Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
sambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detailed - is it okay to use car wax on polish wheel lips?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by sambo
Detailed - is it okay to use car wax on polish wheel lips?
If it's a natural carnauba wax we don't usually recommend them for wheels. They have a lower melting point and don't resist the high temperature brake dust that well. Instead we recommend using a sealant on the wheels, just like you would use on the paint. They are more durable and better suited for the wheels. The Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant is a perfect example of a top quality product to protect wheels with.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by WinOPS
Your web site is great. I will be purchasing some items in the near future.
I appreciate the support. We have virtually everything in stock and ready to ship out ASAP! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:17 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Matte Black Wheels!?!

Got a couple things from DI. Great service btw.
Main item I wanted to try was the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, first sealant I am ever using.
I have brand new set of 19" Advan RS-D w/ Matte Black Finish and White PC'd edge.
Weather has been Poor to say the least and I couldn't wait on the weather to clear to take the wheels outside so I did it indoors. This stuff smells good so it wasnt an issue.
I am wanting to take some good shots in the sun as the detail of the wheel is hard to get being its black and indoor lighting doesn't do it justice.
But initial impression is that after three coats of the PB's Wheel Sealant the wheel remains matte black. Note a little goes a long way.
It appears a slightly deeper black which I am pleased with.
Easily applied with a polish applicator pad and buffs off quite easily with a microfiber towel on both the matte black and white pc'd edge.
Was easy to remove from the crevasses of the raised lettering, machined lettering and stickers as well.
Doesn't produce that white dusty particles that you can get when buffing out some products.
Once the weather clears I plan to apply the sealant to my Smart Car's silver alloy wheels that makes it easier to see the hold up to dirt and brake dust for a round of cleaning.
Will post a full review with pics shortly thereafter.
on this product and Detailed Image.

Last edited by vex008; 07-07-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a professional detailing shop detail my car. they seemed to go a little crazy with the tire shine and wheel cleaning products, they looked super drenched when I picked it up, but not seeing any damage, I took the car back and paid em. a week later, the finish on my wheels are stained all over the place. they are a matte paint finish from the factory, now they have discolored streaks and drip stains everywhere.

the shop originally was apologetic and tried different chemicals to clean it off, but couldn't do it. 3 hours later they called me back claiming I brought them in damaged but still wanted to help me out .. anyways, have you seen this happen before? do you know what combination might have caused the problem? I would like more ammo for the discussion : (
Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Entaille

here's what the damage looks like, unbelievably pissed.. not sure how they did it. some of it looks discolored, some of it looks flakey/rippled, some of it looks like drip stains, then one of them has **** all over it from chemicals he tried to use to clean off their f up ..

I am really curious what they could have possibly used or done to mess them up so terribly. arg.
Attached Thumbnails Ask a Professional Detailer...-sdc10486-large-.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-sdc10487-large-.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-sdc10488-large-.jpg   Ask a Professional Detailer...-sdc10489-large-.jpg  
Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by vex008
Got a couple things from DI. Great service btw.
Main item I wanted to try was the Poorboy's Wheel Sealant, first sealant I am ever using.
I have brand new set of 19" Advan RS-D w/ Matte Black Finish and White PC'd edge.
Weather has been Poor to say the least and I couldn't wait on the weather to clear to take the wheels outside so I did it indoors. This stuff smells good so it wasnt an issue.
I am wanting to take some good shots in the sun as the detail of the wheel is hard to get being its black and indoor lighting doesn't do it justice.
But initial impression is that after three coats of the PB's Wheel Sealant the wheel remains matte black. Note a little goes a long way.
It appears a slightly deeper black which I am pleased with.
Easily applied with a polish applicator pad and buffs off quite easily with a microfiber towel on both the matte black and white pc'd edge.
Was easy to remove from the crevasses of the raised lettering, machined lettering and stickers as well.
Doesn't produce that white dusty particles that you can get when buffing out some products.
Once the weather clears I plan to apply the sealant to my Smart Car's silver alloy wheels that makes it easier to see the hold up to dirt and brake dust for a round of cleaning.
Will post a full review with pics shortly thereafter.
on this product and Detailed Image.
Glad to hear the results have been great thus far. I'm a big fan of the wheel sealant as well! I look forward to seeing some pics. If you can post up a review in the detailing section I'm sure others would be interested in hearing about your experience as well.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Entaille
here's what the damage looks like, unbelievably pissed.. not sure how they did it. some of it looks discolored, some of it looks flakey/rippled, some of it looks like drip stains, then one of them has **** all over it from chemicals he tried to use to clean off their f up ..

I am really curious what they could have possibly used or done to mess them up so terribly. arg.
Man that sucks I'm soooo sorry to hear about this situation. I'm not 100% sure of the cause but here are some of my thoughts. A lot of painted wheels still get clear coated so you can treat them just like any other wheel. However many bare metals, aluminum wheels and other after market wheels can not be treated the same. I would have definitely used a pH neutral wheel cleaner on them like the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner or the Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner. Using a stronger wheel cleaner could have possibly harmed the wheel but again I can't be sure of this. Another possibility is that the tire dressing on their was a heavy silicone based one. This may have gotten on the wheels from the application or as you drove away it may have gotten on the wheels. If it was from driving you probably would have seen it on the paint as well. Another possibility is it could be water marks from having the vehicle be washed in the sun and the mineral deposits just etched in to the wheel. Watermarks can seriously hurt the wheel just like the paint. These are just possible reasons why it happened and I really can't say for sure.

