Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJVinny350z
+1 I'm also curious about this.

Also, 2 quick questions:

1. What is the best way to get rid of swirl marks?

2. When de-badging a car, what is the best way to get rid of whats left behind under where the emblem used to be. Thinking about debadging the "350z" emblem off my car this spring, it's been on there for 60k miles and I want to make sure I can get all the crap underneath there completely off.

Thanks.
I hope my answer to the winter prep above answered your question, if not let me know. As for removing swirl marks you'll need to polish the paint. This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. It will also remove any "ghosting" from around the debadged area. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints. If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by 122554
Question. Do you EVER recommend any products other than those that are sold by Detailed Image?

Just wondering
Yes indeed. I generally try to pick up and sell most of my favorite products, however there are only a few we don't carry like the 3M Adhesive Remover. I also have not tried anywhere near every product out there so I can only recommend what I have used and what I know, which tends to be mainly what we carry or test. One of my favorite parts of Detailed Image is we only pick up what we like instead of just picking up every product from every brand we carry. We talk to other pros and industry professionals and hand pick each item in our store so we can recommend them with confidence. I realize other good products are still out there but I likely have not tested them yet or they didn't stand out relative to other options I personally prefer. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
thanks for opening up such a thread cause it just so happens that i have really fine scratches from hitting some hoosiers. ill get pics up in a minute. But the only reason why i wanna get rid of them is because I am trading my car in tomorrow (hopefully) and i wanna know how dealers get the car to look really shiny for like a few days until you wash it. I had a friend who detailed and he said they used to use something that makes the clearcoat look great for a few days?
sorry another quick question. whats your opinion on the Meguiars NXT Tech Wax, curious to try it
Glad the thread was what you were looking for. I hope my reply is in time but if not I hope it went well. You can buff out the vast majority of those light marks with a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. If you want to just hide it try using a glaze, but some of those marks will still be very visible. Again polishing is very easy and will be much more effective.

The Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0is a solid AIO (All In One) product that cleans, polishes and protects all in one step. For local stores it's usually one of the best option available. I personally like the Optimum Poli-Seal just slightly better and it's also a better value per ounce ($15.99 for 32oz bottle).

Keep us posted on what you try and how it turns out.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
MarcusFenix

Hi Greg,

I picked up a silver 06 350Z about 6 months ago. Never been a huge "must-keep-my-car-clean" kinda guy until now. I've been taking my cars to this nice automatic car wash, until a month ago when I learned that it's not really good since they use heavy degreasers. And to top it off, I have never had a car detailed/waxed or anything like that. The previous owner of the 350Z did a great job in keeping it clean and I want to do the same.

So this past weekend I picked up a Meguiar's Headlight restoration kit to remove some of the yellow/oxidation from my headlights. I took about 2 hours of my time and sanded/polished the headlights to a beautiful shine! Looks like it's 90% brand new, except for a few micro-fractures(?). Anyway, I've been reading the Detailed Image blog and Todd Cooperider's blog and I want to start doing the claybar/polishing/waxing thing to the 350Z but I'm a little scared and I have a budget I need to stick to. I also work full time, but don't mind taking 2-3 or even 4 hours on the weekend to detail the car.

So my question to you, what's the best way (for a newbie like me) to clean/wax my car this weekend to where I end up with a decent gloss? It doesn't need to be showroom quality, but I would like to get rid of some of the swirls. My budget is kinda low. I don't really want to exceed $50-75. I already have a rotary buffer I picked up from garage sale. Just need a new pad. Should I just get a clay bar and paint restoration kit from Meguiar's/Mothers or some other products? I honestly thought about taking my car to this one local detail shop but I really want to do this myself. I feel more satisfaction doing things myself and spending twice the amount of time rather than taking it to someone who doesn't really care about my car as much as I do.

Sorry for the long ramble. I just got off work and I hope I made my self clear. Thank you for your time and the awesome site/blog you guys have. Never thought detailing a car would be such a daunting task! Nothing but respect for you guys at DI.

P.S. I've noticed 2 water spots on my trunk. Can those be removed easily?

