Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:39 PM
UsafaRice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TheBigShow
would this plate b in my base model?
Probably, I have a track and it was in there. Why you may ask? No clue is my answer!

Originally posted by GY-Z
how about Amuse's dry carbon door , hood and hatch?
does the weight saving differs a lot?

I doubt the hood's weight difference is more than 5 pounds either way. I haven't been able to find info about the doors and hatch from Amuse specifically. I'd give them a call, but I don't really want to pay the long distance.

I'm headed back to Japan in 3 months, so maybe I can make a field trip!!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:21 AM
GY-Z

how about Amuse's dry carbon door , hood and hatch?
does the weight saving differs a lot?
I doubt the hood's weight difference is more than 5 pounds either way. I haven't been able to find info about the doors and hatch from Amuse specifically. I'd give them a call, but I don't really want to pay the long distance.

I'm headed back to Japan in 3 months, so maybe I can make a field trip!! [/B]
please keep us updated if u know any inf regarding to the cf doors and hatch.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:39 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After reading this thread it looks like about 300 lbs could be shaved off?

08 lbs Pulley's
20 lbs Battery
20 lbs Exhaust
40 lbs Wheels
15 lbs Flywheel/clutch
20 lbs Big Brake Kit
45 lbs Spare/jack
05 lbs Hollow Sways
10 lbs Hatch Balast/Wiper
20 lbs Seats
05 lbs C/F Mirrors
10 lbs Wiper Fluid
80 lbs Low Gas Fill

300 lbs Approx. Total - 7% weight reduction

Wouldn't that put us around 2950 lbs?
Old 05-25-2004, 01:53 PM
Vlad

Originally posted by zillinois
20 lbs Battery
its 24

20 lbs Exhaust
defenetely more than that with Ti. 40 lbs or so

20 lbs Seats
with below 15 lbs seats it'll be twice that at least

10 lbs Wiper Fluid
We only have gallon or so of it

80 lbs Low Gas Fill
curb weight already means low gas fill. So it's unfair call it savings.

Wouldn't that put us around 2950 lbs?

Yes, it's very realistic. I already 63 lighter.

If i do seats (-40) Ti exhaust (-40) spare (-45) and cf/lexan hatch (-80) It'll be about 270 lbs total... for $3200 - $4000. Just one credit card and I'm below 3000lbs
Old 05-25-2004, 03:11 PM
TheBigShow

what seats would actually lose enough weight to make a case for themselves financially and that u would b able to live with everyday?
Old 05-25-2004, 08:39 PM
UsafaRice

please keep us updated if u know any inf regarding to the cf doors and hatch.
Oh yeah, I've been waiting for a reason to do an update!

All the importers don't have any info on the doors- no one has brought them over. I just think it would be a bad idea to replace them for a street car- you'll lose that safety bar Nissan puts in the door for impact protection. And while the Z may be a "heavy" car, a drunk driver in his F-350 Super-duper diesel dualie is going to weigh a lot more.

I'm still going to pay Amuse a visit I think! I'll bring back pictures, phone numbers, and quotes and stuff for everyone.

GY-Z, if you want any info, first you have to tell us how much those fenders weighed compared to stock!!!

Speaking of fenders, the guys at Carbon Creations (made that all carbon bodied RX-7 that was in some magazines) will be putting out fenders for the Z this fall!

Here's another idea in the lightening realm- the brake dust shields on the rotors. They are heavy duty steel and won't be needed if the HPS pads from Hawk are used. That's gotta be at least 5 pounds. Also, I weighed the stock lugnuts and they come in at 60 grams a piece = 2.6 pounds for all 20. Performance Nissan sells that set of lightweight ones for $1xx and they will save you just over 2 pounds. Not very much, but it's something and that's unsprung weight as well.

Here's what I've weighed so far. The rubber-backed floor mat in the back weighs 6 lbs, the normal other one weighs about 1. The spare weighs 37.5 lb, the tools weigh 2.5. The subwoofer mounting plate behind the driver weighs 5 with all it's associated bolts. The mats over the fuel tanks in the compartments behind the driver weigh 3 pounds together. The counterweight in the hatch also weighs 1.5 lbs.

