Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billet350
yeah i know this kid in my hometown, always tries to race me in his mom 03 ppw.... he hit a truck with a hitch on the back. Threw a hole in his front bumper LOL..
LOL!!!!
Wow...
lawlercopter
Old 01-02-2006, 12:24 PM
350ztoronto

Originally Posted by itsjoshufocker
GO FOR IT! im 16 and have a Z =)

he said his parents aren't rich like yours
Old 01-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by 350ztoronto

he said his parents aren't rich like yours

there are lame *** people here
Old 01-03-2006, 08:50 AM
ekoms31

i am 17 and drive a 35th anny auto. it is my second car but i feel like the car cost to much for me but my parent bought it as a surprise. i do not recommand it as a first car or a second. get a beater and have fun, with the z you will always have to worry.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by ekoms31
i am 17 and drive a 35th anny auto. it is my second car but i feel like the car cost to much for me but my parent bought it as a surprise. i do not recommand it as a first car or a second. get a beater and have fun, with the z you will always have to worry.
Auto...
You go girl!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:07 AM
G Spot

no... if $$$ is an issue. Because you can't afford to fix it, gas it, insure it, auto-x it, etc because they will all cause you extra $$$.
I make good money, but I still can't afford it. Well, I can, but I'll probably end up spending twice as much at the end with all the upgrades and replacements.
I got student loans, cost of living in DC metro, etc.
If I ever move out of DC area and buy a home, then I can easily afford it.

Yes, if you will be insured with your parents, live with them and spend your money wisely to afford a Z. A used Z can be had for $15k if you look hard enough. That said, you can learn how to ride it, etc. Heck even if you wreck it, at least you'll learn from it as long as it doesn't kill you. I rather learn how to drive a sports car now (if I were 17) then when I'm in my 30's or 40's and not truely enjoy it's full potential.
Live it up. You're only young once.
I'm just glad you're not my kid.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 AM
G Spot

A better question to ask would've been...
Q: What would you buy or help buy your 17 year old kid for their first car and why?
A: New car: Scion xB, great gas mileage, storage space, and Toyota reliability all for only $15k.
Used car: Give him/her my Honda Civic. $0, and same benefits as listed above.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by G Spot
A better question to ask would've been...
Q: What would you buy or help buy your 17 year old kid for their first car and why?
A: New car: Scion xB, great gas mileage, storage space, and Toyota reliability all for only $15k.
Used car: Give him/her my Honda Civic. $0, and same benefits as listed above.
scion xb is a piece of crap
the kid would be laughed at
aka major loser car
either a nice bmw 325ci or audi a4 2.0T sport
thats my 2 cents
Old 01-04-2006, 12:37 PM
y2k3350z

Do not get a z for your 1st car and that being your 1st sports car.

you will beat it up like its nothing.

In 98 I was 17 yrs old, got a 96 mustang v6, wrecked it 1 1/2 yrs later, got it keyed after 6 months it was fixed.

at mid of 99 when I graduated i got a 98 tacoma 4x4 5spd, 1 1/2 yrs later I wrecked it.

till 2001 I got a brand new explorer sport trac took care of it and still have it did not wreck that one.

got a 2003 350z in 03 as my 2nd car and 8 mths traded it in (due to transmission problems) for an 2004 tahoe used it for 1 1/2 till I decided to trade it in for a 2005 350z, just can't seem to get away from the z.

In other words wait till you have some experience driving.lol
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
raptorbh12

heck, i was 17 when i got my Z. i also know someone else who got a Z when they were 16 and niether cars have been in any accidents yet. My first car was an old supra so the Z wasnt my first rwd car so i knew not to do stupid stuff like power slide around corners.... but i do feel that the Z isnt that good of a car to get a 17yr old. at least get one with traction control so you dont die.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:38 AM
shifty711

My advice. Because im so ****en old and wise, Yeah, im 21 please let the flamming start now. My first car was in E46 325ci, i was 16. Its natural that when your that age, and your new to a car and driving, that you will experiment with a few things. Fortunately for me and my stupid *** experiments, i never crashed the car. I thought i was responsible then and still think i am now. But as humans, we are curious, and like to take risks and push things. Fortunatley for me i only had 187 hp, maybe if i had more, i would have tried some even more rediculous things than i did. But anyway, 300hp is quite a bit of power, but i have faith in you. You are going to do stupid things, and it natural. Just dont let these older and probably jealous bastards on this site get to tell you "i told you so". So, think about it, if you get it, good for you. Just be carefull.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Roger V

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 17. The Z was my third car. The first two cars I drove are still in immaculate shape and are driven by other members of my family. A Z is a big commitment for a teenager and if your not willing to be responsible and take care of it, I think you should get something else. end of story.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by y2k3350z
Do not get a z for your 1st car and that being your 1st sports car.

you will beat it up like its nothing.

