Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can i simply wash the car with soap and water to remove the dirt, wax and polish? or just skip waxing?

After polishing, light scratches should be disappeared, right? Will they reappear when the car becomes dirty again?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zRiot
Can i simply wash the car with soap and water to remove the dirt, wax and polish? or just skip waxing?

After polishing, light scratches should be disappeared, right? Will they reappear when the car becomes dirty again?
Washing the vehicle will help remove the majority of the loose contaminants on the surface. However many contaminants are tightly bonded to the clear coat or stuck in the micro-ridges of the clear coat. For these particles a Clay Bar would be a huge help. To permanently remove the swirls, oxidation and ultra fine scratches a polish would be used next. Ideally a polish is applied with a buffer for the extra pressure and # of passes. It helps work in the polish more thoroughly and there are several very safe and easy buffers available if interested. You can polish by hand as well if that is your preference. The Meguiar's M205 is a good one step product. Not all polishes will permanently remove the surface imperfections so make sure you select the right ones for you. If you are using a buffer I highly recommend a two step process with the Meguiar's M105 first and then the M205. It will make the clear coat look significantly better. By removing swirls, oxidation, etc. the clear coat is more optically clear and light can pass through it more directly. If you are interested in a buffer check out these kits:

DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Menzerna Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit
DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit

Those are just two of the many options we have available to you. After that you can apply a sealant and/or a wax for protection and to enhance the shine. Sealants are the more durable option so if you are only going to pick one this is definitely the pick. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is a top choice and the Chemical Guys M-Seal is a great value if cost is an issue. If you prefer a wax try either the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax or Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax. The Blue is for darker colors and the Red is great on light and warm colors.

Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 PM
lovemyVQ

Hey I just had a question regarding light, fine dust that accumulates on my car in the garage. I just spent 9 hours washing, clay barring, polishing and waxing only to find in the morning that a fine layer of dust was there. It's barely noticeable but it takes away from the overall look of the finish. Would it be ok to use a swiffer duster to lift the dust away? What method would you recommend? I'm trying to avoid having to wash the whole car since the dust is just on the surface. Any info would be much appreciated.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by lovemyVQ
Hey I just had a question regarding light, fine dust that accumulates on my car in the garage. I just spent 9 hours washing, clay barring, polishing and waxing only to find in the morning that a fine layer of dust was there. It's barely noticeable but it takes away from the overall look of the finish. Would it be ok to use a swiffer duster to lift the dust away? What method would you recommend? I'm trying to avoid having to wash the whole car since the dust is just on the surface. Any info would be much appreciated.
Don't use a swifter it's too thin and not as soft as quality microfiber. This makes it too likely to grind the particles back in the surface creating micro-marring. A safer method is to use 1x - 3x thicker microfiber towels (i.e. DI Microfiber Ultra Plush Two Sided Towel) and a good quick detailer (Optimum (OPT) Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer). Simply mist it on the paint or towel and wipe with very light pressure. This towel is more likely to safely pick up the particles and leave no residue behind. Even just a dry microfiber towel would be far safer. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:15 AM
lovemyVQ

I'm sorry I should have been more specific with my description of the swiffer duster. It's not the pad which is thin and used for floors and such. It's the duster version which is similar to a feather duster and is a lot softer then the pad version. I figured it would be a safe option since it's designed to pick up dust and doesn't run along the service like a towel would. I do have a good quality microfiber towel however, I'll give that a try!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by lovemyVQ
I'm sorry I should have been more specific with my description of the swiffer duster. It's not the pad which is thin and used for floors and such. It's the duster version which is similar to a feather duster and is a lot softer then the pad version. I figured it would be a safe option since it's designed to pick up dust and doesn't run along the service like a towel would. I do have a good quality microfiber towel however, I'll give that a try!
Thanks for the clarification. I'm inclined to believe the microfiber is still much softer and therefore safer. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:40 PM
lovemyVQ

Thanks for the advice, very helpful thread!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Kuhan

Hello,

Hope you can help me out.

I used detailing spray with clay bar, but forgot to wipe down the excess detailing spray. Would the detailing spray damage the car paint if not wipe off and dry out on the paint?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Hello,

Hope you can help me out.

I used detailing spray with clay bar, but forgot to wipe down the excess detailing spray. Would the detailing spray damage the car paint if not wipe off and dry out on the paint?

Thanks.
It would depend on the specific product. If it's a traditional quick detailer / clay lube it may leave some residue on the surface but it's nothing you can take off with a wash or worst case a light polish. If you were exposed to very warm temps or heat it may need a polish. However start with the wash and possibly a little degreaser then move on to a polish only if need be.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:32 AM
BEBO'S ZEE

Full Exterior - Pre-Wash Treatment, Wash, Dry, Clay Bar, Compound Polish, Cutting Polish, Finishing Polish, Glaze, Sealant, Wax, Clean and Dress Tires, Clean and Dress Trim

So I had my car clay bard a while back and I'm just looking to keep it clean and well maintained. I don't want to use anything that requires a buffer(trying to do it all by hand) so would the proper way be
Wash/dry
Quick detailer
Sealant
Wax
Or is there an all in one type thing that would give me the same results? What would you recommend?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Sorry if I missed part of this. It sounds like you already had a full exterior detail done on the car and you are looking for a maintenance routine. This can be as simple or as detailed as you would like. For a simple routine you can just wash, dry and then apply the sealant or wax of your choice it's really up to you. If you are re-applying this frequently (like every two weeks or so) then a wax is a great choice. If you want to apply it less frequently I would suggest a sealant for the extra durability. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger would be a great choice for this step as it's very durable, looks amazing and protects for months. If you prefer a wax the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax (for dark colored paint) or Poorboy's World Natty's Red Paste Wax (for light and warm colors). If you are willing to spend a bit more the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax is awesome on all colors. If you really want more protection and shine you can use both a sealant and a wax, just apply the sealant first.