Anyway, we can carry 20 gallons of gas and that can be from 120-140 lbs depending on the formulation. I am currently sitting on 28.4 mpg for the 360 miles of city driving I've driven on this tank, so I know that we can make do with significantly less gas than a full tank for getting to and from a track or even evening cruising.

Bad news, a full NOS 10 lb bottle weighs 24.75 lbs.

- Joe

P.S. Curb weight is traditionally defined as "full of fluids," so it actually does include gas. And since we hold 4-8 gallons (24-48 lb) more than other cars, it makes the Z look like more of a "heavy-weight"

Last edited by UsafaRice; 05-25-2004 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:04 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by UsafaRice
Oh yeah, I've been waiting for a reason to do an update!

All the importers don't have any info on the doors- no one has brought them over. I just think it would be a bad idea to replace them for a street car- you'll lose that safety bar Nissan puts in the door for impact protection. And while the Z may be a "heavy" car, a drunk driver in his F-350 Super-duper diesel dualie is going to weigh a lot more.

I'm still going to pay Amuse a visit I think! I'll bring back pictures, phone numbers, and quotes and stuff for everyone.

GY-Z, if you want any info, first you have to tell us how much those fenders weighed compared to stock!!!

i did actually weight them
stock fenders is around 3.5 kg each. and the amuse fender is around 1.8kg each.
please creat a new topic after u have those inf!
keep us updated!!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

NISMO LMGT4's not just lighter but reduce sprung weight
Tilton 8lb Flywheel and Racing Clutch not just lighter but reduce sprung weight
Removed Spare and going to take out all that other junk in the rear...
Stop Tech aero rotors
RT Cats (12lbs for the pair)
Nismo Exhaust
Will be doing racing seats when I get money...
Old 05-26-2004, 02:10 AM
zillinois

Jason, do you know the weight of the Stoptech rotors?
Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Vlad

i did actually weight them
stock fenders is around 3.5 kg each. and the amuse fender is around 1.8kg each.
please creat a new topic after u have those inf!
keep us updated!!
6 lbs savings total... going to be $$$ per pound.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:00 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by UsafaRice

Here's another idea in the lightening realm- the brake dust shields on the rotors. They are heavy duty steel and won't be needed if the HPS pads from Hawk are used. That's gotta be at least 5 pounds.

I would get rid of them but they seems to be weilded in... I've seen guys cutting them out with metal scissors, but it looks ugly after that...

Also, I weighed the stock lugnuts and they come in at 60 grams a piece = 2.6 pounds for all 20. Performance Nissan sells that set of lightweight ones for $1xx and they will save you just over 2 pounds. Not very much, but it's something and that's unsprung weight as well.

got a link? 2 pounds off of wheels is well worth $100.

Here's what I've weighed so far. The rubber-backed floor mat in the back weighs 6 lbs, the normal other one weighs about 1.

Yep, I put back normal one too... Anyone needs great rubber-backed mat in perfect condition? It has Z on it, so it's a must for real Z enthusiasts!

28.4 mpg for the 360 miles of city driving I've driven on this tank

You got to be kidding us! I'm solid 19.6 in summer, little more in winter. With 40mph average, city/countryside driving.

P.S. Curb weight is traditionally defined as "full of fluids," so it actually does include gas. And since we hold 4-8 gallons (24-48 lb) more than other cars, it makes the Z look like more of a "heavy-weight"

Yes, I was mistaken. So we can "substract" gas. Great!
Old 05-26-2004, 05:02 AM
TheBigShow

vlad, what's your rationale on seats. i heard they really r not worth it. usually advertised weights r just the seats without mounting brackets, so they r a little misleading.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Vlad

what seats would actually lose enough weight to make a case for themselves financially and that u would b able to live with everyday?
There is plenty of seats that weight below 15 lbs. They starts from $500. Our stock seat is 37lbs, if I remember well. So it's a $1100 to save 40 lbs or more. $28 per saved pound... I'd say it's reasonable. Those cf fenders mentioned will be at least $170 per saved pound I guess

