Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Slotted/drilled vs. OEM rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 05:06 AM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Slotted/drilled vs. OEM rotors

Getting a bit ahead of myself here, probably next year for rotors and pads for Brembo equipped Z - But if i can find a deal before then, i'll snag it.

Aesthetics aside, I'm looking for some EXPERIENCED opinions on the value, if any, of slotted/drilled rotors over OEM (Brembo) I read "better initial bite" hmm - So are we talking a tenth of a second?

Is it worth the money for upgrading...is it even an upgrade?

What say you?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,300 Likes on 901 Posts

Having raced for over 30 years and with the Z33 specifically, I'd rather have solid rotors made of the best material I can afford. Why? Slotted/drilled rotors really act as cheese graters on your pads, and while they might vent gasses released during repeated, heavy braking (like at an endurance race), that's NOT where most of us drive.

For my Brembos, I've tried several suppliers, from cheap to the very expensive Brembo-sourced blanks over the years. For both street and race, I've found that the Centric high-carbon solid rotors are the best value out there. Price them out locally and at an online retailer like Rock Auto to find the best deal.
The following 3 users liked this post by dkmura:
carbuffguy (04-02-2017), jhc (04-02-2017), Spike100 (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 07:59 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,275 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
For both street and race, I've found that the Centric high-carbon solid rotors are the best value out there. Price them out locally and at an online retailer like Rock Auto to find the best deal.
^^^ Concur.

I have slotted middle-of-the-road rotors (can't recall brand, might be Centrics or STs), do not track and really don't put them to any type of what I would call "severe" usage other than a few corners that demand one threshold brake for 'em because it's fun, not required.

Cannot tell the difference between these and the solid Centrics (on my kid's car) I got for next to nothing.

More important than the rotors, I run these with Carbotech Bobcat pads... never worry about shedding speed with this combo. Since you have Brembo, another pad I'd recommend is the Project Mu HC800, which I ran on my Brembo car and have since moved to a Grand Touring with Brems. Outstanding pads, albeit a little expensive.

David likes Carbon Friction but I'll let him tell that story.

Last edited by MicVelo; 04-02-2017 at 08:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
carbuffguy (04-02-2017), Spike100 (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
David likes Carbon Friction but I'll let him tell that story.
Opps- that's Cobalt Friction and yes, I like their XR2 compound for racing. They have a high coefficient of friction, broad heat range, good initial bite and are easy to modulate on the track. But besides being relatively expensive, I don't use them for everyday driving as their dust is difficult to remove, and can stain those expensive alloy wheels- particularly on a DD.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:22 PM
carbuffguy

Thank you Gentlemen -That's logical, more stopping surface = more stopping. "Centric high-carbon solid rotors" BOOKMARKED.
I have to admit the slotted/drilled rotors are pretty shnazzzy, but...

Re the "pads" that's for another day. Going to do some research there. I absolutely loath brake dust, but require a good level of performance. I guess that's the "catch 22" of DD and auto xing a car. I'll find a good mix.

P.S. - dkmura, i hope you're faring well!

& Mic, I'm also GT
Old 04-02-2017, 02:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by carbuffguy
Thank you Gentlemen -That's logical, more stopping surface = more stopping. "Centric high-carbon solid rotors" BOOKMARKED.
[I]I have to admit the slotted/drilled rotors are pretty shnazzzy, but...

P.S. - dkmura, i hope you're faring well!

& Mic, I'm also GT
More than just stopping power, anytime you put holes into a friction surface, you end up placing stress risers into the material. But cost can also be a factor, and I have some good quality rotors that have slots and dimples on the Titan KC LWB tow vehicle. Pricing was good and free shipping cinched the deal.

As for my recovery, it's slow but sure- not words any racer wants to hear!
Old 04-02-2017, 04:03 PM
carbuffguy

More than just stopping power, anytime you put holes into a friction surface, you end up placing stress risers into the material. But cost can also be a factor, and I have some good quality rotors that have slots and dimples on the Titan KC LWB tow vehicle. Pricing was good and free shipping cinched the deal.

As for my recovery, it's slow but sure- not words any racer wants to hear!
In endurance, slow and steady can win the race, sometimes you got to save the fuel and rubber until you see the white flag (probably also not what you want to hear) keep your chin up
Old 04-02-2017, 06:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,275 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Opps- that's Cobalt Friction and yes, I like their XR2 compound for racing. They have a high coefficient of friction, broad heat range, good initial bite and are easy to modulate on the track. But besides being relatively expensive, I don't use them for everyday driving as their dust is difficult to remove, and can stain those expensive alloy wheels- particularly on a DD.
Carbon, cobalt, ehhhh, one dem elephants, er, elements.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Another vote for centric high carbon rotors I have had them on two cars now and a few friends used them. No issues all around and reasonably priced.