Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

recommendations on quick wash/detailing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
bhk1004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations on quick wash/detailing

hey guys,

never been much of a detail/clean freak with my car, always stuck with silver so i can go as long as posible without washing the car xD but with the recent purchase of a black car, am hoping to make it shine as much as possible. black.... so pretty when clean.... soo fugging ugly when dirty.....

I dont really want to order online as I am lazy... and i rather just go out and buy the stuff when i tihnk about it. ive heard good reviews over the years about zaino but i dont know where i could actually find this stuff in stores. i hear you can pick up liquid glass in some stores so im kind of leaning over this way? im thinking something of the zaino/liquid glass types would be better than just using normal wax..?

ok so what i need....

first: something to clean the car with, ive always just used random generic stuff to soap wash the car so i guess i should ask you guys what to use.

second: i guess i have to clay bar the car? i have some lying around from a old like kit thingy so i guess ill use that

third: some sort of good wheel/tire cleaner? possibly maybe one that will do both? xD

last: some sort of non wax polymer based stuff that will last a long time and i guess layer up and protect the paint!!!

i mean i know alot of people do MANY steps... and like seal and all that wierd stuff but i tink for the normal joe schmo this should be enough? anyways THANK YOU for any recommendations and help ^^
Old 11-19-2010, 08:15 PM
hellsoldiers08

i would get a new clay bar.... just my 2cents.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Zian

From one black car owner to another--here are some basics.

First-and I can't stress this enough, you need to be CAREFUL when washing it, and CAREFUL about what you use. Black looks AMAZING when done right but anything, ANYTHING can swirl the paint. I suggest you read up on the detail forums. Guys here know a lot. I also like autopia.org and there are a few others. You don't need to go pick up a random orbital buffer right now or anything (though I love mine) but here are some basics.

1. Wash using the two bucket method. One bucket for soap, and another for rinsing your wash mit, sponge or whatever device you are using. I like to work one panel of the vehicle at a time, making sure the entire vehicle is wet. Rinse, soap, rinse, wash off the mitt. Work top to bottom, and try NOT to transfer any dirt or debris on to the paint.

2. Clay bar (please get a new one...) then if you really want it to SHINE-- polish.

3. Always have a good coat of wax on the vehicle. This will help protect it.

For the rims, soap should be fine, but use a different set of towels than you would use on paint. You can scrub tires if you are into that. Most of those two-in-one things have harsh abrasive chemicals that aren't good on paint and certainly aren't good on clear coated wheels, etc. Unnecessary IMO.

Since you just want to go to the store and buy stuff both Mothers and Meguiars make decent off-the-shelf products. Note that you don't always have to clay and polish, just every so often/as needed.

You mentioned Zaino--its great, but time and step intensive to do right. For your goals I'm not sure its necessary. Your call.

A final suggestion would be to buy some quality wash materials. I have had great success ordering from DetailedImage. They are nice, fast and active here on the forums. You can occasionally get a discount. I'm a big fan of the waffleweave big blue drying towels. Way better than a squeegee, no oils, and extremely effective. I am in no way affiliated with the site--but the sponges and things that I have used from there have all been perfectly safe on my paint.

For longer, better detailed explanations:
https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-an...ing-posts.html

Also, SuperBlack had a post somewhere that had GREAT pictures and descriptions of how to properly wash and detail a black Z. Do some digging and see if you can find it. GREAT thread....he did things like pulling the rims and cleaning the barrels, undercarriage, light housings...really motivates you to take care of the vehicle.

If there is one takeaway it is to use caution. I have had brand new microfiber towels swirl paint (seriously.) NEVER use a towel or something that you have dropped on the ground, and wash your materials before the next time they touch the car. I ALWAYS ask the dealership to skip the "complimentary wash" if I am in for any reason, and when they forget and wash it I get to deal with freshly installed idiot-swirls. NO drive through car washes. NOBODY else washes it but you. That's how you keep black nice.

