Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Need advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM
AED55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on purchase

A local dealer has a 2003 Enthusiast with 44K miles on it for $15K. It is supposed to be a one owner local trade in excellent condition. A basic Carfax report was posted on their site, and it seems to have a clear history. I am going to take a look at it and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

If it is in the condition they say, would this be a fair price? They supposedly reduced it from an original price of 16K.

Also if it looks promising, should I have a Nissan dealer take a look at it? There is one about a mile down the road from this dealer. What on average would a Nissan dealer charge to do an inspection?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is my first Z purchase, and I want to be as informed as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes on Nissan mechanic checking it out; $100-200.

Cheap for piece of mind.

Price not bad.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Blu Hvn

Congrats on educating your self on the Z BEFORE you buy it. Too many buy it then start asking questions.
As already mentioned, be sure to have it inspected.
It may also be helpful to get on sites like autotrader and craigslist and look for comparable Z's (year, mileage, equipment, etc.) and see what they're listed at. I'm guessing the dealer can/will come down more.
Good luck!
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 AM
freedonutss

Id pay for a mechanic to check it out. Give kbb.com a visit to see if you are getting a fair deal.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The price is reasonable.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 PM
Hexxus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
The price is right .
Old 01-26-2009, 09:15 AM
AED55

Originally Posted by Blu Hvn
Congrats on educating your self on the Z BEFORE you buy it. Too many buy it then start asking questions.
As already mentioned, be sure to have it inspected.
It may also be helpful to get on sites like autotrader and craigslist and look for comparable Z's (year, mileage, equipment, etc.) and see what they're listed at. I'm guessing the dealer can/will come down more.
Good luck!
I'm thinking I can get them to come down a little more, since the car has been on the lot for quite a while, I'm guessing because of the economy and also the lousy winter weather we have here in Ohio.

I was also thinking about presenting the following proposal to see if they bite.
I will take the car to the Nissan dealer and have it inspected, if it passes I will pay for the inspection and purchase the car at a previously agreed price.

If it fails, they cover inspection cost and we part company. Of course if they agree to pay for any defects found from the inspection, I will still honor the deal to purchase the car minus the repair costs.

Depending on what they have in the car, they might just go for it. Any opinions?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Doubt they will pay for inspection under any circumstance.

Agreeing on price first is good idea. Then, after inspection on your dime, asking dealer to pay for any repairs is fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
AED55

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Doubt they will pay for inspection under any circumstance.

Agreeing on price first is good idea. Then, after inspection on your dime, asking dealer to pay for any repairs is fine.
Thanks, Makes a lot more sense than my idea.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

What model did you get?
Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
AED55

Originally Posted by davidv
What model did you get?
I took a look at the 03 and the overall condition looked good. When I asked about getting it inpected they replied that all of their trade in's are went over with a fine tooth comb in their own shop before being put on the lot and there was no need for an independent inspection. Besides that, the car only had one previous owner and he was a sixty year old attorney. I'm not sure what that had to do with the present mechanical condition of the car. It kind of reminded me of the old story about the little old lady that only drove to church on Sunday.

At this point I had no intention of buying the car from them, but figured I would have some fun anyway. I asked, since the car was supposed to be in such perfect condition would they give me a 12K or 1 year power train warranty at no extra charge, and of course they refused.

Guess I'll keep looking till I find a good car at the right price.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:44 PM
E-licious

Originally Posted by AED55
I took a look at the 03 and the overall condition looked good. When I asked about getting it inpected they replied that all of their trade in's are went over with a fine tooth comb in their own shop before being put on the lot and there was no need for an independent inspection. Besides that, the car only had one previous owner and he was a sixty year old attorney. I'm not sure what that had to do with the present mechanical condition of the car. It kind of reminded me of the old story about the little old lady that only drove to church on Sunday.

At this point I had no intention of buying the car from them, but figured I would have some fun anyway. I asked, since the car was supposed to be in such perfect condition would they give me a 12K or 1 year power train warranty at no extra charge, and of course they refused.

Guess I'll keep looking till I find a good car at the right price.
Good choice. I wouldn't buy a car if someone refused an independent inspection either. Plus the price is kind of high for an '03.