Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?

Old 05-30-2004, 05:35 PM
GY-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zillinois
Got my titanium lugs yesterday. Sweet. Freaky light. There goes two more pounds. :-) Didn't like the color much so I polished them.
TCS sportlines
where did u get it?
and how much if u dont mind me asking.
and whatz the original color?
Old 05-30-2004, 06:26 PM
MR-LIGHTWEIGHT

So the question is how much weight is added to the front of the car with a Greddy TT or PE TT kit (in kg pls)?

Last edited by MR-LIGHTWEIGHT; 05-30-2004 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:58 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GY-Z
where did u get it?
and how much if u dont mind me asking.
and whatz the original color?
EBay
$60

Pics of the original color vs polished ->
Attached Thumbnails Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?-lugs-wince-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2004, 10:40 PM
scz

Just to start up this discussion again, I remember someone saying that changing to racing seats doesnt save much weight because the aftermarket seat mounts are really heavy. Well here are some racing seat mounts from esprit that are 700g. This with a lighter seat will save some serious weight along with the spare tire, tools and lighter battery.

http://www.winding8.com/parts/detail/?id=14
Old 05-31-2004, 10:56 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by scz
Just to start up this discussion again, I remember someone saying that changing to racing seats doesnt save much weight because the aftermarket seat mounts are really heavy. Well here are some racing seat mounts from esprit that are 700g. This with a lighter seat will save some serious weight along with the spare tire, tools and lighter battery.

http://www.winding8.com/parts/detail/?id=14
any idea how heavy is the stock mounts?
+ is the esprite mounts really fitted on any bucket seat?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:12 PM
UsafaRice

any idea how heavy is the stock mounts?
+ is the esprite mounts really fitted on any bucket seat?
GY-Z, I had to pull out the passenger seat this past week to install an Odyssey battery under it and the stock seat mounting points are 4 threaded holes in the floorpan of the car. The rails that the seats slide on are mounted directly to the floor of the car, making the stock rails (part of the seat) the mounts.

And in continuing this thread's discussion, I finally got rid of the dust shields up front and trim the ones in the back. With the 5Zigen aluminum lugnuts, it's a little shy of 5 lb total off the corners.

The next mod is some titanium to go under the car, but I have to wait on Bulletproof and that darn "special order" from Japan stuff...
Old 06-26-2004, 09:44 PM
Th3Cleaner

Originally posted by 350Z 2+2 ???
If you want to see the advantage of removing weight from your car, just check out how the G35 compares to a Z. The weight difference is about 250lbs. It seems like the G's are running about 3/10ths slower than a Z in stock form.

BTW, the standard formula for calculating 1/4mile times has the following format. (keep in mind that there are way more variables than this formula has, so it's just an estimate).

1/4mi E.T. = C*(weight/hp)^(1/3)

where the constant C is usually in the low 6's somewhere (6.1-6.2).

If you expect a stock Z (3250lbs, 287hp) to run a 13.9, then the value for C is 6.19.

So, with a Z that you'd removed 200lbs of fixed mass, you'd have...

E.T. = 6.19*(3050/287)^(1/3) = 13.61

I would like to iterate again that this is all speculation and is just a general guideline to go by.

One more, less accurate formula deals with trap speeds. If your level of traction remains constant, the product of your ET and trap speed will also remain (relatively) constant.

If you assume that a 350Z, while running a 13.9 in stock form, will trap at 101mph, then...

ET x Trap = 13.9 x 101 = 1404

If you reduce the weight by 200lbs and run the 13.61 calculated above, your trap would be around...

Trap = 1404/13.61 = 103.2mph

Many people may find fault with this last formula, because more often than not, the reason our 1/4mile times are changing is because our 60' times (ie launches) are changing. To see why traction affects this last formula, you can compare two runs (one with good traction, the other with sorry traction). We've all seen something like this before:

Run #1 - good launch:
60ft = 2.050
ET = 13.61
MPH = 103.2

Run #2 - crappy launch:
60ft = 2.200 (spun tires for instance)
ET = 13.86 (much slower)
MPH = 103.2 (about the same)

In this case, the product of the ET and trap does not remain constant. This is why I stated before that this last formula assumes that the level of traction has not changed. Another example showing how traction affects this product is cars running slicks. I've seen cars running low 13's and not even trapping 100mph. That product is in the low 1300's, not 1400's like our stock (street tire) Z's.

Anyhow, this was WAAAAAAAY longer than I expected it to be. Feel free to play around with the formulas to get some rough guidelines, but ultimately, you'll have to confirm them at the track!
Nice Geek work.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:45 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by UsafaRice
GY-Z, I had to pull out the passenger seat this past week to install an Odyssey battery under it and the stock seat mounting points are 4 threaded holes in the floorpan of the car. The rails that the seats slide on are mounted directly to the floor of the car, making the stock rails (part of the seat) the mounts.

And in continuing this thread's discussion, I finally got rid of the dust shields up front and trim the ones in the back. With the 5Zigen aluminum lugnuts, it's a little shy of 5 lb total off the corners.

The next mod is some titanium to go under the car, but I have to wait on Bulletproof and that darn "special order" from Japan stuff...
i dont quite undersatnd ur first part with my esprit mount queistion, mind to explain more?
what u have in mind for the ti to go under?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:29 AM
UsafaRice

i dont quite undersatnd ur first part with my esprit mount queistion, mind to explain more?
what u have in mind for the ti to go under?
The Esprit seat mount appears to be a 1 or 2 aluminum brackets that bolt to the sides of a racing seat. They say it will attach any bucket seat because it appears to bolt into the side of the seat and not the bottom like a standard mount or bracket that bolts onto the bottom. I've only seen a few racing seats from the bottom up close and I think these Esprit mounts are basing the universal compatibility on the fact that racing seats are solid shells instead of frames like the stock ones.

