Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Need some opinions on this salvage Z

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:53 PM
adanger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some opinions on this salvage Z

I'm about to purchase a 2004 350Z Enthusiast that has a salvage title. Its got about 10k miles and I can get it for $10,500. I think its a good deal and can be repaired pretty cheap. It has some slight frame damage which can be straightened and will need a new windshield, hood, front bumper, driver side fender, radiator, and windshield.

I plan on purchasing a body kit and hood regardless so really no big deal for me that they are wrecked. Frame damage bugs me, but don't plan on this being a daily driver anyway. I'm attaching a photo in case anyone wants to see it.

Please let me know your thoughts, whether good or bad. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Need some opinions on this salvage Z-damage_pic.jpg  
Old 11-09-2005, 06:10 PM
cessna

adanger,

It dosent look bad at all!....
I've got a very good friend of mine that buy's from american salvage auctions and then brings them (cars) back to be re-built and sold here in Canada...

Sounds like a shady world dosent it??? In many ways it is, I've seen it, dont get me wrong, but my friend's shop does excellent work... A few years ago I bought a 94' GMC dully,(my sis needed someone with a truck for her horse trailer and I always had wanted a big truck) from him and she had been a rebuilt from the US.... I never had anyproblems with it, I actually made money on it! A very rare steal indeed!!!

If you have a good connection (obviously one that you trust) who may fix it... get them to look at it for you... Frame pull-outs if done correctly are not a big deal....

Good luck and PM me if you need more advice/input

Regards,
Louis
Old 11-09-2005, 06:24 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I wouldn't buy one. I would just get a high mileage Z for around 19k. Just remember if you decide to sell it you would lose a whole lot more.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt buy anything with any frame damage. Too high of a risk for potential problems with the handling/suspension.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
I wouldn't buy one. I would just get a high mileage Z for around 19k. Just remember if you decide to sell it you would lose a whole lot more.

In Canada they (salvage title) usually run 10-15% less than the non salvage.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:59 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by camaro194
I wouldnt buy anything with any frame damage. Too high of a risk for potential problems with the handling/suspension.

That depends, on the original incident/accident itself, and on the quality of the shop that will pull the frame

Trust me I was a nay sayer before, but I have seen some great deals, on great salvage titled cars/trucks, drove, and owned some, and if the work is done right, there should be no worries!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by cessna
That depends, on the original incident/accident itself, and on the quality of the shop that will pull the frame

Trust me I was a nay sayer before, but I have seen some great deals, on great salvage titled cars/trucks, drove, and owned some, and if the work is done right, there should be no worries!!!
You can't really judge it by the surface. All the risk would outweigh the price. My father bought an Infiniti J30 from a dealership that was salvaged and saved about 4k. It looked fine from the outside. You start to notice after you own it the mirror was not painted, there are no airbags, and the door doesnt' really align evenly, the badges are on the wrong side, the seat belt was broken and some other problems. The cost to get it fixed like new would probably be around 3k. We gave the car to a family member and it still runs but I personally would never buy a salvage car no matter how good it looks from the surface.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
You can't really judge it by the surface. All the risk would outweigh the price. My father bought an Infiniti J30 from a dealership that was salvaged and saved about 4k. It looked fine from the outside. You start to notice after you own it the mirror was not painted, there are no airbags, and the door doesnt' really align evenly, the badges are on the wrong side, the seat belt was broken and some other problems. The cost to get it fixed like new would probably be around 3k. We gave the car to a family member and it still runs but I personally would never buy a salvage car no matter how good it looks from the surface.

And thats why I`m suggesting that he get it looked at by a trusted body man!!!

If he's got access to a good, and trusted shop, than a salvage titled car should be a NO ISSUE!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM
adanger

It does depend on the shop. From what I have read and heard, a good shop can get the frame back to factory specs. The frame is one thing I don't plan to be cheap about.

At the present time, I don't plan on reselling. This will be a project car for me. If at some point I do decide to sell it, as with any car, I will never get back what I put into it, but at least my initial expenses should be alot lower. I hope.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whatever you think that its going to cost to fix it, just double that amount.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:24 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by adanger
It does depend on the shop. From what I have read and heard, a good shop can get the frame back to factory specs. The frame is one thing I don't plan to be cheap about.

At the present time, I don't plan on reselling. This will be a project car for me. If at some point I do decide to sell it, as with any car, I will never get back what I put into it, but at least my initial expenses should be alot lower. I hope.

Very true, you'll get a Z for much cheaper, and if done right, you'll have a great car!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by davidv
Whatever you think that its going to cost to fix it, just double that amount.
I disagree,

If you get a trusted shop, and add a 10% to what they tell you....
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Well just remember it cost less now and it will be worth less when you sell it.

And I would rather have an 03 with your expected problems than an 04 with unpredictable problems.

That's how much it goes for in my parents neighborhood.

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...&radius_top=75
Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
adanger

Thanks for the opinions. I went ahead and purchased the car. I had checked with a local shop about the frame damage and they said even if they have to replace a part of the frame it shouldn't cost more than around $600. They mentioned that they have the Genesis System which actually allows them to get the frame back to factory specs and even documents the entire process.

I'll post info. on how that goes in case anyone's curious.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:32 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by adanger
Thanks for the opinions. I went ahead and purchased the car. I had checked with a local shop about the frame damage and they said even if they have to replace a part of the frame it shouldn't cost more than around $600. They mentioned that they have the Genesis System which actually allows them to get the frame back to factory specs and even documents the entire process.

I'll post info. on how that goes in case anyone's curious.

Awsome, another Z owner! Congrats!!!!
I'd like to see it!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Where abouts in Florida are you?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:05 PM
vtek

Hey adanger, if I were you, I wouldn't buy it. Just from the pictures alone, I think the repairs will run you at least $10,000. Just remember that the parts don't cost as much as the labor. If you're lucky and got the hookup, $50/hr for labor is a bargain. But most body shops will charge at least $75/hr. $100/hr is normal.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:14 PM
cessna

I think he already got it
Old 11-27-2005, 05:31 PM
adanger

I did buy it. Should be shipped to me this week. Along with the title they also sent a copy of the estimate the insurance company got. They were quoted 12k, but the price for each part was based on MSRP. I was able to find a site that charges 30%-40% less for Nissan replacement parts. Plus there's tons of used parts out there as well. Once I get the car I'll start hunting down the parts I need. I plan to work on the car myself so I'll be searching for the best prices in between weekends.