Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

MSRP PLUS-- Not Necessary! (repost)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 04:06 AM
Z&Jet-Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSRP PLUS-- Not Necessary! (repost)

I feel this post deserves it's own thread! Outstanding advise and very well done!

Originally posted by Bjmnzzzz
For those who have not pre-ordered, but would like a Z within the next 2-3 weeks, there are cancellations popping up several times each and every day! Try this...

In my 10 day quest in search of my very own Z, which I finally purchased today, I prepared in MS Word a "boilerplate" request letter detailing exactly the model, transmission, options and range of colors I was willing to accept. I was also very clear that I had cash in hand and was looking for immediate purchase and delivery anywhere in the Western US AT NO HIGHER THAN MSRP!

I then went to NISSANUSA website, "built out" my preferred car, ad then did a dealership search on every major city in the west (circumference within 100 miles of each city).

From the resulting list of dealers, I clicked on a dealer name and then on "Contact Dealer". This popped up a web form which I filled in with my contact info ONCE and THEN, cut and pasted my Request Letter ONCE into the details section, and voila, an email was immediately dispatched to the dealer.

I then proceeded to do the same action for each dealer for a given major city. After the first cut & paste and formfill, the Nissan website remembers all of your earlier entries so it is lightening fast to bang out emails to 10-15 dealerships in each major geographical area.

Over the period of one week I emailed at least 100 dealers in the Western US. I got response from approximately 50 of those dealers. Of the 50 who replied, 60% indicated a policy of selling no higher than MSRP. The others were going for the rip, so I discarded them, out of hand. Some dealers had cars available immediately but they did not meet my specs. Others were able to meet my specs with anticipated delivery sometime within an estimated 2-12 weeks. Others still said they could order the car for delivery in Jan or Feb. But being Type A and requiring on instant gratification, I held out for what I wanted, sooner rather than later.

Since I did not score a car on the first go around with each dealer, I replied ALL dealers (originally contacted) via email (and sometimes phone) to politely ask them to keep my name "at the top of the action list" should they get any cancellations. I promised to provide Credit Card deposit immediately upon mutual agreement on a car and delivery time and to fly whereever necessary to close the deal within 48 hours.

That "wedge" request which I delivered to every dealer, from whom I receive an initial response, paid off big time for me. Turns out that within the last 72 hours I had been contacted by at least 5 dealers who had acceptable cars available either immediately or for delivery between now and mid-November.

I decided on the best deal for me and wound up taking the train from Seattle to Portland ($24) where I was picked up and driven about an hour to a dealership that had my car. I got a great deal at about $500 below MSRP! This was a seredipidous and rare discount that one should not count on, however, it never hurts to ask.

My phone and email box is still being hit by dealerships wanting to work an immediate deal or willing to work with me for a delivery within 1-3 weeks.

My entire point is that it is not necessar to pay 1 dime over MSRP, because there are cancellations and "extra allocation" vehicles hitting the ground every day. You just have to get your name widely circulated as "a mover and a shaker" and be ready to spring promptly when contacted by the anxious or hungry dealer sales person (usually fleet or internet mgr) looking for a fast, clean $4,000 profit at MSRP+dealer holdback.

Also check the Classified Sections of this Discussion Group and ZCAR.COM several times a day. There have been many cars show up here in the morning and been skarffed up by afternoon. Be agile.

If all else fails, contact Ryan Elkins [nslsales@gmguy.com], who has been just superb in helping many members in locating uncommitted cars in their region. He's also sold and shipped a few vehicles from his own dealership in Utah to other states for delivery.

Good luck ladies and gentlemen. You may now search about the country! And remember... though your quest may appear to be bigger at the little, than bottom at the top, your Z is truly out there a lookin for you!

Old 10-17-2002, 08:12 AM
WayneTN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Sure shows what someone with a lot of initiative can accomplish........not that we Type B's don't have initiative. We would have figured this out by next week anyway.

Hey, didn't I see you on TV, sitting beside a swimming pool, telling everyone how to buy real estate with no money??? (just kidding!)

Thanks again. Enjoy your car!
WayneTN