Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 PM
DaMaGe_LIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice?

Hey guys, I'm new on the forum.

I'm almost 24 years old, and am interested in buying a 350z as my first car. I've been driving the family toyota 4runner suv, and felt that it's time I get my own car. I've read some posts about 350z's as a first car, and every one that I've seen were started by some 15 year old kid. Of course no one would recommend anything as fancy as a Z to them, since a lot of teenagers just want to go fast. So advising me as an adult, do you guys think that a 350z is a good choice for a first car?

As for me, I am not interested in racing a 350z or doing anything crazy, I just absolutely love how the car looks.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy a 2007+ keep it stock and enjoy it.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:07 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by lgear080
buy a 2007+ keep it stock and enjoy it.
^ this. Keep it stock-ish. That's how my 07 is. A nice subtle drop on good struts, wheel spacers and a front lip makes the Z look really clean. Seems like you've been driving for a while, so I see no problem with this as your first car. Have you driven stick before? It may not be the best car for you to learn stick on, however.

Last edited by pbn85; 09-08-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 AM
DaMaGe_LIVE

Unfortunately I don't know how to drive stick, but was thinking of taking a course how at a driving school before purchasing the car.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 AM
DaMaGe_LIVE

As for buying 2007+ models I'm guessing that's due to problems from the older years?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:06 AM
pbn85

Originally Posted by DaMaGe_LIVE
As for buying 2007+ models I'm guessing that's due to problems from the older years?
That, and the motor is completely reworked in the 07+ (vq35hr) motor compared to the 03-06 (vq35de) motor. Also the 07+ has a few nice exterior upgrades over older years. Look into it.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:00 PM
bbeatonVT

As long as you're responsible and at a point in your life where it's a blessing and not a burden (not a family car, you can afford the payments and maintenance, etc) then the z would be a great car. Check with your insurance company to make sure you can also afford the monthly bill.

This is from edmunds.com on the 2007 350z for what it's worth:
For 2007, sharp eyes will notice a new look for the hood, which has a Z-themed retro-look power dome. Underneath it is an updated version of the car's 3.5-liter V6 engine. Nissan says the new engine has been upgraded with a stronger block, a higher rev limit and compression ratio, a twin ram-air intake and variable exhaust camshaft timing. Looking at the power specs, though, one might wonder why Nissan went to the trouble. The new 306-hp output is hardly better than last year's 300 hp. However, the new engine's figures are based on a more rigorous SAE testing procedure. (For comparison, applying the new procedure to last year's engine would probably result in actual variation of about 15-20 hp.) More importantly, this year's V6 has a broader range of usable torque, with 90 percent of its 268 pound-foot peak available from 2,000-7,000 rpm.
As far as the stick option goes, it's up to you. I've driven manual and auto z's, and they're both fun. Having said that, I got my z at age 27 with little experience driving stick. I live in a town with lots of stop signs on hills, and lots of undergrads and onlookers. I'm glad I went with a manual transmission (moreso now that I'm past the initial learning curve hump), but it's just a small part of why I love the car.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
pbgrep

only thing i would add is to be prepared financially... You might have zero issues with your car for years, but in my case after two months of owning the Z it was in the shop, first a cam sensor and not two weeks later driver window acting up on me... Had my last truck for 6 years and counting and have had fewer headaches.

Probably luck of the draw, but with any sports car just be ready to drop a chunk of change for repairs opposed to a camry or accord that will run for 100 years with crude oil in the gas tank and riding on the rims. Even with all that mess I would still recommend it, worth the price for me not to be driving another boring sedan...
Last thing, I now stick with nissan as they're engines seem to be extremely reliable as long as they're not messed with, so a hundred bucks here and there, but wont be replacing entire engines with these cars.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:35 PM
99zx2

Originally Posted by pbgrep
only thing i would add is to be prepared financially... You might have zero issues with your car for years, but in my case after two months of owning the Z it was in the shop, first a cam sensor and not two weeks later driver window acting up on me... Had my last truck for 6 years and counting and have had fewer headaches.

Probably luck of the draw, but with any sports car just be ready to drop a chunk of change for repairs opposed to a camry or accord that will run for 100 years with crude oil in the gas tank and riding on the rims. Even with all that mess I would still recommend it, worth the price for me not to be driving another boring sedan...
Last thing, I now stick with nissan as they're engines seem to be extremely reliable as long as they're not messed with, so a hundred bucks here and there, but wont be replacing entire engines with these cars.
you really posted this in a diy forum? cam sensor and a window regulator (trouble spot on a lot of z's is what i hear) is not an unbearable diy task for which you should bring your car to a "shop". that camry/accord statement is ignorance at its best as well. \rant
Old 09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
pbgrep

Originally Posted by 99zx2
you really posted this in a diy forum? cam sensor and a window regulator (trouble spot on a lot of z's is what i hear) is not an unbearable diy task for which you should bring your car to a "shop". that camry/accord statement is ignorance at its best as well. \rant
its not a rant, its a personal experience, moron
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 PM
99zx2

Originally Posted by pbgrep
its not a rant, its a personal experience, moron
be careful out here, partna. internet be serious biznis.

anyway, go for it, op. i'm still on a look-out myself. make sure you test-drive it good and check all the regular "issue" spots.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
ericdiaz

Great reviews, I love my car and I love to learn DIY techniques.