Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying online? vs Costco ?vs haggling locally..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Louis21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying online? vs Costco ?vs haggling locally..?

Hey guys,
I am most likely going to bit the bullet and get a Z within the next 1-3 months and needed a bit of advice. i would love the Enthusiast but I might have to go with the base since it seems it is more than 1000k cheaper and i would like to keep my payments around low-mid 400's and not get into a 5+ long loan in which I'll probably be paying repairs and car payments once the warranty expires..
My credit is pretty damn good (815 Fico), I will be putting down (so far) around 9000 down (so definitely more than 20% which is recommended).
This is my dilemma, i have been doing research and looking at all angle let's take the enthusiast for example.
According to Carsdirect.com the invoice price is 28,371 (edmunds says 27,425....don't know who's right) and msrp 30,660. Their price once you add the splash guards, kick plates, floor mats, trunk mat and destination charge is 28,671, the Base is 27,391
I am also a member of Costco and I remember going to a Nissan Dealership about a month back and the manager told me the Costco price was 2% over invoice
Then option 3 of of course haggle and try to get it locally for invoice (or maybe less).
So far I've only gone to a couple of dealerships to "see" and without doing any haggling, one dealer told me they were selling "right around sticker"...sure..
Then i went to a second dealer and the manager was really trying to get me to buy one, even though i said form the get-go i was just shopping around...he "offered" 1000 under invoice...i dont know how true that was and if he would have actually done it had i called his offer..
then a 3rd dealer who i contacted by email said he could do a base for 27K (plus TTL)(no pricing given on enthusiast)
What do you guys think is my better bet....anyone bought online tru cars direct? or locally tru Costco? Both of these would be no haggle type deals at a supposedly decent price slightly over invoice....or i'm realistically going to be able to haggle to invoice or lower in person.?
BY the way another dealer I contacted I told him how this manager at the second dealership had offered me 1000 under invoice and he said,"if Maroone (the other dealership) offered you 1000 over invoice go with them cos i will not lose 1000 to sell you a car"... strong attitude...
Old 05-11-2007, 08:12 AM
islandsnow

try haggle first, if a few dealers already quoted you a 1000 off invoice, they're trying to get rid of the car. Find the Z you want from the nissan usa site at the dealerships near you. Go speak to the internet/fleet managet there. Mention the 1000 off invoice from another dealer, and see what they say. Don't fall for the how much a month can you pay or other financing scams they pull on you. If they start doing weird things walk out. Tell them you have an appointment with another dealer and will get back with them. If all of them flake, go with the costco 2% over invoice, that's not bad. But line up your financing before you go so you're in and out of there as fast as possible.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cars are sold face-to-face. Find the 350Z that you want. Visit the seller. Make an offer.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
lamaz

Invest some time reading www.carbuyingtips.com. If possible always go for the internet sales manager, or fleet manager. Typically these are people who don't work off of comision. Think of it, if you try to haggle somebody who will directly profit from the price of the vehicle they sell you, you are literally trying to take money out of his pocket.

NEVER negotiate from MSRP or invoice down. ALWAYS start from true cost up.

true cost = invoice - holdback (2 to 3 percent) - any hidden dealer incentives

I got mine at true cost + $750. I literally negotiated this price, before they even had the pricing back when the 2006 was about to come out.

-LamaZ
Old 05-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Louis21

Thanks guys! I'm definitely still going to haggle at the dealer, i was just trying to get an idea if it was really worth it when those other options are available....guess it is.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:10 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Cars are sold face-to-face. Find the 350Z that you want. Visit the seller. Make an offer.
They are also sold over the internet. The last 4 new vehicle I bought (including my Z) were purchased over teh internet, and I only went to the dealership to pay for them, and pick them up. And actually, they delivered my Z to the house, so I NEVER had to go to the dealerhip at all for that purchase.

And for a number of years prior to internet transactions, I bought all new cars by phone and/or fax.

Unless you really enjoy the "dealership experience", I really don't know why anyone would buy a car the traditional way . I rank a trip to a dealerhip about on par with a root canal.

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 05-11-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:24 PM
zbeater

Originally Posted by davidv
Amen. Your not a serious buyer until your are sitting in front of salesman.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:41 PM
zbeater

Originally Posted by bailey bill
They are also sold over the internet. The last 4 new vehicle I bought (including my Z) were purchased over teh internet, and I only went to the dealership to pay for them, and pick them up. And actually, they delivered my Z to the house, so I NEVER had to go to the dealerhip at all for that purchase.

And for a number of years prior to internet transactions, I bought all new cars by phone and/or fax.

Unless you really enjoy the "dealership experience", I really don't know why anyone would buy a car the traditional way . I rank a trip to a dealerhip about on par with a root canal.

bill

While that may have worked in for you, most dealerships don't take you serious until you are there in person. I know i have worked for several. Even the ones with an internet department/manager still want you to come in to finalize the deal. You maybe able to prove yourself a serious buyer by making serveral contacts with the dealership, but that will take days or weeks instead of hours.

All personal preference I guess.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Bill. Why go through the hassle at dealer?

Actually, I go one better; I use a car broker. She cuts deal and car is delivered to my front door. Last two cars I've bought, I never saw the dealer and spent not more than 20 minutes on either car once I did my homework on knowing what I wanted.

