Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Dealer Applied protectants...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 05:11 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Dealer Applied protectants...

Hey all,
Just bought my Redline Track '04 on Feb. 5th. Hard to follow those break-in instructions sometimes ;-).

Anyway, I had the dealership apply this stuff called "The Protector Paint Shield" to the exterior, and they also used products from the same company to treat the interior and they did the undercoating on undercarriage. So my question is this...Does anybody else have this "Paint Shield" applied, and if so, how do you clean/care for your car? I don't want to strip this stuff off (especially after what I paid to have it put on) by using the wrong types of cleaners, and the dealer tells me I don't have to wax the car, just use a "Paint Shield cleaner" every 2-4 months (they gave me a bottle of it when I bought the car). Is this enough to protect my car or should I be doing more than they recommend?

Thanks for any input....

KC
Redline Track '04 - Stock!
Old 02-09-2004, 07:06 AM
Kevin Overall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you had asked us before you paid for the stuff, we have talked about it on here for a while. It is a huge money making venture for the dealerships, its nothing special, just a normal wax or polish that costs big money. I would never, ever let the dealership put anything on my car or even wash it for that matter. The never wax your car thing is a misnomer also, technically you don't have to wax your car, the clear coat will protect the base coat from UV light but who knows what it will look like in several years. I would suggest you wash and wax your car yourself. Washing once a week and waxing or polishing once every 3 to 6 months.

I also do not care for the black rubbery undercoating from the factory, the Z car has a very nice looking undercarriage from the factory, I would cringe to see it blasted with that black gooey stuff. Plus a lot of the undercarriage of the Z is not steel, but is an alloy that will not rust anyway. I am very surprised the dealerships would even consider spraying under coating on the car. It also makes it hard to remove fasteners, bolts, nuts, electric fittings, etc. that have been sprayed with the coating stuff.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:48 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
I wish you had asked us before you paid for the stuff, we have talked about it on here for a while. It is a huge money making venture for the dealerships, its nothing special, just a normal wax or polish that costs big money. I would never, ever let the dealership put anything on my car or even wash it for that matter. The never wax your car thing is a misnomer also, technically you don't have to wax your car, the clear coat will protect the base coat from UV light but who knows what it will look like in several years. I would suggest you wash and wax your car yourself. Washing once a week and waxing or polishing once every 3 to 6 months.

I also do not care for the black rubbery undercoating from the factory, the Z car has a very nice looking undercarriage from the factory, I would cringe to see it blasted with that black gooey stuff. Plus a lot of the undercarriage of the Z is not steel, but is an alloy that will not rust anyway. I am very surprised the dealerships would even consider spraying under coating on the car. It also makes it hard to remove fasteners, bolts, nuts, electric fittings, etc. that have been sprayed with the coating stuff.

Well, you live, you learn...There is sooo much sand on the roads around here, I wonder if having the undercoating helps to protect from abrasion as well as corrosion.

Anyway, all of your input absorbed, can I put a regular wax on top of this stuff, or do I need to do something special before I wax it....Additionally, where can I get Zaino if that is in-fact something I should use? With an investment like this, I want to do whatever it takes to keep it looking nice. There's not even so much as a hint of swirl-mark or water drops on the car now, and I want to keep it that way.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Kevin Overall

Zaino is another problem with dealer stuff, it is only applied to bare paint, can not be applied (will not bond) on top of another kind of wax or polish or sealant.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Boomer

Originally posted by kcobean
Well, you live, you learn...There is sooo much sand on the roads around here, I wonder if having the undercoating helps to protect from abrasion as well as corrosion.

Anyway, all of your input absorbed, can I put a regular wax on top of this stuff, or do I need to do something special before I wax it....Additionally, where can I get Zaino if that is in-fact something I should use? With an investment like this, I want to do whatever it takes to keep it looking nice. There's not even so much as a hint of swirl-mark or water drops on the car now, and I want to keep it that way.
Did you get a kit containing a cleaner and protectant with the paint protection? The reason I'm asking is I had something similar on 2 cars I owned and it actually worked. I had it on my 89 Maxima and 91 Toyota MR2T. When I traded the 89, it looked better than new and so did the MR2T. It isn't Zaino or Blackfire or other premium system, but both of my cars looked pretty good. I only used the cleaner once or twice a year. If you didn't get a kit, its plain bogus, but if you did, try it. If you don't like it, take it off and put on a good wax. Not all of the dealer packs are worthless.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:33 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by Boomer
Did you get a kit containing a cleaner and protectant with the paint protection? The reason I'm asking is I had something similar on 2 cars I owned and it actually worked. I had it on my 89 Maxima and 91 Toyota MR2T. When I traded the 89, it looked better than new and so did the MR2T. It isn't Zaino or Blackfire or other premium system, but both of my cars looked pretty good. I only used the cleaner once or twice a year. If you didn't get a kit, its plain bogus, but if you did, try it. If you don't like it, take it off and put on a good wax. Not all of the dealer packs are worthless.
Yeah, I did....It came with Vinyl cleaner, leather cleaner (not much good on my track model) and this stuff called Paint Shield Cleaner...Bottle says to use it every couple of months...My question really is this....Am I just cleaning something that they put on, or am I continuing to add more of the same thing they used. If I should switch to something else, now is the time...The question is, should I???
Old 02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Kevin Overall

Is the Paint Shield Cleaner a paste, liquid, does it look like wax or polish or is it thin like solvent cleaner.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:50 PM
kcobean

Is the Paint Shield Cleaner a paste, liquid, does it look like wax or polish or is it thin like solvent cleaner.
Well, it's a really thick liquid, almost the consistency of ketchup (not lumpy like ketchup, but that thick)...The label says:

New - With TEFLON...