As for the quick detailer that is not needed at all in this process. If you have any questions please let me know.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
MikeBit

Hey Greg, a quicky for you:

I have an 03 Super Black that is in bad shape, light and medium scratches and then I've got swirls all over the place. I have 3 polishes:

1. Menzerna Power Gloss for cutting
2. Menzerna Power Finish
3. Menzerna Super Finish

I have 3 pads, of course: one orange pad, one green pad, and one blue pad. Orange reads "medium polish", blue reads "final polish" and green reads "polish." Now, I believe I need to use the Power Gloss with the orange pad (no need for yellow, it isn't THAT bad). But question is, which other polish should I use, with which pad, or can I use all 3 polishes for more coats? I have a Porter Cable 7424 like you recommend

I ordered Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant from your website yesterday, and also you've already shipped out my Poorboy's Natty Blue Paste wax. I made two orders because I changed my mind and decided to get the sealant. Which leads to my last question..... I know sealant acts like wax (I think), so should I use the Menzerna sealant and call it a day, or add the Natty's wax on top of it?? This will be my first detail on my own, and I have to say I'm rather excited. I just feel a little uneasy about the Power Gloss cutting compound, I don't want to run over areas I've already gone over with it as I progress you know? And I'm afraid using masking tape will prevent me from getting every spot I need to get to.

I don't have a white pad.... am I in need of one?
Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 PM
MikeBit

Some new questions..... I just went through your detailing guide Greg, got a ton of good stuff off it. I ran into a few things I should address: #1 I don't have many pads. One of each (I do have a black pad for finishing). I'm not sure how I'm supposed to clean them properly, your guide mentions a toothbrush. Another thing I'm concerned about is whether the pad/polish combination's I can use is going to be effective. I know that I'll be using the orange cutting pad with the Power Gloss, but as for the others, what do you think I should do? Also, is it ok to use the black pad I have to finish polishing/sealing/waxing? That's three different products on one pad... I'm not too excited about that. By the way, your guide answered some of the questions I addressed earlier, such as whether I can use both sealant and wax. I know I can, just need to wait a day before applying the wax

I have so many things on my mind, I want to get this right!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:21 PM
6swhite350z

the interior of my Z is dusty... what i mean is, if i sit or tap the seats, dust flies everywhere... how can i clean them up? color wise, there are no stains or anything.. just a lot of dust embedded into it
Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by MikeBit
Hey Greg, a quicky for you:

I have an 03 Super Black that is in bad shape, light and medium scratches and then I've got swirls all over the place. I have 3 polishes:

1. Menzerna Power Gloss for cutting
2. Menzerna Power Finish
3. Menzerna Super Finish

I have 3 pads, of course: one orange pad, one green pad, and one blue pad. Orange reads "medium polish", blue reads "final polish" and green reads "polish." Now, I believe I need to use the Power Gloss with the orange pad (no need for yellow, it isn't THAT bad). But question is, which other polish should I use, with which pad, or can I use all 3 polishes for more coats? I have a Porter Cable 7424 like you recommend

I ordered Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant from your website yesterday, and also you've already shipped out my Poorboy's Natty Blue Paste wax. I made two orders because I changed my mind and decided to get the sealant. Which leads to my last question..... I know sealant acts like wax (I think), so should I use the Menzerna sealant and call it a day, or add the Natty's wax on top of it?? This will be my first detail on my own, and I have to say I'm rather excited. I just feel a little uneasy about the Power Gloss cutting compound, I don't want to run over areas I've already gone over with it as I progress you know? And I'm afraid using masking tape will prevent me from getting every spot I need to get to.

I don't have a white pad.... am I in need of one?
Originally Posted by MikeBit
Some new questions..... I just went through your detailing guide Greg, got a ton of good stuff off it. I ran into a few things I should address: #1 I don't have many pads. One of each (I do have a black pad for finishing). I'm not sure how I'm supposed to clean them properly, your guide mentions a toothbrush. Another thing I'm concerned about is whether the pad/polish combination's I can use is going to be effective. I know that I'll be using the orange cutting pad with the Power Gloss, but as for the others, what do you think I should do? Also, is it ok to use the black pad I have to finish polishing/sealing/waxing? That's three different products on one pad... I'm not too excited about that. By the way, your guide answered some of the questions I addressed earlier, such as whether I can use both sealant and wax. I know I can, just need to wait a day before applying the wax

I have so many things on my mind, I want to get this right!
Mike,

For the Menzerna Power Gloss I would suggest the purple foamed wool pad but the orange pad could also be used. For the Power Finish you can use the green pad the blue pad will work with the Super Finish as well. A black or blue pad is fine to apply a sealant or liquid wax with assuming you have an orbital buffer. You should always use one product per pad, never cross contaminate a pad. I would then apply the Power Sealant with the Natty's Blue on top of it (by hand). Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Guys I'm going to be on a short vacation through Sunday. If you need help right away feel free to go through our Contact Us form or e-mail me and they will be forwarded to my business partner George. If you post a message or leave me a PM I'll try to get to it as soon as I can on Sunday. Take care!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm waiting on part 2 of the orange peel write-up...brand new G37 with orange peel like a mother on the rear quarter panel ftl.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 AM
tquill

I'll definitely buy my next set of products from your store.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 AM
SILENT HAV0C

I see you're located in NY, I'm in NJ, do you have a shop that I could bring my car to?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:52 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

silent havoc
see previous page
post 118 & 119
hope that helps

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...