Here is charts for Sparco weights:
http://sportscar-parts.com/sparcoseatsize.htm
Old 05-26-2004, 05:18 AM
TheBigShow

i have the base model seats; r they the 37 lbs. u r talkin about? and is that with or without mounting brackets? if not, i assume stock and aftermarket brackets would b about the same. thanks.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:19 AM
jng1226

You guys need to search for seat upgrade threads. I read some pretty good threads from guys here that did upgrade their seats and they reported that the savings from lightweight seats are nearly negated by the heavy steel seat brackets/adaptors. I seem to recall some guy saying the seats (Sparco's/Brides, etc.) themselves saved 10-15 pounds per seat, but the new brackets actually weighed more so the saving was down to 3-5 lbs.

That said, a grippier, more comfortable, and more durable seat is worth MORE weight, IMHO.

Originally posted by Vlad
There is plenty of seats that weight below 15 lbs. They starts from $500. Our stock seat is 37lbs, if I remember well. So it's a $1100 to save 40 lbs or more. $28 per saved pound... I'd say it's reasonable. Those cf fenders mentioned will be at least $170 per saved pound I guess

Here is charts for Sparco weights:
http://sportscar-parts.com/sparcoseatsize.htm
Old 05-26-2004, 05:21 AM
Vlad

vlad, what's your rationale on seats. i heard they really r not worth it. usually advertised weights r just the seats without mounting brackets, so they r a little misleading.
That's a good point about mounting brakets. But stock seats have brakets too. Plus motors. Plus heavy leather (in mine)... My friend took his seat out once and said it's heavy as hell. So I'see those 40 lbs savings as realistic, even with new brakets.. Also don't forget that's weight from the middle of car, where we don't have many things to get rid of
Old 05-26-2004, 05:25 AM
jng1226

Again, before you spend the money expecting big weight savings, make sure you do the research. The threads I've read on here about seat upgrades mentioned the difference between touring seats and track manual cloth seats is only around 5 pounds - accounting for leather, heaters and motors.

People who have actually spent the money changing out their stock Z seats were disappointed in the meager weight savings (again - due to the necessary brackets), but were indeed very pleased with how much better aftermarket seats are.

I personally want to change the seats so I can get one with stronger side bolsters and adjustable lumbar. Corbeau seats look like a very nice and affordable option.

Originally posted by Vlad
That's a good point about mounting brakets. But stock seats have brakets too. Plus motors. Plus heavy leather (in mine)... My friend took his seat out once and said it's heavy as hell. So I'see those 40 lbs savings as realistic, even with new brakets.. Also don't forget that's weight from the middle of car, where we don't have many things to get rid of
Old 05-26-2004, 05:30 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by jng1226
You guys need to search for seat upgrade threads. I read some pretty good threads from guys here that did upgrade their seats and they reported that the savings from lightweight seats are nearly negated by the heavy steel seat brackets/adaptors. I seem to recall some guy saying the seats (Sparco's/Brides, etc.) themselves saved 10-15 pounds per seat, but the new brackets actually weighed more so the saving was down to 3-5 lbs.

That said, a grippier, more comfortable, and more durable seat is worth MORE weight, IMHO.
10-15 per seat is for fancy cool-looking heavy seats, I guess. Because if you get 10-15 lbs seat, that's 22-27 lbs saving. Per seat, without brakets. Don't know nothing about brakets weight. Guess, they can be heavy, but would be nice to have info on exact weight...

I might take my passenger seat out and see how much exactly everything weights...

Last edited by Vlad; 05-26-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:32 AM
PoWeRtRiP

guys you will only save about 5lbs per seat to put racing seats in. those brackets are heavy. the best way to save weight in seats is to just take out your passenger seat altogether that will give you 40lbs free. has anyone stripped out carpet and headliner yet thats worth about 60lbs. sound deadening underneath would be about 15lbs. take out your airbag equipped steering wheel and put in a momo for 5 lbs.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:41 AM
Vlad

So you saying sport brakets are 15 -20 lbs heavier than stock ones? I can't believe it... Don't they do aluminum or Ti or something?

Quick Reply: Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?