Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

I wonder if I could afford one

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:10 PM
370Dreams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wonder if I could afford one

I don't make too much money about 32,640.00 a year. I have a 750 credit score. I am in college but it is for my second degree and I work in my industry. I want a 2017 Nissan 370z nismo fo r 35k it has 10k miles on it. I have no bills other than like a phone bill and I have no car payment or anything like that. As soon as I graduate I will get a raise to 50k a year. In the mean time I have a business and I am trying to get that going for turbo and such......What do you think? I want to spend about 540 a month with a income tax for a down payment......3k with a 1k trade in so 4k down.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:18 PM
carbuffguy

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 370Dreams
I don't make too much money about 32,640.00 a year. I have a 750 credit score. I am in college but it is for my second degree and I work in my industry. I want a 2017 Nissan 370z nismo fo r 35k it has 10k miles on it. I have no bills other than like a phone bill and I have no car payment or anything like that. As soon as I graduate I will get a raise to 50k a year. In the mean time I have a business and I am trying to get that going for turbo and such......What do you think? I want to spend about 540 a month with a income tax for a down payment......3k with a 1k trade in so 4k down.
Buy things that appreciate...a house and a used car - more used.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

OP's user name is appropriate.

Dude, that's just way out of your league. Sure, you could probably buy it...

......and live in someone's basement or couch surf and never change the oil and never mind upgrades and of course insurance isn't for everyone.... and need I go on? Going into debt that deeply just isn't worth it unless you can pay it down or off ahead of schedule and if you have to ask or wonder, you can't afford it because you haven't worked out the reality numbers yet.
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (10-27-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 PM
370Dreams

carbuffguy

I am studying a manner of things and I have devoted my life to it in ways that astound my bosses at work almost everyday. Not to toot my own horn but I study very hard high paying careers with a little twist of Art in there as well. ......Architecture, real estate development, financial markets, Rome, architecture practice, construction management, I want to get my residential contractor's license and an architects license and become a master builder. I have a two year degree and a job working with people who enjoy working with me. I am due for a large raise in the future, I am looking to design custom homes on the side..I will stop there, there is more. ....I love 370s why not try and get one? I have no kids or anything. I need a hobby and I study a lot with no life.....9-5 then college everyday.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:56 AM
carbuffguy

carbuffguy

I am studying a manner of things and I have devoted my life to it in ways that astound my bosses at work almost everyday. Not to toot my own horn but I study very hard high paying careers with a little twist of Art in there as well. ......Architecture, real estate development, financial markets, Rome, architecture practice, construction management, I want to get my residential contractor's license and an architects license and become a master builder. I have a two year degree and a job working with people who enjoy working with me. I am due for a large raise in the future, I am looking to design custom homes on the side..I will stop there, there is more. ....I love 370s why not try and get one? I have no kids or anything. I need a hobby and I study a lot with no life.....9-5 then college everyday.
Dude, the fact that you're here asking strangers if you should buy or not shows me that you know it's not a good idea (at this time)

"I study a lot with no life.....9-5 then college everyday." - That's a big payment for a car that's going to be sitting in a lot most of the time - getting dinged.

"I want to get my residential contractor's license and an architects license and become a master builder." - You need a truck, not a 2 door.

You seem like a smart hardworking guy. It doesn't make sense that you'd consider this. Z cars are toys - not practical. At a young age it's imperative that you don't make bad financial decisions. Skip the "I want" and stick the "I need" (Old guys aren't supposed to share this, cus we know it's bad decisions that keep the economies going. So, this is my good deed for the day)

On a side note, I got a great book you should read. It's right down your ".Architecture, real estate development, financial markets, Rome, architecture practice, construction management" alley.

- The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) Get it, read it, you'll love it...guaranteed!

Last edited by carbuffguy; 10-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by carbuffguy:
Atreyu'z 350 (10-21-2017), BigBlue (10-27-2017), Theminatar (10-26-2017), zakmartin (10-25-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 06:22 AM
370Dreams

I can tell that you are a wise man and I am still going thru the process of morphing into the person I am trying to be. I don't usually read on my spare time because I am so busy. I have a business up, I am in college, and I have a full time job. I do need a new car...lmao I need one bad. On a even sadder note I had a 95 eclipse rs that had a pearl copper paint job with chrome rims when I got out of high school. I wanted to build it so bad but was too young and needed some time to grow. If I could ask sir, since you seem to be so generous what should I get if I was trying to be smart?
Old 10-21-2017, 06:23 AM
370Dreams

I will check out the book though, thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 AM
carbuffguy

