Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

HELP might buy 03 350z

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
Tysonm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP might buy 03 350z

Hi everyone, I am in the market for a vehicle and I found an 03 350z Touring 6spd with clean title and 79xxx miles and he is asking $8,500. I will post all the problems I noticed when I test drove the car and I am hoping someone can tell me roughly how much it would cost to fix some of these problems and what would be a good price to pay for the car.

The car is black and has orange leather.
1. Passenger seat has a cut in the upper back, maybe 2.5" long, which someone tried to glue it back together.

2. Front bumper has some good scrapes & scuffs from hitting something, The bumper isn't broken, but I am pretty sure the scratches are easily through the clear coat.

3. Driver front fender has a quite a few rock chips and you can see the metal.

4. driver side tail light has a lot of condensation in it

5. Head lights are glazed over

6. 3rd gear grinds a lot and it is super annoying (seller said it's the syncro's, but he didn't seem very car savvy)

7. lots of swirls all throughout the paint

8. Driver seat motor needs to be replaced

9. Passenger windows rolls all the way up and half way down, on its own sometimes

10. I noticed the back end squeaks a lot. Which I am not positive, but I believe it's the shocks. I'm not sure if it's possible to get rid of squeeky shocks without replacing them or not.

11. car does have aftermarket 19" wheels (which one rim has a slight bend in it, but tires holds pressure) and aftermarket short air intake, Slotted rotors, and has aftermarket speakers/tweeters/subwoofer(subwoofer is quite beat though) and it also has a touch screen head unit which I believe is aftermarket.

I would realistically like to get this car to look brand new again. How much do you think it would cost to get all the parts replaced/fixed and what would be a good price to offer for the car?

Last edited by Tysonm; 06-11-2015 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added problems I forgot about
Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

$5000 to 6000. Depending on what you do.
Bumper and fender paint 600
Headlight cleaning 30
New transmission 2000
New tail lamps 300
New struts around 700
New wheels or used oem set 500-800
500 for cut and buff maybe more.
500-1000 for oem seats or recover at shop.
Id look for a better condition vehicle.

Last edited by nizmo_0385; 06-11-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:45 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

what is your budget?
Old 06-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Tysonm

Well I don't want to be into the car for more then it's worth. Which clean retail is roughly $10,600. I think I could buff out the swirls but I don't know the best way to go about the driver fender and front bumper, which I think could get pricey. Then the 3rd gear grinding will probably be pricey, but I am not sure since I don't know exactly what is causing it. All other gears are fine, it's just 3rd.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:07 PM
travlee
Master

patience pays off.... take you time, you will find one that is better
Old 06-11-2015, 06:15 PM
Tysonm

I have been patient. I have been looking hours a day for particular sports cars for about 5 months now. I thought this 350z was in decent shape, but I would definitely want to fix it up but I don't know anything about prices for fixing it up.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 PM
travlee
Master

dude i sold my hr with over 8k in parts on it, for under 15k. they are out there, you have to look and not settle
Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep! don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket it will be well worth it to wait until you find the perfect Z trust me there out there,you will be glad you waited,with cash in hand you have way more options if you just wait it out!!
Old 06-11-2015, 11:50 PM
slow7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill recommend wait till u fine a virgin Z there are some still out there, with the money ur gonna invest in the z ur looking at u can get a better one, but its ur money do what u think is best
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 AM
NoQuestionZ

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tysonm
Well I don't want to be into the car for more then it's worth. Which clean retail is roughly $10,600. I think I could buff out the swirls but I don't know the best way to go about the driver fender and front bumper, which I think could get pricey. Then the 3rd gear grinding will probably be pricey, but I am not sure since I don't know exactly what is causing it. All other gears are fine, it's just 3rd.
Hi everyone, I am in the market for a vehicle and I found an 03 350z Touring 6spd with clean title and 79xxx miles and he is asking $8,500. I will post all the problems I noticed when I test drove the car and I am hoping someone can tell me roughly how much it would cost to fix some of these problems and what would be a good price to pay for the car.

The car is black and has orange leather.
1. Passenger seat has a cut in the upper back, maybe 2.5" long, which someone tried to glue it back together.

No cheap fix for this, except the glue already there. It doesn't change the seat's functionality though-I would skip for now

2. Front bumper has some good scrapes & scuffs from hitting something, The bumper isn't broken, but I am pretty sure the scratches are easily through the clear coat.

