Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Ask a Professional Detailer...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
sharon11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah we know this forum is related to cleaning...Replacing carpets after accidents, spills and hard to remove dirt can be very expensive.i am looking for a professional cleaner..please suggest me...

duct cleaning in maryland
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM
sharon11

yeah we know this forum is related to cleaning...Replacing carpets after accidents, spills and hard to remove dirt can be very expensive.i am looking for a professional cleaner..please suggest me...

duct cleaning in maryland
Old 11-16-2010, 05:16 PM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Just wanted to remind everyone this is a great thread to ask any detailing questions. If you have any questions related to cleaning, shining and protecting your vehicle we can help point you in the right direction. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'll do my best to help!
Yes - but can you also remind all of my loved ones that I neeeeeeeed DI gift certificates for Christmas so I can switch from a detailing system that I'm not 100% happy with to one that you carry? This should be a service you offer. ;-)
Old 11-17-2010, 10:51 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Scrodes
Yes - but can you also remind all of my loved ones that I neeeeeeeed DI gift certificates for Christmas so I can switch from a detailing system that I'm not 100% happy with to one that you carry? This should be a service you offer. ;-)
You can e-mail people a wish list from Detailed Image very simply, check out the instructions here - http://www.detailedimage.com/blog/si...e-a-wish-list/. In short put a DI Gift Certificate in your cart or whatever items you'd like, click save cart and you can e-mail them the link that has your saved shopping cart.

One of my business partners also made this website when he was bored one day. It's a really simple way to e-mail someone and tell them what you are looking for. http://www.my-wish-list.com/

I hope this helps and thank you in advance for supporting Detailed Image!

Greg @ DI
Old 11-20-2010, 02:26 PM
slappy1986

Hi Greg, I hv a 05 redline 350z, I got a lot swirls,and scratches, Im going to get a PC 7424 to polish my, I did send u a pm list, but im not sure is right thing to get for my red car and I live in ON,Canada.and that list was posted by "superblack350z...or sth" long time ago,so if it not look right, plz let me know then
Old 11-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by slappy1986
Hi Greg, I hv a 05 redline 350z, I got a lot swirls,and scratches, Im going to get a PC 7424 to polish my, I did send u a pm list, but im not sure is right thing to get for my red car and I live in ON,Canada.and that list was posted by "superblack350z...or sth" long time ago,so if it not look right, plz let me know then
If you look around the ask a pro blog on the DI website, there's actually someone with the exact car, same colour, same question. The two Meguiars polishes were recommended. (M105 and M205 if I remember offhand correctly) then choose a glaze (if you want to use one) and whichever wax you prefer.

It has been my experience (2008 Nogaro Red here) that the correct choice of polish and random orbital are far more important than glaze or wax, but like I said - search the blogs, the question is there somewhere.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:07 PM
slappy1986

Originally Posted by Scrodes
If you look around the ask a pro blog on the DI website, there's actually someone with the exact car, same colour, same question. The two Meguiars polishes were recommended. (M105 and M205 if I remember offhand correctly) then choose a glaze (if you want to use one) and whichever wax you prefer.

It has been my experience (2008 Nogaro Red here) that the correct choice of polish and random orbital are far more important than glaze or wax, but like I said - search the blogs, the question is there somewhere.
oh I live in Hamilton too, where u live?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I would suggest the Meguiar's Ultra-Cut Compound M105 and an orange pad followed by the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 and a white pad. It's an outstanding combo that should make the paint look like new again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM
03aeroZ

What PC kit would you recommend for a person with two new cars with no scratches? Basic + additional pads? If so, what pads? Also, how long will jetseal hold up?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by 03aeroZ
What PC kit would you recommend for a person with two new cars with no scratches? Basic + additional pads? If so, what pads? Also, how long will jetseal hold up?
If you want to keep it really simple the DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 4" Basic Kit is the most affordable option. You can then just add more individual pads as need be. I'd personally recommend the DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP 5.5" Starter Kit. You can select any combination of pads you would like by adding a comment in the comment field while checking out.

If you want to keep it simple you can just do a coat of sealant as you suggested with the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109 with a blue pad.

I would still suggest at least 1 - 2 times per year doing a full detail with a clay bar and at least a light polish. Even brand new vehicles come with plenty of stubborn contaminants that won't come off with a wash. Also remember the vehicle is new to you but it's likely been manufactured several months ago. The DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube will help you safely and quickly deep clean the paint before sealing the paint. After using the clay bar a light polish is a huge help to get the maximum shine. Every vehicle (even brand new ones) have swirls, oxidation, etc. Also remember polishes are the key to creating the most vibrant shine possible. I'd suggest a white pad and either the Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205 or the Menzerna PO106FA Nano Polish (Super Finish). Both polishes will help make a brilliant shine that you can later enhance with your sealant of choice.

Another big tip I have is to use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on your carpets and mats. Just mist it on and it protects the fabrics so they stay like new and repel stains and moisture.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 03-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Just a reminder this is a great thread to ask questions on about anything related to auto detailing!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Ny_04Z

I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't want to look through 40+ pages!

