Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a salvaged 350z bad?

Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM
vahallo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a salvaged 350z bad?

Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, as you can probably tell, and I have a question about the price of a salvaged 350z, like an 04' one. I have been on almost every craigslist page for every city in california and I see them going for anywhere from 4-6k. The thing is, a clean good condition 350z is only worth 5k base, according to KBB.

And KBB refuses to price salvaged vehicles because of all the variable, which is fine. So I did some research and saw that salvaged vehicles are typically worth only about have of what the KBB value is. So would be buying a salvaged 350z for 4.5K be a bad deal? (assuming that the car checks out well.) because everyone and there mother is overpricing the car on craiglist, and I don't feel like dropping 7-8k on a clean one when its only worth 5k.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
tommy smith

Default Oh wow !

Originally Posted by vahallo
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, as you can probably tell, and I have a question about the price of a salvaged 350z, like an 04' one. I have been on almost every craigslist page for every city in california and I see them going for anywhere from 4-6k. The thing is, a clean good condition 350z is only worth 5k base, according to KBB.

And KBB refuses to price salvaged vehicles because of all the variable, which is fine. So I did some research and saw that salvaged vehicles are typically worth only about have of what the KBB value is. So would be buying a salvaged 350z for 4.5K be a bad deal? (assuming that the car checks out well.) because everyone and there mother is overpricing the car on craiglist, and I don't feel like dropping 7-8k on a clean one when its only worth 5k.

Thanks
A subject that never was brought up here
Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
D3vst8r96gt

Its personal preference, i wouldnt pay half the "fair condition" price for a salvage title.

Resale value, if you ever get rid of it.
bolt on parts not bolting up
insurance companies refusing to deal with you.

regardless if it was fixed cheap or properly... you will have headaches .... its a used car.

Originally Posted by tommy smith
yes it has I joined a few days ago and this is the 2nd time its come up.
1. you added nothing positive to the thread
2. you push people from your community with comments like this
3. This is a forum for a car ~10 yrs old. the values have gone down and entered a new demo graphic, get used to repeat questions.

would it be cool is newbs searched yes! is it always gonna happen? no. Best thing you can do it treat them nice answer thier questions and post links to old thread with thte info they want. Now I wouldn't have ranted if you put your 2cents in.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:10 PM
tommy smith

Default how about a little fun ????

Originally Posted by d3st8r96gt
Its personal preference, i wouldnt pay half the "fair condition" price for a salvage title.

Resale value, if you ever get rid of it.
bolt on parts not bolting up
insurance companies refusing to deal with you.

regardless if it was fixed cheap or properly... you will have headaches .... its a used car.

yes it has I joined a few days ago and this is the 2nd time its come up.
1. you added nothing positive to the thread
2. you push people from your community with comments like this
3. This is a forum for a car ~10 yrs old. the values have gone down and entered a new demo graphic, get used to repeat questions.

would it be cool is newbs searched yes! is it always gonna happen? no. Best thing you can do it treat them nice answer thier questions and post links to old thread with thte info they want. Now I wouldn't have ranted if you put your 2cents in.
Don't be so serious....
Old 02-19-2015, 01:17 PM
monztr

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$4-6K Z33's don't exist where I live unless they are rebuilt title cars. Just to clarify when a car is totaled and the title is "junked" the can can be transferred but not licensed with a salvage title. Once the car has been put back together and inspected a rebuilt title is issued for the car then it can be licensed for street use again. Your state process might differ a bit but thats seems to be pretty standard, so what we are talking about is a car that has been rebuilt, inspected and titled as a legal car to be licenced and has a "rebuilt title".

From my experience a car with a rebuilt title is worth 50-70% of a clean title car, and in some cases less, and in some cases far more. A car rebuilt right will bring more than one that was slapped together with bondo and duct tape. Also a car that was salvaged due to theft recovery versus one that was literally cut in half. Cars like the Lotus Elise take only a small price hit due to the rarity and popularity whereas a focus is more like 1/3 the value of a non rebuilt car due to the great number of cars and the lack of desirability. just know that when you go to sell a salvage title vehicle you will have a much harder time moving it and it will likely bring 1/2 a non salvaged car so buy smart, I personally wouldn't buy a salvage title 350z unless I had some first hand knowledge of the story or it was priced at about half a clean title car. Seems many "rebuilders" slap them together and then just undercut the market for a clean title car.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:17 PM
bena1916

https://my350z.com/forum/nismo-350z/...ilt-title.html

This thread was about a Nismo but the same lessons apply--good luck.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:38 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

Just have it checked out by a through mechanic
Old 02-20-2015, 06:57 AM
93viperrt10

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monztr
$4-6K Z33's don't exist where I live unless they are rebuilt title cars. Just to clarify when a car is totaled and the title is "junked" the can can be transferred but not licensed with a salvage title. Once the car has been put back together and inspected a rebuilt title is issued for the car then it can be licensed for street use again. Your state process might differ a bit but thats seems to be pretty standard, so what we are talking about is a car that has been rebuilt, inspected and titled as a legal car to be licenced and has a "rebuilt title".