Pictures of this would help determine the ability to fix or not. If it's scraped on the bottom 1/4th of the bumper, welcome to low car life I would skip for now

3. Driver front fender has a quite a few rock chips and you can see the metal.

They make color matching touch up paint for the Z. I have a can of it, but haven't bothered to use it. The Z's paint is cheap, so this is common. I would touch it with clear coat and leave for now.

4. driver side tail light has a lot of condensation in it

New tails from 03-05 models come up in the marketplace for ~$100

5. Head lights are glazed over

Look into Depo 06+ headlights if the car has HIDs. I think the 03-05 ballasts are compatible with these. Otherwise I know I bought a set of 03-05 headlights with no internals for ~$150

6. 3rd gear grinds a lot and it is super annoying (seller said it's the syncro's, but he didn't seem very car savvy)

3rd gear grind IS the synchro. You can either skip 3rd or get a new trans ~$2k as mentioned.

7. lots of swirls all throughout the paint

Depending on the depth (pix would help) claybar the car and buff/wax/Chemical Guys the crud out of it. ??~$100??

8. Driver seat motor needs to be replaced

I don't think there is a fix for this. Buy a good comfy race seat or look for a set of manual seats for now in the marketplace

9. Passenger windows rolls all the way up and half way down, on its own sometimes

Common with all Zs. My 08 is starting to do this off and on. The window motor can be cleaned (Free) or a new motor can be purchased refurbished off someone on here ~$100

10. I noticed the back end squeaks a lot. Which I am not positive, but I believe it's the shocks. I'm not sure if it's possible to get rid of squeeky shocks without replacing them or not.

Buy some decent coilovers ~$1000 or less

11. car does have aftermarket 19" wheels (which one rim has a slight bend in it, but tires holds pressure) and aftermarket short air intake, Slotted rotors, and has aftermarket speakers/tweeters/subwoofer(subwoofer is quite beat though) and it also has a touch screen head unit which I believe is aftermarket.

If the wheel is fixable that's $100 there. If not buy one replacement wheel or look in the marketplace for a set of stock wheels $500-1000 with tires

Replace the sub as desired. doesn't determine performance. unplug if it's terrible. Walmart sells cheap subs for under $75

I would realistically like to get this car to look brand new again. How much do you think it would cost to get all the parts replaced/fixed and what would be a good price to offer for the car?
I would offer $6000 mentioning all the items listed. Be sure to state that it's a starting point for negotiations!!!!!!!! I think out the door at $7k is manageable.

Don't settle for this car unless you KNOW what you're getting into. If you want it as a side project to "restore" then it sounds great. I would NOT buy it as a daily simply because if the exterior is this "trashed" imagine the engine maintenance
Old 06-12-2015, 04:51 AM
travlee
Master

https://my350z.com/forum/zs-and-gs-f...ianapolis.html
Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 AM
travlee
Master

https://my350z.com/forum/zs-and-gs-f...auburn-al.html
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

It is 12 years old. If these are the problems you noticed im sure their are others you didn't. However every problem seems very minor. If you want a pristine car your probably not going to get it for that price.. But I think the offer 6 and aim for 7 is a good plan if you like the car, if not I would plan on spending around 10k+ for a 12 year old garage queen.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
dude i sold my hr with over 8k in parts on it, for under 15k. they are out there, you have to look and not settle
Originally Posted by bad boyz
Yep! don't let your money burn a hole in your pocket it will be well worth it to wait until you find the perfect Z trust me there out there,you will be glad you waited,with cash in hand you have way more options if you just wait it out!!
Originally Posted by slow7
ill recommend wait till u fine a virgin Z there are some still out there, with the money ur gonna invest in the z ur looking at u can get a better one, but its ur money do what u think is best
Originally Posted by dboyzalter
It is 12 years old. If these are the problems you noticed im sure their are others you didn't. However every problem seems very minor. If you want a pristine car your probably not going to get it for that price.. But I think the offer 6 and aim for 7 is a good plan if you like the car, if not I would plan on spending around 10k+ for a 12 year old garage queen.
To jump on the bandwagon... +1 all above ^^

OP, heed all the warnings... especially NoQuestionZ's detailed response.

Unknown issues will get you in the butt EVERY time.

BTW, A lot of '03, some '04+ models are KNOWN for the "gronky 3rd gear" malady. No upgrade solution in the stock transmission other than replace with later model CD009 transmission.