On one car I just handed them a personal check upon delivery. On the other I negociated the loan for about half the price over phone; signed loan agreement & handed them a personal check for other half when car was delivered.

Last edited by The Brickyard Rat; 05-11-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:33 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by zbeater
While that may have worked in for you, most dealerships don't take you serious until you are there in person.
Well, I'm certainly not being argumentative, but everytime i have said "Email me the total OTD figure. I'll bring a certified check in at 9 o'clock tomorrow. Have the car ready", no one has ever said no.

Back when I bought crs by telephone, every once in a while a salesman woujld say "Oh, we can't do business like that". I would politely reply that "...that's OK, I will just go on to a dealer that will." And I never had to look very far to find one.

Actually, when i bought the Z (just about a year ago), I dealt with a dealership about 140 miles from here (Charlotte, NC). I told them I wouldn't be able to come pick it up and close the deal until the following weekend, and they agreed to deliver it that day, no charge. The sales guy drove my new Z up (3 hour drive, one way), and another employee followed him to take him home. So I guess they took me seriously. BTW, My purchase price was $300 below invoice.

BTW, I'm a builder and real estate salesman. People buy houses over the internet. When a buyer sends me an email making an offer on a property, you better believe I take it seriously.

In the last 2 years, I have built custom homes for 3 different California buyers. They selected plans from an internet site, sent me a 20% deposit and a loan commitment letter from their bank. About 4 months later, they flew in for the closing, and saw the house for the first time. Why should buying a car be more complicated?

Like i said, if yu enjoy the dealership experience, then great. But for me, buying a car is not a competitive sport.

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 05-11-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:45 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
I'm with Bill. Why go through the hassle at dealer?

Actually, I go one better; I use a car broker. She cuts deal and car is delivered to my front door. Last two cars I've bought, I never saw the dealer and spent not more than 20 minutes on either car once I did my homework on knowing what I wanted.

My first internet car purchase was actually through carsdirect.com. It was a
'97 Hardbody, and at that time, a lot of dealerships didn't really have internet sales departments. And it was also a very simple, hassle-free purchase. Your total OTD price was calculated right on line. And like you, I just took a certified check to the cooperating dealership, and picked up the truck.

Now that almost all dealerships have internet sales deparments, I simply search their online inventory, pick the one that meet my criteria, then email an offer.

And as I said, I have never had any problem being taken seriously.

bill
Old 05-12-2007, 07:13 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

The predominate attitude among the group on my350 seems to be you have to go negociate a deal in person with the dealer to get best/fair price. I don't get it. With all the other options available there is no reason to go through the grief. Seems to me guys just want to prove they have a bigger "wick" than the dealer staff.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:47 PM
bailey bill

Let's face it, the only reason this dealership business model continues is because in spite of their *****in' and moaning, lots of buyers really enjoy the game. They really do see buying a car as some competitive event, and really believe they can "beat the dealer".

But buyers are amatuers, and dealer salesman are pros. They are trained, and they do this for a living, day in and day out. And when you thnk about it, they also hold all the cards. When you go in and haggle, in addition to wasting hours, or days, the best you can hope for is just a fair deal. And most buyers don't even get that.

But like I said, for buyers that like the dealership experience, go for it. I'll just keep searching online inventories and emailing offers. Works for me.

bill

bill

Last edited by bailey bill; 05-13-2007 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 AM
StylesCD

you can get like 500 below offer if you haggle
Old 05-19-2007, 08:06 AM
n8vz

Buy it online/internet sales department. Less hassel and the price was negotiated before I even arrived at the dealership. And you don't have to waste your time with those dishonest floor salesmen.
I bought my 03 brand new when the Z first came out. Every floor salesmen wants to sell at MRSP, but I was able get it a few hunrdred bucks over invoce price. Not a bad deal at the time.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 AM
Louis21

I've been using thew Carsdirect price as a "base" price when I go to the dealerships. The carsdirect price for the Z s 300 over invoice plus TTL. The dealers I have been to have wanted to sell the car to me for invoice but then tag in a 600 dealer fee on top of it, which makes it more expensive than the online price.
Finally yesterday went to one dealer and after I explained to him that I was looking online, and other dealers were trying to get me hooked with invoice price but then add a 600 dealer fee. He agreed to get me the car at 600 below invoice, so that when the dealer fee is applied the price will be invoice.
Sounds good?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:04 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Yes but look for other hidden fees before you sign. If financing through Nissan be sure rate is compeitive with no hidden finance fees.

Lots of ways for dealer to get ya!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM
davidv

Question

So how is the shopping coming along?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:32 AM
Louis21

Ended up haggling with the dealer, got it for 28.7k (300 over invoice) for the black Enthusiast in MT. It was the only one around...I had haggled with another dealer down to invoice but it was not the color i wanted so for 300 bucks it was worth it.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
davidv

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Louis21
Ended up haggling with the dealer, got it for 28.7k (300 over invoice) for the black Enthusiast in MT. It was the only one around...I had haggled with another dealer down to invoice but it was not the color i wanted so for 300 bucks it was worth it.
Congratulations.