Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:56 PM
aren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?

I am 17 and I don't have my driver's license yet. I take my driving test in a couple months. I really like the Z. I have for many years now, and I always saw myself in one.

I saw myself in one when I'm 17-24. Money is a big issue for me. I know my parents would probably buy a 350z for me if I ask often because they like to spoil me (mainly because I went through a very difficult time in my life that changed my life forever). However, I don't want my parents a huge some of the money they make on me, especially since my dad works really hard at his job and doesn't get paid enough. Even if I were to save up enough for a Z, I don't think I would get it as a first car. I say this only because I don't think I should drive a Z as my first car. Basically, what I'm trying to ask is, when did you get your Z? Would you allow your 17 to drive a Z? If you were 17 and had the chance to get a Z, would you?

On a side note, if I were to buy a Z, I would buy a used one.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Gryphin

when did you get your Z?
My 3rd car was the Z.
Would you allow your 17 to drive a Z?
No, I think it has too much power for someone that hasnt been behind the wheel for atleast a year.
If you were 17 and had the chance to get a Z, would you?
I would not get the Z if I was a year younger Because, when your 17, friends play a big role in everything you do. Lets just say that they dont always get you to do smart things... So a Z would not be a good choice for a first car. Why dont you look into a RSX? Those are nice cars, and they do get you around. or maybe go old skool and buy a used 280z and start fixing that up.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
jakesford

If i were you i would go buy an older mustang, 5.0 or even a 4.6. Why, well first off its RWD and it will get you some practice with a RWD car and a 5spd if that is what you want. Second, they are really tough and can take a beating. I had a 93' 5.0 Coupe for my second car and i learned a lot about how to drive (race) in the 2 years I had it (i put that car through hell and back). If you break something they are cheap and easy to work on, and are really fun to do mods to.

When i first started driving my parent bought my first car, well actually a older truck that i drove for 2 years while in high school, but i knew that if i wrecked it or something i was SOL, but when i graduated my dad helped me out to buy my stang, mainly since he wanted to keep the truck for an extra vehicle, but i still paid for most of it.

I've gone through a couple of other cars that i drove for a few months each, but i bought my Z completely on my own at 21 while being a full time student, and it really makes you appreciate it more... Through everything though i have never had wreck and i've learned alot...
Old 12-20-2005, 09:29 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If money is a consideration, skip the 350Z. If the price of a used 2003 350Z is within your budget, that’s only the beginning dollars going out the door: add insurance, routine maintenance, repairs and gasoline. For a first time buyer there are better choices.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:04 PM
jakesford

Originally Posted by davidv
If money is a consideration, skip the 350Z. If the price of a used 2003 350Z is within your budget, that’s only the beginning dollars going out the door: add insurance, routine maintenance, repairs and gasoline. For a first time buyer there are better choices.
Good points, when i bought mine i had a perfect record, no claims or tickets on my record and my old insurance company wouldn't cover me because the Z is considered high risk
Old 12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
NissanZfan

No
Old 12-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Z BOY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell no. too much for a new driver. most of the dead z owners were young. not yet. get some driving experience under your belt first.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
ASTIG_Z

If this is going to be a financial burden for your parents then why even consider it? You are being selfish, no matter what went on in your life that doesnt justify you buying a car that will put your parents though that.

This thread is retarded. Lets not even start with your age...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 PM
mahont

Ya you shouldn't have posted this because everybody on this site hates anyone under the age of 20 or so.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:07 PM
homiusang

Not these kinda of thread again
Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
ASTIG_Z

Originally Posted by mahont
Ya you shouldn't have posted this because everybody on this site hates anyone under the age of 20 or so.
I dont "hate" the sub 20 year old crowd. My point was directed towards the fact that if your parents are going to pay for this car. and its a burden on them, then he shouldnt even consider it. If your parents are willing to buy you the Z and it wouldn't affect thier financial stability, then by all means get the car and enjoy it.