Anyways I have a Silver Alloy 350z.. Looking to get the best shine for the car.. What do you recommend?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 PM
JoBAGZ

Have a 03 Z. I bought new rims and tires. Before I had a chance to roll my fenders the rubber has already rub on outside of the fender. Looks like a black charcoal outline on the rim. It's really smooth and won't come over via wash or scrub. Would it be better to try to use claybar or just get it buffed/polished out?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by Ny_04Z
I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't want to look through 40+ pages!

Anyways I have a Silver Alloy 350z.. Looking to get the best shine for the car.. What do you recommend?
If you really want the best shine possible you'll need to do a full detail. I generally recommend a full detail 1 - 2 times per year and in between just a maintenance cleaning. Here is a great routine to restore your paint.

Wash/Dry - most swirls come from this process so quality products and techniques are critical. Check out our detailing guide for this step and other steps to maximize your efforts. Here are two awesome kits if interested.
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

Clay Bar - This step deep cleans the paint so it's free from stubborn build ups not removed by the washing process. This may seem complicated or different but it's pretty simple and basic. In short spray some clay lube on the paint and glide the bar side to side and picks up micro contaminants in the paint. Here is an excellent value on a clay bar and lube - DI Packages DI Gentle Fine Grade Clay Bar 100g & Clay Lube.

Polish - This is the step where you really restore the paint to like new again. You can permanently remove swirls, oxidation, etc. not just temporarily hide them. I highly recommend you consider getting a Porter Cable (PC) as they are so easy to use, vastly improve your results while saving you time and energy. We have some affordable kits that give you the PC, backing plate, pads and polishes you would need here DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Starter Kit or DI Packages PC 7424XP with M105, M205 and 5.5" pads. Both kits give you the M105 and M205 polishes with the PC that are going to help you really restore the paint to like new. Best of all the PC is easy to use and completely safe even for a first time user. Again check out our detailing guide for step by step instructions and other helpful hints.

If you prefer to do a hand application I generally just recommend a one step process with a foam applicator and Meguiar's Ultra Finishing Polish M205.

After polishing protect and enhance the shine with a sealant or wax. Waxes last about 2 - 6 weeks so we generally recommend a sealant which lasts 3 - 6 months. The Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger is my favorite sealant. It provides a remarkable shine with durable protection while easy to apply. You can apply it by hand or use a blue pad and your buffer. If you really want to you can apply a wax on top of the sealant for added protection and shine. The Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue Wax is a great option for a quality liquid wax that works on all colors. If you want a bit more gloss from a paste wax try the Chemical Guys 50/50 Limited Series Concourse Paste Wax or any of the Dodo Juice waxes. These options are applied by hand only but the exceptional gloss makes it well worth it.

I hand remove all of the excess product with a clean DI Microfiber All Purpose Towel. These towels are paint safe and help quickly remove the left over clay lube, polish, sealant, etc. I'd suggest getting about 5x - 10x of them.

Now step back and admire how awesome your vehicle looks. If this process is far too involved just let me know and I can tailor a recommendation to your needs. Just let me know what your specific goals are and I'll get to work for you. If you have any other questions please let me know!

Take care!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by JoBAGZ
Have a 03 Z. I bought new rims and tires. Before I had a chance to roll my fenders the rubber has already rub on outside of the fender. Looks like a black charcoal outline on the rim. It's really smooth and won't come over via wash or scrub. Would it be better to try to use claybar or just get it buffed/polished out?

I would start off with a clay bar and then move up to a polish as need be. One of those two should take care of it. Good luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:40 PM
tayb350z

To sum it up, I have some VHT Nite Shades overspray on my fender from tinting my tail lights. I have attempted a clay bar (Meguiars Smooth Surface, which is a fine grade I believe) and a turtle wax rubbing compound. I removed the "orange peel" texture, but the overspray is still visible in the sunlight. I have considered trying a PC, or should I try a high grade clay bar first? and if PC is the right choice, what products should I use? Thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
krazy k

I just removed some carbon fiber pillars- (the stick on ones) and It left some adhesive residue. What would you recommend to remove it?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by tayb350z
To sum it up, I have some VHT Nite Shades overspray on my fender from tinting my tail lights. I have attempted a clay bar (Meguiars Smooth Surface, which is a fine grade I believe) and a turtle wax rubbing compound. I removed the "orange peel" texture, but the overspray is still visible in the sunlight. I have considered trying a PC, or should I try a high grade clay bar first? and if PC is the right choice, what products should I use? Thanks
I'd move up to a medium grade clay bar and then a more aggressive polish. If that doesn't work try an adhesive remove like the one from 3M or try mineral spirits.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

Originally Posted by tayb350z
Originally Posted by krazy k
I just removed some carbon fiber pillars- (the stick on ones) and It left some adhesive residue. What would you recommend to remove it?
Almost the same as above. If it's a light residue start off with a DI Accessories Gentle Fine Grade Clay and move up to a DI Accessories Medium Grade Clay Bar if need be. If that doesn't work or if it's a heavy build up try the 3M adhesive remover or mineral spirits. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
SponGer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DI, how would you recommend cleaning a clear bra? It's yellowing just a little. Can I use the PC on it?

Quick Reply: Ask a Professional Detailer...