Yeah it takes some extra work and caution--but it is so, so worth it.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:58 AM
bhk1004

thank you for the help, will definitely keep everything in mind, and went through the other thread as well.

http://store.carcareonline.com/index.aspx

this retailer is actually about 10-15 minutes from me, and seems to specialize in car detail products. wondering if anyone knows any of their products and if they recommend anything. gonna head on other there with the wifey, wanna get the new s5 all sparkley before it becomes so cold i dont want to leave the house.

contemplating between these 2 starter kits...
http://store.carcareonline.com/p21sc...ryliccase.aspx
http://store.carcareonline.com/p21sd...ryliccase.aspx

not sure if i really need the wheel cleaner xD also from what ive read it seems that polymers seem to last a lot longer over wax? and also seems to have a layering property to them with minimal loss of shine over wax? thinking maybe going that route instead of a wax?

so just overall wondering if of their product list if anyone thinks there is other stuff that i should buy instead of the starter kit would be great. just want some opinions and things to look for before i rush in there xD thx guys.

oh and ninja edit xD http://www.detailersdomain.com/index.aspx detailers domain is also like 25-30 minutes away, but god daymn their stuff seems so much more expensive xD maybe its brands? i unno just throwing it up there if they happen to have stuff someone notices that I HAVE TO GET. if you happen to look on detailers domain website on the cars they have detailed in the past, they do a pretty indepth photo/write up and they seem to do amazing work. they probably retarded expensive though.

tankies.

Last edited by bhk1004; 11-20-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Basically, Zian is right on. Follow his instructions and advice for cleaning your black paint. And Detailed Image is a great resource for detailing supplies, how-to and instructionals, and general car paint care help.

Since you said you didn't want to spend too much time on your vehicle but wanted it to still look good...

From the first websites you provided:
Collinite 845IW is a great, high endurance wax that tends to leave a 'bright' appearance. Good for winter protection or general all year use. It used to be available at Harbor Freight but I'm not sure if it is anymore.

Optimum Opti-Seal is a spray sealant that will literally take you 5 minutes to wax your car. Leaves a decent glossy, slick finish.

Washing:
Optimum No Rinse - especially good if you don't have a place to wash your car at b/c it requires no water.
Otherwise, I regularly use Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo (available at most stores).

For clay lube and detail sprays: Adam's Detail Spray is my favorite.

Wheel Cleaner:
P21S Wheel Gel Cleaner - Great wheel cleaner that is safe to use for pretty much all rims. However, for my cars weekly washes, I use the car soap with a wash mitt.

Last edited by Anomaly; 11-20-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Anomaly

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh, and here's SuperBlack350's Ultimate Detailing Guide thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/cleaning-an...de-w-pics.html
Old 11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Just a quick plug for Poor Boy's World EX Sealant. I started using this stuff about 6 or 8 months ago on my Carbon Silver as a finish coat, and the car has never looked better. It lasts a long time, too, which is tough for most products here in the S. Florida sun and summer thunderstorms. Takes me maybe 45 minutes to do the whole car, but I don't hurry, and I also do the door jambs, inside the edges of the hatch, etc.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Detailed Image
Sponsor
Detailed Image

I know you said you preferred to buy in a store bc your lazy, but ordering online should save you time and we'll help you get the right stuff at a great price. Most importantly we'll help you find high quality products that will make the black paint look amazing. Best of all if you live in NJ s/h takes one day if you order by noon EST from www.DetailedImage.com.

I really like the P21S products but often times you can find a better value. Their was is known to look good on silver paints, but not quite as nice on darker paints. You are also correct that polymer based products will provide significantly more protection than these natural waxes. P21S doesn't make a sealant but there are some really awesome options available (my favorite Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger). The P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner is a great cleaner that is safe on all wheel finishes. If you want a better value check out the Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Rim and Wheel Cleaner which you can dilute 3:1 for about 4x as much product for less money. This cleaner also works great and is safe on all wheels.

If you want the fastest way I know to wash and protect your paint I highly recommend you check out - Pro Kits 60 minute Optimum Wash & Wax Kit. This helps you wash with the Optimum No Rinse and protect with their awesome spray on wax.

If you prefer a more traditional washing and protection process I recommend one of these two washing and drying kits:
DI Packages Washing and Drying Basic Kit
DI Packages Washing and Drying Starter Package

For protection you can polish and protect in one step with the Optimum (OPT) Poli-Seal. It's a 32oz bottle for only $15.99 plus we offer 10% off with the coupon code 10off350Z. You only need about 1oz per coat so it's an outstanding value on a top quality product. We also don't charge sales tax since we are in NY.

If you have any other questions please let me know I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ DI

Last edited by Detailed Image; 11-20-2010 at 01:40 PM.