The only thing I can think of trying on them is using a metal polish and I'm not 100% sure this will be safe. I've occassionally seen bare metal wheels that don't stand up to a metal polish, which is a sign of low quality work. I would spot treat a small area with a metal polish like the Optimum (OPT) Metal Polish and the P21S Finish Restorer. The Finish Restorer is probably the deepest cleaning product so that would be my pick for this situation. This could possibly buff out those stains but I'm not overly confident.

Sorry my advice was not concrete but it's one of those situations where I would probably just try a few different things. Let me know if you have any questions or if you make any progress on the wheels.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:54 AM
vex008

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Glad to hear the results have been great thus far. I'm a big fan of the wheel sealant as well! I look forward to seeing some pics. If you can post up a review in the detailing section I'm sure others would be interested in hearing about your experience as well.
Plan to get some shots today as the sun has finally decided to make an appearance.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Entaille

they did mention their tire dresser was silicone based but they were explaining how that couldn't possibly damage the finish. I'm not educated enough to argue their points, I just know they damaged them. thank you for the insight and product/methods for attempted clean ups.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
AznSky

Washed, Polished, and waxed the Z this past weekend all by hand for 6 hrs.....

Need to look into a porter cable, Any good DIY's on how to use one and not screw up the paint?

Oh and how to get rid of all the swirl marks.......hate them!

Last edited by AznSky; 07-08-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by AznSky
Washed, Polished, and waxed the Z this past weekend all by hand for 6 hrs.....

Need to look into a porter cable, Any good DIY's on how to use one and not screw up the paint?

Oh and how to get rid of all the swirl marks.......hate them!
Detailing by hand can be tiring. Polishes are what you need to use to remove those swirls permanently and not just hide them temporarily. Polishes also need to be applied by a buffer for best results so it sounds like great timing to get both at once. We have several package deals that should be perfect for your needs.

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit - best value

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424 XP, Meguiar's Polish and Hydro Pads - my recommendation

The M105 is used withe cyan pad and you follow that up with the M205 and the tangerine pad. This combo will remove swirls, oxidation, etc. so the Z looks better than new. After you are done you can apply a sealant or wax to protect the paint. I generally recommend a sealant because they are far more durable than a natural carnauba wax. Sealants are liquid as well so they can be applied with a buffer (blue pad) if desired or by hand. If interested the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is a great choice. It's super durable, looks outstanding and is easy to apply and remove.

For details about how to use the Porter Cable for each step check out our detailing guide. It has tons of information with step by step instructions. If you have any questions after reading that please let me know.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM
J. Dub

Thanks for bein here for us DI. Great customer service. I know many whom have used your advise, aside from myself.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 PM
vex008

Link to my review of sealant applied to matte black wheels w/ pics:

https://my350z.com/forum/repairing-a...ml#post8510601
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Entaille

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Man that sucks I'm soooo sorry to hear about this situation. I'm not 100% sure of the cause but here are some of my thoughts. A lot of painted wheels still get clear coated so you can treat them just like any other wheel. However many bare metals, aluminum wheels and other after market wheels can not be treated the same. I would have definitely used a pH neutral wheel cleaner on them like the P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner or the Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner. Using a stronger wheel cleaner could have possibly harmed the wheel but again I can't be sure of this. Another possibility is that the tire dressing on their was a heavy silicone based one. This may have gotten on the wheels from the application or as you drove away it may have gotten on the wheels. If it was from driving you probably would have seen it on the paint as well. Another possibility is it could be water marks from having the vehicle be washed in the sun and the mineral deposits just etched in to the wheel. Watermarks can seriously hurt the wheel just like the paint. These are just possible reasons why it happened and I really can't say for sure.

The only thing I can think of trying on them is using a metal polish and I'm not 100% sure this will be safe. I've occassionally seen bare metal wheels that don't stand up to a metal polish, which is a sign of low quality work. I would spot treat a small area with a metal polish like the Optimum (OPT) Metal Polish and the P21S Finish Restorer. The Finish Restorer is probably the deepest cleaning product so that would be my pick for this situation. This could possibly buff out those stains but I'm not overly confident.

Sorry my advice was not concrete but it's one of those situations where I would probably just try a few different things. Let me know if you have any questions or if you make any progress on the wheels.

if a heavy silicone based tire dressing was used and it got on the wheels and left uncleaned for a week, could it do damage? he was explaining how his tire dressing cannot damage wheels *because* it is a heavy silicone based product, 'just rolls right off' heh. the wheels are a matte finish if it makes a difference

thanks again for your input.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by J. Dub
Thanks for bein here for us DI. Great customer service. I know many whom have used your advise, aside from myself.
Thank you for the feedback I appreciate it! I'm happy to help the forum when I can!
Old 07-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Entaille
if a heavy silicone based tire dressing was used and it got on the wheels and left uncleaned for a week, could it do damage? he was explaining how his tire dressing cannot damage wheels *because* it is a heavy silicone based product, 'just rolls right off' heh. the wheels are a matte finish if it makes a difference

thanks again for your input.
I'm certainly no chemist but I know there are varying silicones and obviously other ingredients used in those formulas. Some mixtures can be harmful, especially on fresh paint or under extreme heat on the paint. Therefore it's still possible but I certainly couldn't say it is from that. There are some dressings that have silicone in them but are much safer and better for the tires and other parts of the vehicle. I'm not sure how easy it is to prove without testing it on the wheels again. Maybe find out the brand info and contact that mfg?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
zaperroni

where in ny are you? do you do detailing or just sell the products?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by zaperroni
where in ny are you? do you do detailing or just sell the products?
We no longer offer any detailing services. We are located just outside Albany, NY but it's a warehouse only.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:25 PM
JMT

Originally Posted by AznSky
http://guidetodetailing.com/detailin...tion-polisher/

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...