Notices
East Canada Ontario, Quebec, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, etc.

infamous 3rd gear grind

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 PM
bender

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default infamous 3rd gear grind

So i've joined the club. My 03 is grinding into third on cold start for the first couple of shifts.

Has anyone had any luck having their tranny replaced and where? I'm looking for a dealer who isn't going to dick me around for weeks. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 PM
LiveWire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z's are known for third gear grinds? Good lord that sucks to hear. The RSX (my last car) was infamous for 2nd gear grinding problems.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 AM
KickMeInTheJunk

Was really only a problem on '03s, and some early '04s. Nissan revised the tranny design and the problem got a lot better (still not the smoothest transmission in the world though). Nissan replaced my tranny under warranty when it had the same issue, no questions asked. This was in Victoria though...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:57 AM
pss350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 trannies replaced here. The dealership wasn't going to replace the second under warranty till I raised a little hell. Don't take their **** and be careful with what you tell them as they'll blame you for the faulty tranny.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM
XuperXero

Got my tranny replaced. It was 6th gear grind... not 3rd.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
bender

so right after I posted this thread, it stopped completely. It came back last week though and is 100x worse and wont go away.

I took it to Nissan today. The good news, i'm getting a new tranny under warranty. Bad news is they say I "need" a clutch and flywheel also, which was no surprise since some people here had Nissan include it all in their fix. They want $500 for a clutch and $2000 for the flywheel. Obviously if they don't budge, im just going to tell them to throw my old clutch and flywheel back in because there's no way im paying $2000+ for a stock flywheel. It was pretty disappointing news since i've seen so many people here get it all included into the job. Now im just waiting to see if they change there minds on the clutch and flywheel. I'll let you know of the outcome.

Last edited by bender; 12-14-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Smasher

Thats nuts 2K for a Stock Flywheel that must be a mistake. You should be able to get a Nismo high performance Flywheel for ~$500
Old 12-14-2007, 11:49 AM
noodleman

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL $2k OEM Flywheel.

Sorry to hear you have tranny problems, as least Nissan is replacing it. I've heard this is a common problem with the G35 coupes as well.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Reality350

Originally Posted by bender
so right after I posted this thread, it stopped completely. It came back last week though and is 100x worse and wont go away.

I took it to Nissan today. The good news, i'm getting a new tranny under warranty. Bad news is they say I "need" a clutch and flywheel also, which was no surprise since some people here had Nissan include it all in their fix. They want $500 for a clutch and $2000 for the flywheel. Obviously if they don't budge, im just going to tell them to throw my old clutch and flywheel back in because there's no way im paying $2000+ for a stock flywheel. It was pretty disappointing news since i've seen so many people here get it all included into the job. Now im just waiting to see if they change there minds on the clutch and flywheel. I'll let you know of the outcome.
That is ridiculous... I would say order in a new clutch and flywheel (aftermarket) and have them install it for you.

Good luck man
Old 12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
toples z

Default tranny prob.

one of my friends had the same problem, and he went with the JWT flywheel and clutch kit i think he payed around $1100 (USD) in his hands. but i can tell you that its a really nice kit, the engine revs up much faster and it feels like a much more fun car to drive, but its not to bad and can still be used as a daily driver.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Reality350

OP,
check the marketplace, you can find the JWT combo's for $720..
Old 12-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Smasher

+1 for the Non OEM flywheel and clutch. I have Clutchmasters bought through JRP.

But.... will Nissan still warranty the tranny or any other drive train parts if you put in an aftermarket flywheel and Clutch ? Something to consider no? Thats kinda why i mentioned the nismo but with an 03 things might be out of warranty anyway so aftermarket would definetly be the way to go.

Last edited by Smasher; 12-14-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:36 AM
bender

I will be going to another dealer today. On another note, please avoid Oakville Nissan.