Does that help?
Old 02-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Kevin Overall

Originally posted by kcobean
Well, it's a really thick liquid, almost the consistency of ketchup (not lumpy like ketchup, but that thick)...The label says:

New - With TEFLON...

Does that help?

Oh nooo, not the dreaded Teflon scam..... We have beat Teflon "applied" at the dealership to death on this web site over the last months. What you have there is just some kind of wax or polish, Teflon is a gimmick, might as well say "contains melted moon rocks" Teflon sounds cool as hell to tell someone that you have Teflon on your paint, but it means zero, read on:

Dupont several years ago released a press statment about their trade mark product Teflon. In a nutshell, they said the Teflon added nothing to waxes or polishes as Teflon can and will only bond to metal while heated to very high temps. Basically
what they were doing was giving a disclaimer for all of the polishes and waxes hitting the market making claim after claim about how superior their product was just because it was supposed to contain Teflon. This came out about the time the
debacle about PTFE resins and the Slick 50 product that also turned out to be a big farce.

Here is some evidence regarding Teflon. This comes from
Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine, January, 1989, page 110.

A direct quote:

"My conclusion is based on the information I have gathered in the past year from representatives, lab technicians and chemists from many leading car care product companies, including DuPont, the maker of Teflon. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer
resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon fluorpolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon is applied at 700 degrees F (371 degrees C), it is not a viable ingredient, and it is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish."

The bottle of stuff you have will probably shine your paint and might actually protect it, but the Teflon not doing anything.

Last edited by Kevin Overall; 02-09-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
kcobean

Oh nooo, not the dreaded Teflon scam..... We have beat Teflon "applied" at the dealership to death on this web site over the last months. What you have there is just some kind of wax or polish, Teflon is a gimmick, might as well say "contains melted moon rocks" Teflon sounds cool as hell to tell someone that you have Teflon on your paint, but it means zero, read on:

Dupont several years ago released a press statment about their trade mark product Teflon. In a nutshell, they said the Teflon added nothing to waxes or polishes as Teflon can and will only bond to metal while heated to very high temps. Basically
what they were doing was giving a disclaimer for all of the polishes and waxes hitting the market making claim after claim about how superior their product was just because it was supposed to contain Teflon. This came out about the time the
debacle about PTFE resins and the Slick 50 product that also turned out to be a big farce.

Here is some evidence regarding Teflon. This comes from
Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine, January, 1989, page 110.

A direct quote:

"My conclusion is based on the information I have gathered in the past year from representatives, lab technicians and chemists from many leading car care product companies, including DuPont, the maker of Teflon. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer
resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon fluorpolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon is applied at 700 degrees F (371 degrees C), it is not a viable ingredient, and it is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish."

The bottle of stuff you have will probably shine your paint and might actually protect it, but the Teflon not doing anything.

This is some great information...Thanks!...So now the big question....If I want to get this stuff off my car and apply a high-quality wax, how do I do it, and what do I use....

Also, I'd like to know what people clean the inside of their Z's with. The door panels feel like plastic, but the dash feels like vinyl...So what is safe to use on each one? I'm sure things like ArmorAll are pretty taboo, and since everything is a Matte finish, I don't want to add gloss...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:38 AM
Kevin Overall

Wash the car with Dawn to remove other waxes and polishes before Zainoing...
Old 02-13-2004, 03:31 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure this will be considered blastemy here but why don't you just live with the dealer applied stuff for a year or so until it wears out & then switch to whatever you want?

All of us would have told you not to spend the $$$$ for the dealer stuff but since you did you might as well get some use out of it.

As for the inside: 303 Areospace Protectant.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Drumtemp

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
I'm sure this will be considered blastemy here but why don't you just live with the dealer applied stuff for a year or so until it wears out & then switch to whatever you want?

All of us would have told you not to spend the $$$$ for the dealer stuff but since you did you might as well get some use out of it.

As for the inside: 303 Areospace Protectant.
That's exactly what I've done. I'm still waiting for a weekend that I have the time, and it's not cold, or raining, to apply my first application of Zaino.

Meanwhile, it's been 10 months since the dealer applied the paint protectant & it's still holding up very well. BUT, everytime somebody posts a pic of their Zaino'd Z I wanna get on mine BIG time!
Old 02-13-2004, 09:11 PM
dchengmd

Make sure you claybar the car in addition to washing with Dawn.