Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 02:38 PM
TheLastSpartan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 19 when i got my Z im 20 now and have had the Z a year this month. Im in college and my father and i made a deal that if I made the grades he'll get me the Z and make the payments unless i start slipping in school then they go to me. I do make good grades I'm a prelaw major i'm 6 hours away from being a junior I have a 3.9 gpa and I do help with the costs of the car with my own money because i feel obligated to do so. I have no wrecks and no tickets (in the Z) and i drove a 95 ford explorer(one fender bender and one speeding ticket) and an f-150 (no wrecks or tickets) before this so it wasnt my first car. I also went without a car for a while before i got the Z so i could get my ducks in a row to get it. It was used and I got a great deal on it (if it werent for that i probably wouldnt have gotten a Z). Looking back at when i was first driving when i was 15-16 i was a pretty bad driver so in that area im not sure a Z is right first time out of the box. It all depends on the person. If you really want the Z maybe you could work something out with your dad, good grades,help financially, go to college, no tickets, no wrecks etc. Its a personal choice much the same as anything. Its all about you and living up to the choices you've made. If you want to get a Z go for it but be sure to take all aspects into consideration because in the end its ultimately your responsibilty. If you do get any sports car BE CAREFUL!!! speed shouldnt be dealt with lightly!!! hope everything works out!!!

another thing. most of the older wiser crowd around here only says things out of concern for your well being and only say "no" because they dont want you to get yourself killed or someone else. the rest are just bitter old men

hah im just kidding

Last edited by TheLastSpartan; 12-24-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:56 PM
TheLastSpartan

andyisphat

how do you like your ADRs? what finish and what color is your car? PM me and let me know

thanks
Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 AM
billet350

i bought my Z 7-8 months ago when i was 18, now 19. I know how i was when i first bought my car and now im like a complete different person towards driving. First month i had the Z i would fly on the highway, race everycar that wanted to race, and stupid ****. Im also a paralegal so i should know alot bettter about breaking the law. Now you at 17 probably still in highschool will end up doing what i did for about 2 years lol sorry but i dont see a 17 yr old not doing what i did. With highschool friends and all and peer pressure. My first car was a 2000 mercury cougar and that was when i was 16. And i got in some much trouble with that car. Same with almost every other 16yr old in there first car. I would recommand some sort of rear wheel drive car becasue when i went from a 170hp front drive car to a Z man it was different. And you dont even have a license yet!!! Also if you cant afford the car why buy it. Dont buy something you cant afford. I have to pay for my Z and i even had to pay for my cougar when i was 16 with part time jobs. Now i have a fulltime job so i can afford a much better car then a cougar. I actually wanted an M3 but im not going to live from paycheck to paycheck. Remember that
Old 12-30-2005, 07:06 AM
itsjoshufocker

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GO FOR IT! im 16 and have a Z =)
Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i was 17 i bought my Z my mother loaned me the down payment, which I have repayed. I have been working since i was 16, everything I have done to my Z i have paid for myself, when you work hard and put in 60+hrs a week you really appreciate what you have. Now i am almost 21, my Z is pretty modified, and i bought another car for my daily driver. I bought my Z when i was 17 but I had been driving since i was 15 so it was not my first car. Everyones situation is diffrent. I really think if you can buy it yourself you wont be able to appreciate it as much as if you did. anyways hope the best for you.

My Z:
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM
billet350

wait hold on so you have been driving the z for 6 years????

you said uve been driving it since u were 15 and now ur 21???
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by aren
I am 17 and I don't have my driver's license yet. I take my driving test in a couple months. I really like the Z. I have for many years now, and I always saw myself in one.

I saw myself in one when I'm 17-24. Money is a big issue for me. I know my parents would probably buy a 350z for me if I ask often because they like to spoil me (mainly because I went through a very difficult time in my life that changed my life forever). However, I don't want my parents a huge some of the money they make on me, especially since my dad works really hard at his job and doesn't get paid enough. Even if I were to save up enough for a Z, I don't think I would get it as a first car. I say this only because I don't think I should drive a Z as my first car. Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, when did you get your Z? Would you allow your 17 to drive a Z? If you were 17 and had the chance to get a Z, would you?

