Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

More Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 01:29 PM
aham23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clay Bar, Z2, Z5, Z6, & Z7. Their tire gel, I think Z16 , is good stuff too. It doesnt give the real wet look so I would skip it if that is what you want on the tires. Also, get some 100% USA cotton towels or quality microfiber towels for drying, applying, and buffing. Later.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:05 PM
mcduck

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Assorted thoughts...

Dammit Duck! Every time I see a pic of your Z it makes me want to go out and wash mine! You have one AWESOME looking Brick my friend.
BONZ: Thank you! That's high praise coming from you.

Just think how good it would look if you used CrystalGuard!!!

Duck, did you do some wet sanding on that finish? It looks awesome!
bixby: Thanks... all I can say is you get what you pay for. I had an awesome paint and body man do my body kit work. The finish on the kit is absolutely unbelievable. Just imagine if the factory finish looked that good! ... hey... that gives me an idea for my next "show car" upgrade... hehehe...

I use "Wet & Black" on the tires & the OEM Bra. Not sure what Doc or Duck use.
I scrub the tires by hand then use Black Magic Wet (not the Foam).

Bonz, PLEASE stop telling mcduck things like that about his car. I don't have many Z people around here to hang-out with and he already has "Brick" on the the brain.
All: Pay no mind to Morris. He has Brick-envy because he drives one of those "it looks good, but not as good as Brickyard" Lemans Sunset Zs.

I know the website, and I have been there, I am wondering is all I need is that kit or is there more that I need???
Conceyted: I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but if you're buying a brand new Z you probably don't need to Clay Bar it. Unless your dealership just abused it and it has let it sit on the lot for weeks on end, there should be hardly any grit or particulant matter on the finish. It's up to you, but the gain you will get out claybarring a new car is very minimal. Now if you were buying it used with some mileage on it, that's a different story...

Last edited by mcduck; 08-28-2003 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Morris

mcduck and bonz,

okay, I will admit it in public (just once). those brick's are nice!!
Old 08-29-2003, 03:46 PM
bhobson333

Default Re: Assorted thoughts...

Originally posted by mcduck Conceyted: I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but if you're buying a brand new Z you probably don't need to Clay Bar it.
No, you won't get flamed, I'll just tell you that you are wrong.

I arrived at the dealership within an hour of the car coming off the truck. The dealer did not wash it, I helped peel the protective plastic off the finish & I stayed with the car until I drove it home from Sanford.

The next day I washed with Dawn & then claybarred. The claybar got noticably dirty and the finish got noticably smoother. Claying is not a difficult process, and the results are well worth the minimal effort & expense.

I'll attach a pic of Dr. Bonz's claybar after doing his brand-new Brick. Bonz said "For anyone who thought that claying a brand new car was overkill, take a look at this pic after I used the clay!":
Attached Thumbnails More Zaino-bonz_clay.jpg  
Old 08-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Scafremon

I clayed my Z the day after I got it, and honestly, it didn't do anything. A few months ago I found how useful the clay really is, when my car got covered in paint overspray. I could hear and feel the clay removing the paint speckles.

I clayed my car a third time last weekend, as a prelude to starting the Zaino process. This should be my last claying for a year or more.

As for the picture our Doc took, well, I can say that after 3 clayings my clay bar does not look as dirty as Docs. It looks almost brand new. I think the good Doc happened to rub his clay on a part of the car that was not cleaned very well (such as low on a bumper, or below a door) in order to get the clay that dirty.

Still, I recommend claying before starting a polymer process like Zaino, or when your car's finish is obviously contaminated with particles that regular washing can't remove.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:32 PM
bhobson333

Originally posted by Scafremon
I clayed my Z the day after I got it, and honestly, it didn't do anything. As for the picture our Doc took, well, I can say that after 3 clayings my clay bar does not look as dirty as Docs. It looks almost brand new.
It's amazing how experiences can be so different. Although I can't see how, it almost seems like you must be doing something wrong with the claybar. I bet that if Bonz reads this & posts he will tell you , as will I, that the car was quite clean when clayed and the claybar did make an obvious difference and did pick up obvious contaminants.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:48 PM
mcduck

It's amazing how experiences can be so different. Although I can't see how, it almost seems like you must be doing something wrong with the claybar. I bet that if Bonz reads this & posts he will tell you , as will I, that the car was quite clean when clayed and the claybar did make an obvious difference and did pick up obvious contaminants.
Maybe where you and Bonz live is just dirtier than the rest of the country!

Seriously, tho... before Zainoing the first time, I started to Ccay my Z... after much research reading Zaino's instructions, Dr. B's Zaino experiment thread, and other sources. I did one half of my roof and it made no noticeable difference over the other half.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

When did you guys take delivery? Maybe the ship mine came over on was really dirty? Maybe the truck mine rode from Newport News to Pittsburgh drove through a lot of muddy puddles? Scaf, I did use the clay on the lower parts of the car (rocker panels) at the end but it's not like I didn't wash the car first. Also, you live in Southern California, I live in PA. Have you ever even SEEN snow or road salt?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah, I just applied layer number 46 tonight. It'll come off Sunday AM and then number 47 will go on.

The GOLDEN LAYER (50) Zaino club is now in reach!