In 98 I was 17 yrs old, got a 96 mustang v6, wrecked it 1 1/2 yrs later, got it keyed after 6 months it was fixed.

at mid of 99 when I graduated i got a 98 tacoma 4x4 5spd, 1 1/2 yrs later I wrecked it.

till 2001 I got a brand new explorer sport trac took care of it and still have it did not wreck that one.

got a 2003 350z in 03 as my 2nd car and 8 mths traded it in (due to transmission problems) for an 2004 tahoe used it for 1 1/2 till I decided to trade it in for a 2005 350z, just can't seem to get away from the z.

In other words wait till you have some experience driving.lol
you wrecked 2 cars in like 2.5 years?
dang... i still havent wrecked mine and dont look forward to it...
i dont really try to f*ck around in the car lol
Old 01-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Lillie

I agree with the majority - 17 is too young. Insurance will be outrageous. Start with something less and then you will appreciate it more when you get a Z later. Spare your parents!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Lillie
I agree with the majority - 17 is too young. Insurance will be outrageous. Start with something less and then you will appreciate it more when you get a Z later. Spare your parents!
If your parents is willing to shell out 30 grand...
get a 2005 325CI (nice car) then you still have plenty value remaining after a couple years of use and if you crash BMW body structure and crash ratings are top tier so its very safe
Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 PM
shifty711

Originally Posted by jvanquish
If your parents is willing to shell out 30 grand...
get a 2005 325CI (nice car) then you still have plenty value remaining after a couple years of use and if you crash BMW body structure and crash ratings are top tier so its very safe
Yup, thats good advice, that is what I did. Go with it.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:14 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by shifty711
Yup, thats good advice, that is what I did. Go with it.
+1
I got an audi a4 Q with my own dough :\
My ma would never let me get a bmw lol
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
HpnoticZ

im currently 16 and my dad pretty much got me the a Z for my birthday although i still very much consider it to be his car that he is kind enough to let me drive when people ask. The Z definatly probely wasnt the best car for a 16 year old get in when they first start driving on their own. I have had my fair share of life lessons in the Z, lucky none ok them ending in a crash. i feel i have grow past that now and more or less drive conservitive in traffic and what not. I also never screw around when other people are in the car because if i screw up its not their falt and they dont deserve to go with me. My dad also gives me free access to his C5 which i drive occasionally although i dont find it to be as fun as the Z car. Just have to be responsable and u will be ok.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:11 AM
Clapton9286

Oi...this thread scares the living sh*t out of me.

Go through beater cars, learn your lessons. In fact, do what I did. Find a 280ZX with power nothing and an engine that loved to overheat, then driving it to NC (from PA) in 100 degree heat. Manual. Power Steering. I95. THEN, go and get your Z!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:35 AM
IceBurnzTT

Yeah this thread worries and angers me at the same time. Some of you must have parents who lack common sense based on their decisions to a) spoil you at a young age hence setting up a life long dependence on getting better and better things from them or b) buy you a car that is just asking for you to showboat and learn what a guardrail looks like firsthand. In either case I dont care who you are and what you did but at the age of 16 you havent done anything deserving of such a "gift". You realize that in any financial state between insurance and the cost of the car your parents are taking a big hit and 2 weeks after getting the car you prob go back to treating them like **** and taking it for granted? No 16 year old has cured cancer or made a difference in the world jusitfiable to get a free Z. I hate this "omg little jimmy didn't get high but 6 days this week let's get in a Z and maybe he'll do his homework" bull****. I'm not jealous because i busted my *** to buy mine in cash and no one can take that from me but some of you kids have some real stupid mentalities these days. Makes me wonder about the future of our society ahead. Not to mention what clown is driving the sports car coming up on my rear bumper.

Quick Reply: At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?