On a side note, if I were to buy a Z, I would buy a used one.
What the f*ck?
Type ENGLISH
If you cant speak correct English, at least you should beable to type it right!
God damnit! Spoiled children... I wish I was spoiled
My mother sent me to work when I was 13!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
billet350

lol my dad made me get my first job when i was 14 lol good ole chick-fil-a.

the worst thing is all the money you work for goes towards mods, car payments and insurance. and that still happens today but better mods lol

im so use to working that when i dont work it feels weird. i think i have a problem, i think im a workaholic
Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by billet350
lol my dad made me get my first job when i was 14 lol good ole chick-fil-a.

the worst thing is all the money you work for goes towards mods, car payments and insurance. and that still happens today but better mods lol

im so use to working that when i dont work it feels weird. i think i have a problem, i think im a workaholic
+1
Old 12-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Manjot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, get some experience driving. If you can get the Z right away do it, just drive safely! Imo
Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 PM
JS04

If you can get it go for it. Your'e only young once.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:26 AM
GhostFace

no, you shouldnt get a Z, get a 240, cheap, rwd, and is fun to drive, and half the power of a 350, which is perfect, since you're half the age of a Z driver
Old 12-31-2005, 07:14 AM
JS04

Wow so 34 is the right age for a Z. Then I'm too young to have a Z and I'm 21.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:23 AM
chewy_the_legen

Lightbulb No!!!!!

Hey im 17 n i got a Z....a Z its not good for a 17 year old....ur life is destroyed.. well if ur single, like u can get alot of girls with the car but, in the end they only in it for the car n like no bull. Too much money for gas too, it takes supreme only. yea i understand havin a hard life, i had one too. but on the real, u should get somethin so ur friends can ride with u. besides u cant really put no bump in yo trunk, cuz.... theres not enough room ( without cuttin....cuttin is bad....) to me a Z is a car to have for ur self. Start off with somethin light on gas reliable, cuz u can make any car handle like a Z even look like one
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM
GhostFace

Originally Posted by JS04
Wow so 34 is the right age for a Z. Then I'm too young to have a Z and I'm 21.

im kidding, im only 22 and im trying to get a Z
Old 01-01-2006, 02:02 PM
billet350

Originally Posted by chewy_the_legen
Hey im 17 n i got a Z....a Z its not good for a 17 year old....ur life is destroyed.. well if ur single, like u can get alot of girls with the car but, in the end they only in it for the car n like no bull. Too much money for gas too, it takes supreme only. yea i understand havin a hard life, i had one too. but on the real, u should get somethin so ur friends can ride with u. besides u cant really put no bump in yo trunk, cuz.... theres not enough room ( without cuttin....cuttin is bad....) to me a Z is a car to have for ur self. Start off with somethin light on gas reliable, cuz u can make any car handle like a Z even look like one
damn i can definity tell ur 17, funny ur only 2 years younger then me. First off gas mileage on a Z i would say is actually pretty good if driven properly. Second you can have a badass system in the trunk without cutting, third you cant make any car look like a Z lol, maybe handle almost as good, but no civic is going to out handle a Z or 240. just my .02
Old 01-01-2006, 02:43 PM
BobaFettm

CRX will destroy a Z in handling... most EG's and EK's also...

Go to any local autocross and you'll learn this...

secondly... im 22 and I feel im too young for this car and feel spoiled... at 17 I was barely able to buy my own nintendo 64...
Old 01-01-2006, 03:55 PM
billet350

okay im talking about a coupe civic like a 93 or higher. not ever time a person talks about a civic,
are they talking about a crx.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:27 PM
MovingViolation

Good first car? Ask the idiot who just wrecked his Z because he was showing off for his friends with the spare tire on
Old 01-01-2006, 05:39 PM
billet350

yeah i know this kid in my hometown, always tries to race me in his mom 03 ppw.... he hit a truck with a hitch on the back. Threw a hole in his front bumper LOL..

Quick Reply: At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?