Notices
Drift SCCA Formula Drift, Drift Showoff, Drift Session, Drift Day, D1 Grand Prix, Drift Nation

KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!

Talk about awesome, and about dammn time!

I commend them for making this as im sure this took quite a bit of machine time and hopefully some good R&D...

I love the kit for giving the angle we drifters want and need, but i would like to know how it holds up over time and how it affects the steering knuckle bushing.

OEM:
See oem design of the Z = two lower control arms:
The translink(13) and the compression rod(11).......the split design has two lower spindle/knuckle pivot points and thus two lower ball joints.

KPRace design:

Eliminates the compression rod lower spindle/knuckle ball joint installation/pivot point.

It creates a single ball joint mount at the translink/spindle mount location, running all compression rod loads into the LT direction of the machined KPR translink.

Here if you look close you can see that the Z front spindle only mounts at the translink balljoint

NOw, this worries me, as now all the load is at the single lower translink spindle/knuckle ball joint - and that ball joint isnt sold or available to us cheaply. Its sold at the dealer as a complete spindle/knuckle

The only option aftermarket option i have seen is the moonface replacement lower ball joint that is quite costly that Z1 sells! however, the moon face unit is baller for sure!

Advantages:

1. obviously steering angle! WIN!!!
item 1 and 2 - based off of baller machined KPR translink!
2. rod end inner K member mount point - no more blown inner translink bushing, ie whiteline or spl replacement bushing needed.....
3. based off item 2 - replacement lower suspension mount bushing replaced
4. adjustable tie rod! tie rod more fwd?? due to kpr design...
5. steering stop?? adjustable?? - odd shape? what does it hit against????
6. NOw caster is adjustable up front (because of turn buckle on its compression rod and rod end (camber too!) on the translink.........specs?? caster limits? camber limits This would then allow (due to caster adjustment on kpr) for the purchase of less costly 350z upper control arms that are camber only arms.

--- is camber adjustment enough to stay with oem uca's???

because of item 6 - i would like to know what the alignment ranges are with this kit......

Disadvantages:

I can't list disadvantages, cause i dont know any/driven on it yet and dont want to jump any guns but if KPR wants to hook me up.........well then...lulz...

Buuuuut like i mentioned above, im very curios on this set ups long time effect on the ONLY ONE spindle/knuckle mount location and added stress on the one ball joint??!?! the expensive one at that!

I wonder if KPRace would make a coupon code or anything or a discount for mentioning my350z ...........

Also wondering on availability as clicking their paypal button indicates SOLD OUT....... boo...............

discuss.................anyone have any time on this kit????

-J
Attached Thumbnails KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!-front.jpg   KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!-zg_kit6.jpg   KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!-hankookz_5_page.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 11:12 PM
HATED1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this kit was put on robbie nishidas 350z for testing and adjustments were made prior to mass distribution, so as far as track tested, i know it's legit to withstand the conditions, i can't comment on how it will be a year or even three years from now because it is fairly new. It is sold out because of such a demend by the pro-am drivers. I called kpr and was told, we can get a 20 percent discount with 5 buyers.

Last edited by HATED1; 02-07-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

yeah, im curious on the longevity.....of course those dudes wont care as much, they have funds to fix stuff.....

-J
Old 02-07-2010, 07:03 AM
MPD47

While it looks like a really nicely made set of parts. It is wayyyy to expensive IMO. One wall tap or a good door to door hit and it looks like you're going to snap the compression rod off at the LCA. Not something I'm willing to pay $1500 for.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ yeah the price tag is up there.........

but i do understand the machining process.......the cnc time isnt cheap.....and making one at a time is costly........they probably need orders to make 5 at a time at least to make it worth it i bet..

-J
Old 02-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have no idea wtf im looking at. please explain for me, teh newb.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:07 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Nexx
i have no idea wtf im looking at. please explain for me, teh newb.
its the front two lower control arms -
the two separate oem units limit steering angle...........

KPR made this machined single piece unit to obtain mad steering angle for da drifting!

-J
Old 02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
tr_racing

i already order a kit, I,m supposed to receive it soon.