Now the experience of a 17 year old behind the wheel of a sports car is a different story. Just drive responsibly!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Chineseguy

Well im 17 and i drive a Z but then my first car was my moms Odessey and Slowly drove the faster Mercedes S class and now i drive the Z with no problems yet but just be aware and i know you will have the urge to go fast i do too but i do it on non residential areas which usually have no cars around or people Good luck with your choice
Old 12-20-2005, 11:38 PM
iceman21_23

i being 18 kidna know this situation considering u haven't been driving you don't have ur license this car isn't for you... like others stated go for an older model z or a older mustang so you can get some driving experince most likely u will either wreck or desire to do something stupid and doing that in a 30k+ car will be a huge burden if something were to happen to it. maybe if u wish to see ur self in a z drive a beater for awhile show ur parents that ur a responsible driver and then maybe after a year or year and a half ull have been in a decent number of situation that allow u to become a better driver just takeing the test doesn't mean u can drive... i mean look at all the idiots that are on the road... anyways just work your way up to it is what im saying a car doesn't make the man...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:49 PM
350ztoronto

no, ur age
you dont have your license
its a powerful car
its RWD
and your parents are buying it even tho you made it a point that it'd be a burden on them
you might wanna floss when your older and when you can pay for it yourself no point trying to show off something your parents bought you.
besides i dont think theres any insurance company that will insure you
Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 AM
plumpzz

rsx-S is a cool car.. If i didnt have a nice job i wouldve gotten that or a WRX... the new WRX's are pretty noice package...u should check it out.. and its a 'tuner' car like the Z..sorta. The Z crowd is older definatley (lots of ya'll geezers :-P).. the rex is a cool car too for a 17 yr old..alabeit more expensive. rsx-S would've been my 3rd choice to a Z...rex was 2nd.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:38 AM
overZealous1

hmmm, not sure how to answer this being someone that has had to work for everything i own. my first car was a 6clylinder 67 camaro. it was in perfect shape, but it gave me a chance to drive. i built the hell out of the chassis and suspension on that car first, then made it faster. it only takes one time at the right speed to loose it and it can be all over. if the car is bought for you, i doubt you will appreciate what it took for you to drive it.
everyone has their own story on life, and believe me it only gets tougher from your age. worry about bigger things than having a 350z. that little camaro taught me how to drive, and yes i still own it and is awaiting a 6-71 and full hand made road course suspension to go along with the other cars i own and have worked my *** off for and can appreciate.
these younger Z (or potential Z) owner threads keep popping up. funny thing is none of them bought the car with their own money, hahaha. this is a car enthusiust site, and the fact your parents could buy you a Z (cause of a horrible childhood) is really kind of a slap in the face to the people who work for a living. not really trying to tear you a new one, but know your place!!!!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:15 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You're better off with FWD or AWD for you. I'm glad I made my mistakes in an 4x4 SUV and then got a Maxima (FWD) which I treated very well, then ultimately graduated to a Z.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:28 AM
southern_info

I agree with the majority on this one being the car is too much for a 17yr old. I also agree with most of the deaths drivers in the Z were young and I believe they were under 21 y/o. But the overall decision is yours, if you decide to. I highly recommend you to do some Auto X's to learn how the car acts in different situations, hell do some Auto X's when it rains too. I remember there was a 15y/o doing Auto X's in a Z and yes he was tackling cones in a roadster because his rich father let him drive. I can admit Auto X's help me tame this car alot more and I'm also not afraid to say I'm not to fond of drifting either. Not to say I can't I choose not to burn up tires like that. Something I learn from Auto X's was when slowing down hard and make a turn you don't down gear in a turn and let the clutch go because the back will break loose. You'll have to learn rev matching or down gear when your still going straight before hitting the turn. If you seriously get a Z do some AUTO X's seriously, I highly recommend it!
Old 12-21-2005, 03:30 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are 17??? why are you up at 2am, i was never allowed to be up that late, and no one ever bought me a Z..... its just not fair.... lol

hellyeah get the Z, i mean unless you dont want to be the coolest guy at your high school, get laid all the time or having everyone worship the ground you drive on....
Old 12-21-2005, 05:11 AM
Lancaster

Originally Posted by aren
I am 17 and I don't have my driver's license yet.
woah hold on there sparky...
If you want to show you're responsible, find a forgiving RWD beater to learn on. Taking advantage of your dads apparent inability to deny rediculous requests like "give junior a 350Z for getting his license" doesn't sound like a smart decision to me.

Quick Reply: At 17, Should I Get A 350z As My First Car?