I can tell that you are a wise man and I am still going thru the process of morphing into the person I am trying to be. I don't usually read on my spare time because I am so busy. I have a business up, I am in college, and I have a full time job. I do need a new car...lmao I need one bad. On a even sadder note I had a 95 eclipse rs that had a pearl copper paint job with chrome rims when I got out of high school. I wanted to build it so bad but was too young and needed some time to grow. If I could ask sir, since you seem to be so generous what should I get if I was trying to be smart?
Wise haha, you obviously haven't read my other posts

"if I was trying to be smart?" Oh, I think you're smart enough...I guess the "wise" thing would be, something cheap - save and pay cash.
If you're going to start your own business you're going to need all the credit you can muster. Start-up and car payments are a recipe for disaster...It's just a car, no-big-deal, they make them every-single-day. Work hard/save your damn money and think man, think!

good luck!
Old 10-21-2017, 10:34 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

I would not pay that much for a 370, i do however pay that for a c6 z06. If i were you, i would drive what you have until you get that raise that you may not get. I agree with others, if you have to ask complete strangers if you can afford a car.....you cant.

we all want nice things in life, dobt get in over your head. You will eventually get to a point where you can have your toys without being broke
SirSpeedyZ (10-25-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 AM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by travlee
I would not pay that much for a 370, i do however pay that for a c6 z06. If i were you, i would drive what you have until you get that raise that you may not get. I agree with others, if you have to ask complete strangers if you can afford a car.....you cant.

we all want nice things in life, dobt get in over your head. You will eventually get to a point where you can have your toys without being broke
Not everybody wants nice things Trav. Me for instance, I be happy if I got 1 dang bird in my new dang birdfeeder...watchin and waitin, waitin and watchin....I'd better go check...
Old 10-21-2017, 11:41 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

You will prob get more squirrels than birds, especially now....trying to fatten up for winter
Old 10-21-2017, 11:46 AM
carbuffguy

Originally Posted by travlee
You will prob get more squirrels than birds, especially now....trying to fatten up for winter
Nope! got dogs for that problem...and they REALLY, REALLY HATE squirrels

...better check again haha...nope damn!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:53 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Start with an '08 Nismo 350Z. Good compromise. Much cheaper, still a Nismo. When you graduate and after you own property, get a fancier car.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:02 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

There's no greater teacher than experience. People come in here all the time asking for advice and then get an advanced case of the 'Butt Hurtz' when they get valuable life advice from people who've already walked that path.

So OP, I say you should get that 370. You've put in all the hard work and you deserve a fun car to show off to all your friends and coworkers. Now, when maintenance issues arise and you have to make those tough life decisions [i.e. 'Should I spend this $1300 on new tires or food?" ] I'm certain you'll make the right choice.

Also, not sure where you live but it's a really fun car to own/drive during the winter. Matter of fact, if you live in place that gets all four seasons we may see you pop up in our 'Dugan Thread' soon afterwards. Anyway, it's your money, your time and your life OP. Now go enjoy that damn car while you can!
Atreyu'z 350 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Buying it and being able to afford it are 2 totally different things.

You could probably buy one, but not afford it. What many people forget to account for is insurance increase, matinance increases, taxes, higher registration and all that lovely stuff that comes with it.

Basically if you have to ask, you probably can't. Sorry bud.

But I will give you credit for asking and actually processing the purchase. I see too many dumb young kids who have wine taste with beer money.

Buying cars they can't afford, either running from the repo messages shortly after, letting their car go to sht cause they can't afford to wash and upkeep it making it look like a $500 $32k car.

My girls ex for example. Dude gets new cars every 8 months, all look like sht after a couple months cause he can't afford them and they are always being repoed.

Then he cries for less child support cause he can't afford to pay his 4 cars he owes in, but yet he goes and buys another cause his last gets taken.

At least, you are already better than these people just by making this thread ����

Last edited by CK_32; 10-24-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

New cars suck, dealerships suck, warranties suck, the whole idea sucks... I would rather have an old **** box...

Also the 370 has been out for like 8 years already, you can get a used one for like $15k
iideadeyeii (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:57 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Buy what you want, but I would highly suggest not getting a car payment. Buy cars with cash and get a house
Old 10-25-2017, 01:40 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I'd worry about graduation and stacking that money
Old 10-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Theminatar

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Worry about what you need, not what you want.

Short story:

I have a really close friend, extremely responsible. We're in our 20's, he's making $83k/year as a Chemical Engineer. You know what he drives? '04 Toyota Camry, beat to hell with 220k miles on it. Sure he can afford a nicer car, but why? He's more concerned about retirement, and things that appreciate. Look at everything as an investment. How much are you going to get back on that car after you're done with it and sold it?

After you paid the car off, put money towards maintenance, upgrades, etc, and sell it. Are you going to be $20k-$30k upside down on it?