Kevin..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
theianmcdougall

did you mention how much this kit costs

i would love to add some more angle to my drift but i dont have the money to be spending upwards of a 1000 on it
Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM
MPD47

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ yeah the price tag is up there.........

but i do understand the machining process.......the cnc time isnt cheap.....and making one at a time is costly........they probably need orders to make 5 at a time at least to make it worth it i bet..
For sure, quality parts demand expensive prices. I just refuse to budget something that expensive when I consider LCA's disposable parts. Especially when, as you pointed out, that ball joint is not available separately except for the ultra expensive units from Z1. For a dedicated track car for Nasa or SCCA, sure, but something like drifting where I expect to take a bit more damage? No thanks, I'll make my own out of tube stock.

For those of you wondering, the kit is $1500.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by MPD47
For sure, quality parts demand expensive prices. I just refuse to budget something that expensive when I consider LCA's disposable parts. Especially when, as you pointed out, that ball joint is not available separately except for the ultra expensive units from Z1. For a dedicated track car for Nasa or SCCA, sure, but something like drifting where I expect to take a bit more damage? No thanks, I'll make my own out of tube stock.

For those of you wondering, the kit is $1500.
I do too as well........i have already looked into purchasing replacement compression arms.....i monitor mine quite often as they are gouged from drifting and tire/wheel contact....

-J
Old 02-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm totally buying these for sure,, and if we get 5 buyers it will only be like 1200. To me it looks like the put in good R&D on this product and went through testing to fix any problems on the way.

Don't the S chassis guys run theirs just like this design and I have not heard of any problems coming from them..

I say this is a great jump forward for us Z chassis guys.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:20 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Royal_T
I'm totally buying these for sure,, and if we get 5 buyers it will only be like 1200. To me it looks like the put in good R&D on this product and went through testing to fix any problems on the way.

Don't the S chassis guys run theirs just like this design and I have not heard of any problems coming from them..

yeah i completely agree.....

just curious on the ball joints now.....so far, they are not easily/cheaply replaceable...

there is another thread where GT-ER found some on ebay, but he hasnt gotten them in/installed to test if they will actually work..

if the added load of NO oem compression arm mount point on the translink inner ball joint causes premature failure...........grassroots peeps like you Royal may be buying expensive spindles - who knows, every year, two years.....

how harsh is it on them??? thats what im curious to see.......

either way..........Bravo kit IMHO....

-J
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
JonnyB504

Have yall shaved the little bumper stops?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:34 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JonnyB504
steering stops? yes... with tein inners with the silly spacer...

-J
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Royal_T

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yea I completely removed mine

And Jason I do agree with you,, I guess only time will tell to be honest with you.

I'm very interested in these ebay ball joints,, he has not installed yet?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
theianmcdougall

what bumper stops? i still need to buy front tie rods
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
HATED1

Default .

yup, s-chasis guys run this setup, ever wonder why they don't spin on such deep angles? well this is one of the reasons. Kprace's sponsored driver Victor runs this on the s14 ans s13 track cars with great results! I haven't heard any problems also. When i spoke to the rep at KPrace a lot of the bugs or kinks where worked out when they tested it on robbie nishidas 350z, so it should be more than enough for any one else buying it.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

yea I completely removed mine
??? You completely removed your steering stops?? do you make any inner wheel lip to compression arm contact???

I would honstly cut the steering stops in half then round the cut tip a bit, but i wouldnt remove it totally...thats nuts..

check your compression arm for inner wheel contact...gouges!

-J
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 AM
Nackers

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the spindle/knuckle will break before anything else in this kit will.

I've had some rough contact and haven't had any issues with anything but the front knuckle/spindle breaking. It's crappy cast aluminum and the ball joint mounting locations are pretty thin. Also, the upper section that connects to the A-arm is super weak as well.

But, they are only like $100 from a junk yard. I'm pretty sure with this kit that will be your only real concern. Everything else is just nit picking imo. Their kit looks beefy enough to overpower that knuckle. But, I would also try to stock up on knuckles like I am. Sucks breaking one of those at the track... trust me.

Quick Reply: KPRace Steering angle kit!!! SWEEEeet!!