Last edited by MarcusFenix; 11-29-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by MarcusFenix
Hi Greg,

I picked up a silver 06 350Z about 6 months ago. Never been a huge "must-keep-my-car-clean" kinda guy until now. I've been taking my cars to this nice automatic car wash, until a month ago when I learned that it's not really good since they use heavy degreasers. And to top it off, I have never had a car detailed/waxed or anything like that. The previous owner of the 350Z did a great job in keeping it clean and I want to do the same.

So this past weekend I picked up a Meguiar's Headlight restoration kit to remove some of the yellow/oxidation from my headlights. I took about 2 hours of my time and sanded/polished the headlights to a beautiful shine! Looks like it's 90% brand new, except for a few micro-fractures(?). Anyway, I've been reading the Detailed Image blog and Todd Cooperider's blog and I want to start doing the claybar/polishing/waxing thing to the 350Z but I'm a little scared and I have a budget I need to stick to. I also work full time, but don't mind taking 2-3 or even 4 hours on the weekend to detail the car.

So my question to you, what's the best way (for a newbie like me) to clean/wax my car this weekend to where I end up with a decent gloss? It doesn't need to be showroom quality, but I would like to get rid of some of the swirls. My budget is kinda low. I don't really want to exceed $50-75. I already have a rotary buffer I picked up from garage sale. Just need a new pad. Should I just get a clay bar and paint restoration kit from Meguiar's/Mothers or some other products? I honestly thought about taking my car to this one local detail shop but I really want to do this myself. I feel more satisfaction doing things myself and spending twice the amount of time rather than taking it to someone who doesn't really care about my car as much as I do.

Sorry for the long ramble. I just got off work and I hope I made my self clear. Thank you for your time and the awesome site/blog you guys have. Never thought detailing a car would be such a daunting task! Nothing but respect for you guys at DI.

P.S. I've noticed 2 water spots on my trunk. Can those be removed easily?
Glad to hear your taking care of the Z and the blog has been helpful. I'd be happy to help you get some top quality products and stick within your budget. Here are my recommendations:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit - Great washing package
DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube - deep cleans the paint
Optimum Poli-Seal - polishes and seals in one step
I would also pick up a foam applicator and 2x - 4x Microfiber Towels.

The Poli-Seal can help remove light water mark etchings. If that doesn't work try the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI

Last edited by Detailed Image; 12-05-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Glad the thread was what you were looking for. I hope my reply is in time but if not I hope it went well. You can buff out the vast majority of those light marks with a light polish like the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205. If you want to just hide it try using a glaze, but some of those marks will still be very visible. Again polishing is very easy and will be much more effective.

The Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0is a solid AIO (All In One) product that cleans, polishes and protects all in one step. For local stores it's usually one of the best option available. I personally like the Optimum Poli-Seal just slightly better and it's also a better value per ounce ($15.99 for 32oz bottle).

Keep us posted on what you try and how it turns out.

Greg @ DI
i ended up picking up some black wax last week but have not been able to use it yet with all the rain. figure ill wait till after the rain the do it and put it up for sale then. the dealer was a douche
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there any cons on using a sealant?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

i ended up picking up some black wax last week but have not been able to use it yet with all the rain. figure ill wait till after the rain the do it and put it up for sale then. the dealer was a douche
Good luck with the sale and if you have any other questions please let me know!

Greg @ DI
Old 12-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
Are there any cons on using a sealant?
The only things to be aware of is that some carnauba waxes may have a slightly deeper shine than a cheap sealant. Some cheaper sealants can look plastic like so we don't sell them. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and other premium sealants look phenomenal and are arguably better than many waxes. A good carnauba wax like the ones from Dodo Juice will offer very strong protection that initially is greater than a sealant. However a wax fades much quicker and on average lasts about 2 - 6 weeks where as sealants will last 3 - 6 months. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Houston Z33

I'm sure this has been asked before, What can I do for the black plastic parts on the side mirrors.....mine are so dull and kills an otherwise BEAUTIFUL car.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 AM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by Houston Z33
I'm sure this has been asked before, What can I do for the black plastic parts on the side mirrors.....mine are so dull and kills an otherwise BEAUTIFUL car.
I was using Black Again which at the time did the job but it was very greasy to work with.
Now I've found Adams In & Out Spray, not messy at all & is far superior! Check out the video!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-a...-dressing.aspx
Old 03-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Houston Z33

Originally Posted by sluggoZ
I was using Black Again which at the time did the job but it was very greasy to work with.
Now I've found Adams In & Out Spray, not messy at all & is far superior! Check out the video!