From my experience a car with a rebuilt title is worth 50-70% of a clean title car, and in some cases less, and in some cases far more. A car rebuilt right will bring more than one that was slapped together with bondo and duct tape. Also a car that was salvaged due to theft recovery versus one that was literally cut in half. Cars like the Lotus Elise take only a small price hit due to the rarity and popularity whereas a focus is more like 1/3 the value of a non rebuilt car due to the great number of cars and the lack of desirability. just know that when you go to sell a salvage title vehicle you will have a much harder time moving it and it will likely bring 1/2 a non salvaged car so buy smart, I personally wouldn't buy a salvage title 350z unless I had some first hand knowledge of the story or it was priced at about half a clean title car. Seems many "rebuilders" slap them together and then just undercut the market for a clean title car.
Monztr did a great job of describing this issue . I purchased a Salvage 2006Lotus Elise in 2013, that had taken a minor hit. I took alot of photos to establish the condition of the car before the work and throughout the reconstruction process. Because of this and the fact that most buyers know they get totaled for very minor damage I think I could get 70-80% of a clean titled car. Keep in mind this is a very clean, professionally done , less than 10k miles car.

My original intent was to to rebuild the Lotus and track it. Well it turned out to be such a nice rebuild and was worth more than I expected, I had reservation with it being my track day car. Recently I purchased a Salvage 2006 350Z GT. It took a hit mid driver door, minor damage to fender and part of the quarter panel. Clips broken on Rocker molding, wheel and compression rod damaged. Again lots of photos, bought a color matched door, repaired qtr and fender, replaced wheel and suspension part. $80 alignment and it is at recertification shop as I write this. My intent is to track this car however if I was to sell it I would most likely ask $8k for it and still make some money.

Key to buying a salvage car is what was the damage that caused them to total it. If you look at a 2004 350Z, my guess is its retail is about $8k therefore an insurance company will total that car if it sustained $6k worth of damage. At todays body shop prices, that is not very much damage. Cover alone is over a $1k, throw in a fender and hood + $3k more, adds up quick. Therefore you could buy a salvage car for $2k, replace all these parts with salvage parts for $1500 and the finished product could be a really roadworthy car for $3500 if you did the work yourself.

Problem lies in that someone buys that same car but in addition to the body damage, it took a hard hit which damaged frame. Since your buyign these cars sight unseen, that could happened and now they're screwed. So they patch it up best they can and throw it on craigslist and hope to unload it on someone else.

My advise to anyone buying a rebuilt title is to ask for either detailed photos of the damage prior to the rebuild or at least the shop estimate the insurance company used when assessing the damage prior totaling it.

I would have no reservations buying a well documented rebuilt titled car but would be really cautious of one that you do not know the extent of damage.

Another red flag, do not buy a R titled car that has changed hands often in short period of time as my guess is something is wrong with it.

Last edited by 93viperrt10; 02-20-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Hey all,

Thanks

KBB doesn't mean fk all.

Remember, it was written off for a reason...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 AM
Highway Riding

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts

KBB is useless.. Dealers use galves
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 AM
slow7

I don't feel like dropping 7-8k on a clean one when its only worth 5k.

Thanks
7-8k is not bad for a clean one but that's just me, i wouldn't go buy a salvage tittle car you don't want problems later on in life btw welcome to the forum hope you get a Z
Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I would not buy a car with a salvaged title.

You may not know why the car was "totaled." It is very different having a car severely damaged in a crash than one that was submerged in a flood. --Spike
Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM
FairladyBlue

assuming you know what a salvage z entails.. whether it's good or bad is entirely up to you

Last edited by FairladyBlue; 02-20-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 AM
kron1024

Idk but I'm trying to get rid of my z lol need a back seat just sucks I'm upside down on it 08z
Old 02-24-2015, 12:23 PM
D3vst8r96gt

Don't be so serious....
Was having a rough day felt like standing up for a newb sorry brosef
Old 01-28-2021, 01:34 PM
et1123

some people just can't help showing their ***
Old 01-28-2021, 02:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by et1123
some people just can't help showing their ***
6 year dead thread bump
Old 11-05-2021, 05:28 PM
mybabyz000ms88

Since im not a mechanic I am nervous about purchasing any vehicle with a salvaged title.

You never know what you're getting yourself into.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2021, 06:44 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

Originally Posted by mybabyz000ms88
Since im not a mechanic I am nervous about purchasing any vehicle with a salvaged title.

You never know what you're getting yourself into.

Good luck
See my post above yours.....almost 7 years late