Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Creaking Noise - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:35 PM
FlashEvolution

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Creaking Noise - Need Advice

Hello,

I recently developed this awful annoying creaking noise from the passenger rear of my 2003 350z.

Diagnostic Information/Tests:
- No noise is heard when vehicle is on jack stands - noise only happens under load
- No noise in reverse, only forward gears at all speeds
- Applying brakes while driving does not stop noise
- Pulling e-brake up while driving does not stop noise
- Brakes do not drag
- Wheel moves freely when e-brake is not applied

Here's whats been done:
- New wheel bearing (MOOG) approximately 90 miles on new wheel bearing before noise started
- Caliper has been rebuilt - does not stick
- New pads and rotors (show no sign of wear at this time)
- E-brake has been adjusted
- E-brake hardware and shoes has been removed, inspected and cleaned
- Rear spring has been removed, inspected, cleaned and greased
- Greased and inspected rear ball joints - Inspected, cleaned and greased all mounting inserts
- Backing plate has been cleaned and pushed back in case it was rubbing on rotor

Here is a video -

I am about to lose my sh*t with this noise. Nothing gets hot after driving, even at highway speeds. I was hoping at this rate, if I took the car out somewhere and beat it SOMETHING would break and I would finally figure it out. But no, no abnormal wear, no heat, no groves in the rotor, nothing loose, can't figure it out. Maybe new wheel bearing is already bad? Any advice on what I can check next is appreciated!
Old 04-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Sounds like it could be the typical creaking axle syndrome.. There's a Technical Service Bulletin about this. Could be that new bearing too, but I don't think so cause it only happens under load and in one direction.. The TSB calls for the axle to be removed, regreased, then reassembled. However, since yours only happens in one direction, one or more of the splines could be deformed. Or it's just dry as hell.. Do you have the base model Z with the open diff?
Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Creaking in the rear axle is usually caused by the end links, the TSB for lubing the axle splines is a metallic ticking/tinging noise, nothing like this.

What I think may be going on here is that the axle nut wasnt tightened properly and I bet if you lifted the wheel you would notice a lot of play. I have seen this several times before.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:49 PM
FlashEvolution

Originally Posted by guitman32
Creaking in the rear axle is usually caused by the end links, the TSB for lubing the axle splines is a metallic ticking/tinging noise, nothing like this.

What I think may be going on here is that the axle nut wasnt tightened properly and I bet if you lifted the wheel you would notice a lot of play. I have seen this several times before.
I have checked the axle nut and replaced it when I replaced the wheel bearing - the nut was torqued to 180 ft lbs and is still torqued to 180, there is no play
Old 04-30-2018, 07:56 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you lube the axle splines and flange surface with M77 or similar when installing? Unlikely you damaged the CV during install, though possible. Still sounds like a slightly separated bearing to me...good luck!
Old 05-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Desert Z

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting noise. It's definitely NOT the infamous axle clicking issue on the 350z, that's for sure since I have it and have watched many videos where it sounds exactly the same.

After all you've done I would probably take it to an honest shop that will understand everything you have done and not charge you extra to do it all over again.

I have a rattle that I just can't get rid of and it's driving me nuts, and I have read every damn thread.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:01 AM
FlashEvolution

*Drum Roll Please*

I have found the issue! I am fairly mechanically inclined so not being able to figure this out felt like the death of me. I was planning on throwing in a new axle but gave the current one another good look over, for the third time. What I found was when I get at eye level with the dust shield that covers the back of the wheel bearing, there was an ever so slight bend in the shied. I didn't think this was the issue for I didn't notice any excessive wear on the hub nor the shield but when I bent it back and installed it, the noise was gone!

woot woot!
Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Good stuff. So we were ALL wrong. Ha!
Old 05-22-2018, 01:12 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Have you checked for bends in the dust shield that covers the back of the wheel bearing?

Just kidding.

I could write a book about looking for noises coming from the rear end of the car.

Glad you were able to figure it out