slip. My other main question is still up in the air though. Should I bother buying toe arms/traction bars even with new bolts???
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Ak48z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Want him to drive the car for you too?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
etkms

Originally Posted by Ak48z
Want him to drive the car for you too?
huh?????
Old 04-14-2013, 08:29 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by etkms
Yep, I saw you post that which is exactly why I made this thread to see if there were anything better then the SPC bolts. To me it is crazy no one else makes good ones because it is such a simple thing to make. I did go ahead and do what you also said. I ordered the SPC bolts, but I will have a local machine shop make me new washers that are snug with the bolt for no slip. My other main question is still up in the air though. Should I bother buying toe arms/traction bars even with new bolts???

NO....the arm your referring too is the #23 (radius rod):

the only compliance in that rod is the bushing flex itself....which isnt much....its a very hard bushing..... - i would say change it out with a solid SPL type bushing IF and only if you were building a 1/4 mile monster and hard launches were important....but for anything on a road track or drifting, its not gonna matter...

if you do swap it out, whatever you buy - set it to the exact length of the oem radius rod and make 110% sure that both the LH and RH side are the exact same length...hell use red loctite and ensure it never moves!!

-J
Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

the only compliance in that rod is the bushing flex itself....which isnt much....its a very hard bushing..... - i would say change it out with a solid SPL type bushing IF and only if you were building a 1/4 mile monster and hard launches were important....but for anything on a road track or drifting, its not gonna matter...

if you do swap it out, whatever you buy - set it to the exact length of the oem radius rod and make 110% sure that both the LH and RH side are the exact same length...hell use red loctite and ensure it never moves!!

-J
There is a lot of stiction in the radius arm (traction arm) bushing. Swapping it out for a Whiteline bushing would be great for most. The SPL am I have there made a feelable difference in the suspension.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
etkms

-J
Thanks. I am going to skip ordering that arm then. As far as changing the bushing, I ordered the Energy Suspension master kit, and it appears it comes with a new bushing... attached is the pdf what it has on the rear.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
17556.pdf (387.3 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by etkms; 04-14-2013 at 11:27 PM.