Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Clearcoat respray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 05:00 PM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearcoat respray?

It's not quite a detailing question, but close enough I guess. So here it is; I just got a black Z a few weeks ago. In that time the dealer put some scratches in the CC putting Teflon sealant on it at delivery. (Didn't ask for it, didn't want them to touch it, pissed me off pretty bad) I took it back to them for clearbra last weekend and told them how bad I was pissed at the damage (really just some fairly deep scratches here and there, no real swirling) and told them I didn't want to see any more from their bra prep. When I got it back the CC is now what I would say is completely phucked. The bozo that prep'ed the car must have used a very dirty chamoise to remove some rain from the car and the hood is very scratched/swirled.

I will get it fixed by the dealer, but I'm not real happy with the idea of having it buffed already since it will thin out the coat significantly to fix this mess and reduce the life of the paint. I'm wondering if they couldn't just respray a few layers of cc on it to fix this instead, or does it not work this way?
Old 02-09-2006, 05:06 PM
pln2311

You should make the dealer repaint every single piece of your car that they damaged.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:16 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I wouldn't spray on a new coat of clear. I have a SB and was pissed for a while when someone I knew decided to detail my car to be "nice." I mean I was BENT. My car became swirl city. You can remove it if you know what your doing. I removed any old wax with a craftsman orbital, polished it 4 times with professional swirl remover (NOT Pepboys), waxed it 3 times and then sealed it. The same sealer they use at the dealership you can get at prowax.com. They helped me out a lot. Removed all swirl marks and the car looks like its permanently wet. My car is on their catalog now.

Its not worth it to get it cleared because they need to spray on a light spray of basecoat and the original paint needs to be wetsanded before its done. It would bother me that my car is so new and already has a repaint on it. Depends on the individual I guess.

Goodluck.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which prowax product would be best on minor swirl marks?

I'm thinking of just buying one of each and work my way up the aggressiveness scale.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:41 AM
cer2225

I am assuming that you are saying that some of the scratches appeared after the clearbra install.

After I had my clearbra installed on my SB, I too was upset because it looked like they scratched the hell out of it when they prepped it. The installer told me that it was marks left from the squeege that they use and it is normal. I ws like "why didn't you tell me that". He could tell i was upset and he proceeded to call 3M support and they too said it is very common and that they couldn't explain why, but if he used isopropyl alcohol to wipe it down that they would dissapear. Sure enough they did. I am not sure why, but there gone and have not returned (as of yet). Just make sure you polish the clear bra after because you will have removed any polish you might have had on it.

Not sure this is your problem, but give it a shot.

Hope it helps
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM
jonny01blaze

I have been pro detailing all of my cars for years and not to mention i used to do it as a profession. I agree with Mr. Sparco I wouldn't go respraying the car just yet. I'd talk with the dealership and demand they send it to a pro detail shop to have the damages removed. It's not an extremely hard process and by your description a skilled person on a Rotary can easily remove your defects. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:52 AM
mikead_99

Thanks for all the feedback guys. @ cer2225: Yeah, it's not just squeegie marks. I drove the car over in the rain, and of course it needed to be dried off. According to my salesman, the guy didn't wash the car, just chamoised it. There was residue all over the car from the dirty chamoise, and under the residue, in the same swirl pattern as the residue, just an ***-load of scratches in the finish. Makes sense if you use a dirty chamoise on a dirty car, you will scratch it up, that phuckin' idioit. @ the guys suggesting no re-spray, I tend to agree with you, it isn't anything that can't be fixed, I just have some concern that this will leave me a lot less cc on the car to last over it's lifetime and right now I haven't even cracked 400 miles. I guess as long as the paint warranty is intact I shouldn't sweat this though.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:10 AM
konspec

Originally Posted by jonny01blaze
I have been pro detailing all of my cars for years and not to mention i used to do it as a profession. I agree with Mr. Sparco I wouldn't go respraying the car just yet. I'd talk with the dealership and demand they send it to a pro detail shop to have the damages removed. It's not an extremely hard process and by your description a skilled person on a Rotary can easily remove your defects. Good luck.
off topic but oh well...... MR. blaze I see your a pittsburgher like me. What detail pros do you recommed in the pitts area.... my redline has some acid rain pitting in the clear.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:44 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikead_99
I'm wondering if they couldn't just respray a few layers of cc on it to fix this instead, or does it not work this way?
No. A paint shop is not going to do it. To give you a quality job, a shop will begin with bare metal.

Last edited by davidv; 02-21-2006 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 PM
rclab1

Default High Speed Polishing (by autobody shop) to reduce swirls and light scratches?

they told me that high speed polishing will remove some swirls? My concern is, removing partial of the Clear Coat, will this reduce the life of the paint?

if so, how often will I have to get the high speed polishing done to maintain the gloss mirror OEM look?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:22 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rclab1
they told me that high speed polishing will remove some swirls? My concern is, removing partial of the Clear Coat, will this reduce the life of the paint?

if so, how often will I have to get the high speed polishing done to maintain the gloss mirror OEM look?
See the replies to your other two threads...