Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Spc toe bolt help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM
ATM47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spc toe bolt help

Quick question . I have just ordered eibach sportlines . Rear camber arms . And the spc toe bolt . Do you NEED to elongate/cut out the subframe / doctor pill thing to adjust the toe in the rear when installing the bolt ? Can i adjust rear toe with the spc.bolt without cutting the subrame ? Thanks for advise in advance
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 AM
ATM47

Can you get the toe back into spec with just
installing the SPC bolt and not elongating/driling
the subframe?
Old 02-18-2014, 11:08 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

My experience was that it was not necessary......and here is someone else too:

From another 350Z forum:

I finally got around to posting an update after installing the front upper arm kit and rear camber kit. After three technicians looked at the shims we opted not to install them.

Their product is well manufactured, a selling point for me is the amount of positive camber (for saving tire wear) they proclaim which they do live up to their specs. The rubber bushings on the upper control arms (same type as Nissan) for comfort, and that the dust cover for the ball joint covers the entire area (not like Kinetix).

The upper control installed nicely with a snug fit, well manufactured. We new up front that a metal flange on the underside wheel well would need to banged back for clearance of the outer arm where the ball joint is located. We also shaved about 1/8â€of plastic (see pic) it’s all underneath and cannot be seen, **** I can hardly see it from the pic.

The rear camber kit took the longest, allot of time spent hogging out the toe slots on the frame. In the end we did not need to even install the toe bolts as the range to bring the toe back into spec again to save the tire wear, not for track setup. If so then I may want the toe bolt installed, but for getting the car back into spec we had enough with the original toe bolt, therefore only one of the two cars had the toe bolt installed. Camber arm is sweet and a fast install, which was needed with the rear spring at a 1.0†drop.

The results were amazing once dialed in on the alignment rack. The fronts we were able to go from a -1.4 on the Silverstone and -1.7 on the Interlagos Fire (IF) to -0.3 on both cars. Wow! We settled on close to nominal setting of -0.6 for both cars (save them tires). Our only problem was bringing the caster into range, we started out with arm set to dead zero, and by adjusting the caster on the arm would give up camber. So we set it on dead zero and achieved the -.06 camber. We are going back to the rack and adjust the caster on the arm and hopefully at least get the caster in the high range of at least 7.4. with a camber of -.08. It’s about all we ask can for.

As far as the ride, I could tell right away that the car felt like the tires were planted more firmly. Braking in a dead straight line, the car did not pull at all, braking in corners was solid. Cornering, well let’s just say that I feel more confident taking corners a bit faster. Overall I am very pleased with my current suspension setup. Next mod, SWAYS, hopefully I will not give up that comfort with the sways (at least not allot). My choice would be Hotchkis.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:30 PM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

To get the range of adjustment you'll want/need you will want to elongate it. It's not that hard, just take your time and be sure to elongate it in the right direction...Elongate towards the center of the car (towards the diff) on both sides if I remember correctly.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:24 PM
ATM47

Its weird cause iv read multiple different threads where people swore they needed the bolt and swore they didnt . Different cars were fine with the oem bolts and some.needed spc and
elongation . Im gonna buy the bolts anyway just to be safe . I just dont have the tools to do anything i have to bring it to a shop and pay them . Iv called around and i cannot fins a shop in south FL who has done this before .
Old 02-18-2014, 05:30 PM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The key to your success and happiness depends on you finding somebody that can install and tune your suspension.

It took me 6 years of trial and error before I was satisfied.

Good Sports Car suspension mechanics are hard to find and worth every penny.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM
RENFRO

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts

IMO, the toe bolt is an absolute necessity if you're lowered any more than just a mild spring drop. I was on Tein S-tech and chopped spring mounts with OEM toe bolts and I chopped up my rear tires badly from my toe being way out of spec. I went with the SPC bolt when I switched to my KW coilovers.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 AM
ATM47

I live in south florida . In broward county . I was calling around yesterday and i finally found a shop that has elongated the subframe for our 350z toe bolt before . Im bringing the whip there this weekend . Its called Elite Roads .
Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ANSWER:

hands down - if your installing the SPC aftermarket 3 degree eccentric washer toe bolts then hands down you need to dremel/cut the doctor slot bigger per the template provided.!!!

WHY:
Simply because the slot currently is made wide enough for the oem 1.5 degree toe bolt. guys grab the oem bolt....then hold it in your hand and compare it to the spc bolt. if you hold the washers on top of each other they are the same dammn shape -

same shape --- so how is it 3 degrees over the 1.5 degree oem bolt - here is why - the bolt is more offset mounted....

Why further / damage:
So, if you install the spc bolt and don't cut the doctors pill slot - the bolt will NOT do a 360 degree turn within the raised subrame flat edges that the eccentric bolt sit in.

its literally physically incapable of turning around....

DAMAGE:
well, you install spc 3 degree toe bolts - drive to alignment shop, then you have an alignment guy with a long azz dammn socket wrench, fighting it over and tada!! you have now damaged your subframe, because the flat raised aluminum section edges will get deformed! and your car is forever ***'d!!!

Again - install spc toe bolts = use the dammn template and cut doctors pill slot!

-J
Old 02-27-2014, 07:14 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Taken from post 4 of my suspension 101 thread:

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
REAR - Camber and Toe:
LETS COMPARE OEM AND SPC TOE BOLT ECCENTRIC WASHERS SO THAT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE THE ADDED DEGREES OF TOE ADJUSTMENT COME FROM:
[/B]

OEM:

SPC:

ANOTHER PIC:
notice in the 3rd and 4th pic, how the bolt is between two raised flats - ie, the aluminum subframe is a stamped aluminum part - the raised sections will get folded over, pushed, damaged if you dont open the doctors pill.

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-27-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:14 PM
NeoGixxer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To install my rear SPC camber arms/toe bolts & front Kinetix camber arms a local shop here wants to charge me $290 (no alignment).

It's not rocket science to get the rear and front arms on myself, I was wondering if I could leave the OEM toe bolt on just to take it to the shop so they could elongate the holes on the subframe to install the SPC toe bolt? It that safe?

I don't have the tools to make the cuts. That way the shop can do the cuts and alignment it all at the same time and I don't have to waste cash on something I can do myself.

Extra info: Right now my z has no fender gap and its sitting on BC coil overs.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,290 Likes on 1,650 Posts

I know a place in Vegas that does quality work for a great price