As soon as I walked back to my car, I smelt burnt clutch right away. It absolutely stunk. The entire inside of my car also stunk. It's so bad that I can still smell it the next day. Whoever the mechanic was who drove my car, absolutely beat the **** out of my car.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:02 AM
Z Tuned

Has anyone ever tried to remedy the grinding issue with a fluid flush/replace with some aftermarket fluids? Just curious if it made a difference or not.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:12 AM
clemlover15

those are true Nissan prices for those items, you can buy my used clutch and flywheel with only 5k on them for $500 I have pressure plate flywheel and brand new JWT street disc.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM
locknut

okay so where do i begin, i cant even tell you how many trannies nissan put in my car, like 3....and i did upgrade to the nismo clutch and nismo flywheel, cost me 1100 for all(waste of money) but i strongly and i cant stress this enough do not put in an aftermarket flywheel, you will end up with a chatter at low rpms' in high gears to the point where the whole car will shake and sound like it is going to fall apart. most likely is there is nothing wrong with your flywheel, and they will probably use the there are a couple of hot spots on the flywheel line...dont buy it, they are just looking t up-sell you and make some more money off you. and i would argue with them over replacing your clutch disc as when they did my first replacement of the tranny the new clutch disk was included in faulty tranny, further more argue that the clutch has been beaten up because of the faulty tranny, what i did was. i was able to convince them to apply the credit i received form thestock clutch disc and put it towards upgrading to the nismo clutch disk and pressure plate all in all it cost me a little over a coupel hundred i think.....

but in a nutshell dont get the flywheel, and do get the upgraded nismo clutch assembly that is the best advice i can give

good luck

Last edited by locknut; 12-19-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:46 PM
bender

So I took the car to 401 Dixie on Monday and what a difference in service. The same day they called me back and told me they were replacing the tranny. They mentioned the clutch but it was "we're already taking the tranny down so if you want to buy or upgrade to a new clutch, now would be a good time since we will not charge you labour on it, but no pressure".

Tuesday they had to wait on Nissan Canada for some sort of approval. Wednesday they started working on my car and called me to tell me what the clutch and flywheel looked like. They were honest and they didnt try to sell me on anything. I ended up putting back in the old clutch and flywheel because I never had any problems with it and wasn't going to pay $2000+. 3 hours later my car was ready.

I received the new 009 tranny ( ). It's like learning how to drive the car all over again. It is definitely not even half as stiff as it was. I nearly put my foot through the floor starting the car because the peddle is a lot lighter.

My advice to anyone who needs to get their tranny replaced, before you take it in, FIND A CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL BEFOREHAND. This would have been an awesome opportunity go upgrade to Nismo or JWT. They WILL NOT charge you labour on it. For those who are sticking oem, Nissan will give you a new clutch disk so you only need to buy the plate.

Last edited by bender; 12-19-2007 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:10 PM
locknut

Default glad to hear

glad to hear it all worked out for you bender jsut remember to take it easy on the car for the first 500 kms or so.....
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM
bender

So I spoke again with Oakville Nissan again today. I had some unresolved issues with them such as:
  • My car smelling of burnt clutch when I got it back
  • Debated why/why not I should get a clutch and flywheel at Nissans expense.

They had no answers to why I got my car back absolutely smelling of burnt clutch. Sure they checked with the tech and everything who took my car but even if he did beat on it, is someone really going to admit it. Really, unless I had a camera in my car, we would be playing the he said she said game all day. He said they only drove it 8km.

About the clutch and flywheel, they said the reason they recommend changing it is because the new clutch plate with the old clutch disk may cause a chatter later on. He said guys who had the same work done who kept their old parts were coming in complaining of chatter. I was told the same thing when I got my car back from 401 and Dixie, but Dixie never specifically said it was the old disk and the new plate that would cause it. I failed to see how this was my problem. I didn't ask for a shitty tranny from factory, and I didnt ask for a new tranny that would cause my old parts to chatter. Either make it work or cover the cost for a new clutch and flywheel that will work is my position. Of course my car isn't chattering now, but what if it does? Not their problem they say, everything comes out of your pocket from that point.

I may call Nissan Canada now only to generate a ticket and reference number incase it does start chattering anytime soon. Atleast this way I have a leg to stand on should anything happen. Sure, if it starts chattering a year and a half from now, i'm not even going to bother. If it starts in say 2 months, better to have some options than none.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM
bay350z

I just got my car back with the 3rd gear grind issue. They replaced that tranny and I had them put in nismo clutch, flywheel and presure plate. It was 10 less than the oem parts. Total was $1550. I am really happy with the resaults. I don't mind the chatter at all, acutally i kinda like it.

Quick Reply: infamous 3rd gear grind