Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Bird Crap Ate My Clearcoat

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 09:21 PM
rbaggett1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird Crap Ate My Clearcoat

I remembered a while ago someone on this forum had some bird crap on there car that messed up their clearcoat after not cleaning it off for more than a week.

So as soon as I saw a huge glob on my hood, I proceeded to wash the car when I got home from work. It was probably on the car no longer than 4 hours because I didn't notice it during my time out at lunch. But after I washed the car, I noticed the clearcoat was messed up where the crap was sitting on the hood. So I proceeded to wax the car, but still favorable results. Then I waxed the spot 2 more times; Still nothing.

Aside from having a body shop buff it out, is there anything else I can do to fix this?
Old 04-17-2004, 06:18 AM
Dissolved

If it was sitting in the hot sun, it could of sped up the process. If it ate through the clear coat, there is nothing you can do. Try a Meguiars stage 1 cleaner or paint scrub. See if that helps
Old 04-17-2004, 06:39 AM
rbaggett1

Thanks for the recommendation, Dissolved. I'll swing by Autozone later on today to pickup some of the stuff you recommended.

Funny thing is, I've had bird crap on my beater (Neon) for weeks and by the time I get to it; no marks what so ever. But yet again it's only a Neon.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:43 PM
boxsterkiller

They should clear bra the entire Z. I quickily noticed that as well as the pitted front bumper. They are probably going to say it was "enviromental".
Old 04-17-2004, 10:32 PM
rbaggett1

Dissolved,

I have one more question for you. I'm assuming that Meguiars stage 1 cleaner or paint scrub primary function is to only clean the area desired. So if my clearcoat is messed up these products would not help?

I waxed the area an additional 3 times and buffed the area with my buffer. These last couple times, I applied alot pressure onto the buffer. It's lightened the spot a little but I can see a slight outline of the area where the bird crap was.
Old 04-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Dissolved

wax is a protectant. Some have cleaners in them, but you will need something abrasive. Try the Meguiars Paint scrub or Meguiars Stage 1. Should to the trick. If not, try rubbing compound. But PM me before you use the rubbing compound.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:24 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word of advice-Dont let bird **** sit on your paint more then a day. Its like having drano splat on your car
Old 04-20-2004, 05:07 PM
HokieZ

Get the paint cleaner from Meguiars. I had the same thing happen and with about 30 seconds of buffing by hand with the paint cleaner (very, VERY mild abrasives), the outline and mark was gone.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:31 AM
rbaggett1

I went by Autozone and Pepboys and neither store carried Meguiars Paint Scrub or Meguiars Stage 1. So I decided to pickup a tube of Meguiar's Scratch X. Has anyone used this product?

I'll try it later on tonight but it says it removes the following:
- Light Scratches & Swirls
- Oxidation & Blemishes
- Bonded Contaminants

Doesn't swirl marks show up easier on darker cars? I bet this product would work great especially on a Super Black Z.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:14 PM
rbaggett1

I used the Meguiar's Scratch X and wow it turned out great. I have really tiny bits of clearcoat missing due to the bird crap. But the outline the feces left behind is no longer there. I applied Scratch X 3 times and some wax afterwards.

The only way I could really tell where it was before, is to get really close to the car. Usually less than 6 inches away from the hood in the right lighting and I can sort of tell but for the most part I'm happy again.

Thanks for you help.

JonsilvZ: I had the crap on the car no longer than 4 hours. But Texas heat and the things that birds eat can really put a hurtin' on the paint.