As for the stock ones, the seat is a cloth covered, padded, sprung frame. It is attached to two metal rails that run front to back along the sides of the bottom. At the front and back of each of these rails, there is a hole to run a bolt through and into the floorpan of the car. The bolts are not visible even though they stick out past the bottom of the seat because the are covered in little plastic caps.

Not "what in mind," but "what Bulletproof should be putting on a truck tomorrow! " I ordered the full Amuse Titanium exhaust from the straight pipes back about 2 months ago. (The "R1 Extra Titan" and the "R1000 Front Pipe Full Titanium" as they have it listed.)
Old 06-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Vlad

And how much does it weights and costs? So we can compute $/lbs of savings. What the hell can we call that ratio? Dolibr?
Old 06-28-2004, 05:42 AM
toykilla

Got my titanium lugs yesterday. Sweet. Freaky light. There goes two more pounds. :-) Didn't like the color much so I polished them.
TCS sportlines
Do you have any idea where to find these other than ebay?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:49 AM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by toykilla
Do you have any idea where to find these other than ebay?
I know Performance Nissan stocks 2 different kinds. And the "titanium" colored ones are a much darker color than the pictures show.

http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=463

Originally posted by Vlad
And how much does it weights and costs? So we can compute $/lbs of savings. What the hell can we call that ratio? Dolibr?
Let's just say it gonna be a lot worse of a ratio than a battery or pulling the spare tire. I'll have weights when the stuff arrives.

Speaking of batteries, how is the PC545 working for you? Mine doesn't have problems during driving or anything, but I'm kinda concerned if I had to restart the car 3 or 4 times in a short period.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 AM
GY-Z

The Esprit seat mount appears to be a 1 or 2 aluminum brackets that bolt to the sides of a racing seat. They say it will attach any bucket seat because it appears to bolt into the side of the seat and not the bottom like a standard mount or bracket that bolts onto the bottom. I've only seen a few racing seats from the bottom up close and I think these Esprit mounts are basing the universal compatibility on the fact that racing seats are solid shells instead of frames like the stock ones.

As for the stock ones, the seat is a cloth covered, padded, sprung frame. It is attached to two metal rails that run front to back along the sides of the bottom. At the front and back of each of these rails, there is a hole to run a bolt through and into the floorpan of the car. The bolts are not visible even though they stick out past the bottom of the seat because the are covered in little plastic caps.

Not "what in mind," but "what Bulletproof should be putting on a truck tomorrow! " I ordered the full Amuse Titanium exhaust from the straight pipes back about 2 months ago. (The "R1 Extra Titan" and the "R1000 Front Pipe Full Titanium" as they have it listed.)
ic, so the seats cannot move back and forth when i use the esprit mount?
so ur getting the one with integrated test pipe huh?
Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
UsafaRice

ic, so the seats cannot move back and forth when i use the esprit mount?
so ur getting the one with integrated test pipe huh?
Yes and yes. I ordered the straight through sectioned piece after a good bit of research, but maybe not enough. I'm a little worried about it not sounding good (rasp action), but maybe the Amuse guys designed it to sound all right unlike the piecemeal systems people put together from different makers.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:29 PM
GY-Z

Yes and yes. I ordered the straight through sectioned piece after a good bit of research, but maybe not enough. I'm a little worried about it not sounding good (rasp action), but maybe the Amuse guys designed it to sound all right unlike the piecemeal systems people put together from different makers.
i really dono what rasp sounds u guys really talking about.
but amuse Ti exhaust system really have a vibrating sounds @ lower rpm, cuz of the Ti construction of the y-pipe.
@ WOT, sounds like a high pitch motorcycle!!
Old 06-29-2004, 12:59 PM
TheBigShow

u guys really think any combination of seats and mounts would b cost effective for weight reduction, if i only have stock cloth base model ones right now?
Old 07-04-2004, 01:49 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I weighed my Z at the track it was 3040 to get there i had gas on empty no spare tire or jack ( 45 pounds) and all the mats 15 pounds and i went from the heavy 17 inch rims which weigh 54 pounds a piece to the track rims which was around 45-55 pounds in weight savings. I also have toyo proxes which are 2 pounds lighter per tire (8 pounds total). I have the base model which is the lightest (3185 pounds) I have an Injen CAI and Stillen exhaust, looking forward to Vortech or ATI SC and Cusco 1 way limited slip. side note Im running 13.7 @ 104 at the track
Old 07-05-2004, 02:30 AM
spdracr877

15 lbs Flywheel/clutch
[/B]
correct me if im wrong, but isnt the factory clutch and flywheel assembly ~46 lbs
Old 07-06-2004, 12:09 AM
bascelik

http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/ats-product...ch-table.shtml

Multiply kg by 2.205 to get lbs.

I like ATS 9" clutch and flywheel combo. With twin-clutch setup, pedal pressure is same (16), clamping force is 1100kg and is able to handle up to 700 crank HP.

Saves 20lbs off weight, most of it rotational (flywheel is ~10lbs, stock ~28lbs).
Old 07-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Vlad

Speaking of batteries, how is the PC545 working for you? Mine doesn't have problems during driving or anything, but I'm kinda concerned if I had to restart the car 3 or 4 times in a short period.
During autox I often restart the car many times in short period of time (when I have not much gas left, but still have to keep engine warm). No problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?