Notices
Cleaning & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Orbital Buffer Use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:12 AM
jhchan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orbital Buffer Use?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience using orbital buffers? I am planning on getting Meguiar's Cordless Orbital buffer (I live in an apartment with no garage). Anyone heard good/bad about this product?

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...&subcatagory=2

My other question is what type of pads should I use on this thing to be safe. I have been using Zaino with Fieldcrest and DFTowels for buffing and Z6. What would be a safe equivalent for a buffer?

Any specific method I should use for buffing? Just move it around till its all buffed off? I have never used one so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM
mesulli

Buy a Porter Cable instead. I use the Porter Cable Back Plate and Lake Country Polisher Pads:

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcaborpol.html

They work great.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:18 PM
mrZeee

man if that thing works nice lemme know...that would be perfect for me since being an apartment dweller no good access to an outlet!!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:28 PM
mesulli

Buy a Porter Cable instead. I use the Porter Cable Back Plate and Lake Country Polisher Pads:

http://www.topoftheline.com/porcaborpol.html

They work great.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:22 PM
jhchan

Thanks for the advice but I can't use a corded one since I'm in an apartment. Believe me I would LOVE to get a porter cable. Do you have any idea if those pads would be usable on another orbital buffer? I have never used one so I don't know if there is some sort of universal connector for the pads or???
Old 05-02-2004, 04:24 PM
jhchan

Originally posted by mrZeee
man if that thing works nice lemme know...that would be perfect for me since being an apartment dweller no good access to an outlet!!
Will do, I will probably get it since it looks like no one has any experience using it. Hey where in MA are you from? Going to the meet this coming weekend?
Old 05-02-2004, 04:53 PM
mrZeee

about 75% sure for cape meet...me?...down in S.E. MA...near New Bedford...good luck with the buffer for the price and being cordless is like perfect for me....for what I need it for the power/torque should be an issue...just hope its not too "wimpy"...hope it has some ballz!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:18 AM
Kevin Overall

Just a word, if you just plan to use the orbital buffer with Zaino it would not be worth it IMHO, applying and removing Zaino is 99% of the time done by hand. Usually when you use an orbital buffer it is with an abrasive compound to try to eliminate problem marks on the paint.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:28 AM
jhchan

Originally posted by Kevin Overall
Just a word, if you just plan to use the orbital buffer with Zaino it would not be worth it IMHO, applying and removing Zaino is 99% of the time done by hand. Usually when you use an orbital buffer it is with an abrasive compound to try to eliminate problem marks on the paint.
I guess my idea was to save some time and effort (not to mention sore body parts) when doing multiple coats in a single day. Last time I did it with one coat of Z5 and one coat of Z2 (Z6 in between). Washed, clay, washed before. It took me ALL DAY and I was sore as heck! I was hoping to cut this time down.

You think I'm still better off doing all this by hand???

Currently I use DFTowels to apply and I do have some spider marks in the sun and under parking lot lights.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:15 PM
thepostman

Default Re: Orbital Buffer Use?

Originally posted by jhchan
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience using orbital buffers? I am planning on getting Meguiar's Cordless Orbital buffer (I live in an apartment with no garage). Anyone heard good/bad about this product?

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...&subcatagory=2

My other question is what type of pads should I use on this thing to be safe. I have been using Zaino with Fieldcrest and DFTowels for buffing and Z6. What would be a safe equivalent for a buffer?

Any specific method I should use for buffing? Just move it around till its all buffed off? I have never used one so any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

FYI - I just bought my Z about 3 weeks ago and the sales & finance guys adamently told me to NOT use an orbital buffer on the car and only wax the car by hand. Supposedly, Nissan is using a latex based paint and if u use an orbital buffer it will make horrible swirls and make the paint look crappy. Additionally, when waxing you absolutely need to get a wax that is safe for latex based paint which may be pricey. I haven't bought any wax yet...due to it being so new.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:42 PM
jhchan

Thanks for the info but I haven't heard anything about this "latex based paint". I think your salesman was giving you a line. I currently use Zaino as do many many others here. I may not go with the buffer as a couple people including Sal Zaino himself advised to not use a buffer with the Zaino products.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:04 AM
mesulli

Thanks for the info but I haven't heard anything about this "latex based paint". I think your salesman was giving you a line. I currently use Zaino as do many many others here. I may not go with the buffer as a couple people including Sal Zaino himself advised to not use a buffer with the Zaino products.
What was the reasoning against using a buffer to apply Zaino? I use the Porter Cable to apply Zaino, but take it off by hand.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:57 AM
jhchan

I didn't get into specifics with Sal but he basically said even he does it by hand since its so easy on, easy off. Maybe less risk of damage? I deleted the email sorry. Sal is actually quite receptive to enthusiasts questions so don't hesitate to ask him and let us know if he gives more specifics.

This past weekend I did another couple layers and put it in thinner coats. This def makes a difference and still produces good shine. Much easier to take off. Maybe my first spring cleaning session I put on a bit too much which resulted in the aches and pains of taking it off...
Old 05-10-2004, 10:10 PM
mrZeee

jhcan...do you know if there is a major difference beteween a random orbital and "non" random orbital..I still think I'd like to pick this cordless one up...but I do not see where it says this one is a random orbital...or errr um is there a difference??? uhhh ummm errr??? and no I do not plan on using this to apply Zaino!
Old 05-11-2004, 08:52 AM
jhchan

I think by nature an orbital buffer is random. Because it is not making perfect circles and with the motion you make moving it the pattern should be randomized. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 05-11-2004, 12:15 PM
JokerDev

I think a random orbital buffer is designed to simulate a hand movement.
Old 05-11-2004, 10:08 PM
mrZeee

so when something states its orbital...it may not be random orbital??
Old 05-12-2004, 05:56 AM
jhchan

Like I said I believe orbital buffer implies that it is random. So thus I think all orbital buffers are random. You shouldn't have to worry...
Old 05-13-2004, 08:10 AM
thepostman

yeah, I think I agree w/ you that the guy gave me a bunch of bs regarding the special "latex based/water based" paint also. It was a little ironic since he told me about the paint after I already rejected the extended warranty from the my sales guy and finance guy. That must have been his last resort scare tactic....Haven't heard anything new in paint technology either...anyways.

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2004, 08:40 AM
ranger5oh

Ok, to displace some myths here.....

You actually take a greater chance F'ing up your paint with your hand than you do with an orbital buffer. Orbital buffers apply zero torque to the paint surface, while your hand applies much more. Torque on the paint is what causes swirls. Additionally, an orbital buffer will not really remove deep swirls, only a rotary buffer will. AND PLEASE, do not use a rotary buffer unless you are a proffesional. Rotary buffers apply the greatest torque to the apint surface and can cause serious damage and burn marks if not used correctly.

Basically, if you are looking to save time, get the orbital buffer. I use mine all the time and I can get 2 coats of wax on in the same time someone gets 1 coat on by hand.

Lastly, all pads are interchangeable as long as they are the same size. They basically get sold in 9" or 10" versions, but are universal within each size range. get it?

good luck,
andy.

Quick Reply: Orbital Buffer Use?