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-517-a...-dressing.aspx
How long does it last?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:15 AM
sluggoZ

How long does it last?
It's hard to say....depending on the weather elements....it's not messy or greasy when applying like Black Again which is a big plus.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:07 AM
morphiusrt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got some matte black wheels and want to keep them clean as possible.

1. What mixture should I use to clean them with Diablo Wheel Gel right now I have a separate bucket and pour a little in the bucket with some water but my old wheels were gloss.

2. I want to clean protect them also make it easier to clean next time. Should I wax them? I don't mind if they a little glossier as I use Tuf Shine to keep my tires nice and shiny

Related products I own:
Black Light
Hybrid V7
Jet Seal 109
Diablo Wheel Gel
Petes 53'
Fade 2 Black One of my favorites btw
Poorboys Polish with Sealant
Tech Wax
Hard Candy

Yes I think I have a problem I like too buy stuff from you too often. You just have such good specials I can't pass them up!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I would suggest TUF SHINE Black Restore Kit to restore the rubber, vinyl, plastic, etc. It's great solution that really makes the black look black again instead of just temporarily dressing the surface. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by morphiusrt
Just got some matte black wheels and want to keep them clean as possible.

1. What mixture should I use to clean them with Diablo Wheel Gel right now I have a separate bucket and pour a little in the bucket with some water but my old wheels were gloss.

2. I want to clean protect them also make it easier to clean next time. Should I wax them? I don't mind if they a little glossier as I use Tuf Shine to keep my tires nice and shiny

Related products I own:
Black Light
Hybrid V7
Jet Seal 109
Diablo Wheel Gel
Petes 53'
Fade 2 Black One of my favorites btw
Poorboys Polish with Sealant
Tech Wax
Hard Candy

Yes I think I have a problem I like too buy stuff from you too often. You just have such good specials I can't pass them up!!!
Thank you for the continued support it's greatly appreciated. You can use the Diablo as is or dilute it up to 3:1 for a better value. If the 3:1 solution is not strong enough for really tough build ups you can use a stronger concentration.

The TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit is awesome for the tires so you are all set there. For the wheels you can protect them with a quality sealant (Jetseal 109) or pick up a product like the Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant.

If you need any other recommendations don't hesitate to ask!

Greg @ DI
Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you get huge fawking *** stains out of fabric seats?

Stain seems to dissapear after using interior removal then the $hit magically reappears.

Is there any proven baby batter removal? TIA
Old 03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

It may not come out, depends on how long it's been in there. I would suggest using the 303 Fabric & Vinyl Cleaner and a good scrub brush dipped in a tray of hot water. Spray the fabric and let it sit for 1 - 2 minutes then dip the brush in the hot water and agitate the stain in multiple different directions. Do this at least 1 - 2 times and hopefully it's gone. If not my only other thought is a carpet extractor but you're doing a similar process here. Good luck!

Greg @ DI
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
tquill

I've cleaned my headlights successfully, but the haze keeps coming back. I've tried sealant (Optimum Opti-Seal) and wax (Optimum car wax) but it still comes back.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by tquill
I've cleaned my headlights successfully, but the haze keeps coming back. I've tried sealant (Optimum Opti-Seal) and wax (Optimum car wax) but it still comes back.

Any suggestions?
Are you sure the haze is on the exterior? Sometimes moisture can get on the inside. Assuming it's on the exterior I'm guessing you are just temporarily covering it up with the Opti-Seal and Car Wax. These products are just meant to protect the surface not correct it. You'll need to polish it to permanently remove the mark and I'd suggest starting with the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105. This combo does a great job removing most light haze on the surface, check out this article for more specifics http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...s-on-a-budget/. After polishing the surface should be much more optically clear and then you can protect it with a wax or sealant. If this polishing process does not work you'll need the assistance of a buffer or a light wet sanding.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll be happy to help.

Greg @ DI

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...