Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:42 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok now im not sure how extreme your willing to go but why not do the free weight reductions first.

carpet and headliner 60lbs
pass seat 40lbs
sound deadening 15
a/c assy 20
spare and jack 50
plastic trim in rear 10
rear wiper and motor 5
ballast 3
plastic panels under hood over engine and battery ~10lbs (all of them)
front support ~10 lbs
plastic behind seat between trunk ~30 lbs
useless literature (registration, owners manual,) 4 lbs
drain your windshield wiper fluid 8lb
file down and drill holes in non essential frame components and useless bolts ~10 lbs
radio and speakers incl wires 30lbs
plastic over door and window motors ~20 lbs
rear view mirror ~2 lbs
plastic around ignition ~2lbs
cup holder ~.5 lbs
center console assy ~10lbs
ebrake cover ~2lbs
leather boot on shifter ~1lbs
lightweight battery ~15lbs
front and rear spoilers ~10lbs
factory sideskirts (do you really need them to race) ~15lbs

now for the hardcore

lexan windows all around ~150 lbs
ti exh ~15lbs
no cats ~20lbs
ti lugs ~2 lbs
lightweight rims ~18 lbs
cf hatch ~20lbs
cf doors ~100lbs
cf hood ~5lbs
lightweight clutch/fly ~15lbs
aftermarket headers ~5 lbs
non airbag steering whell ~5lb
front dash ~30lbs
smaller gas cell (10 gal) 10 lbs
remove headlights ~40lbs
ur pulleys ~8lbs

you see where im going with this. i could get at least 250 lbs off this car for less than 1k. for less than 5k you could get close to 500 lbs but your car would not be driveable

Last edited by PoWeRtRiP; 05-26-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:06 AM
Vlad

You missed the idea. To make it lighter without reducing comfort level or significantly changing appearance. It's a daily driver for most people here, so most of that "free" reduction staff won't work. Also you weight estimations are 1.5 - 2 times off.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:10 AM
Vlad

Also, I was thinking... Why not make a cf gas tank? I know it won't be difficult at all, it can be even DIY project for me... and weight savings will be significant. Of course there are safety concerns, like it will be easier to punch trhough... But probably it can be reinforced on the bottom?

Anybody knows weight of gas-tank?
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (10-10-2017)
Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
adanande

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who makes cf doors
? amuse?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 PM
PoWeRtRiP

^custom work likely^

big money
Old 05-26-2004, 12:53 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by adanande
who makes cf doors
? amuse?
Thats correct
Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 PM
adanande

doors are needed for safety i wouldn't touch them. CF doors + intersction+ Other driver or you accidentally running light= Death.
although you could feasibly die anyways. sorry i should be nicer. Don;t get 5 thousand dolare Carbon Fiber doors now because we wouldn't want any of our member gettin hurt. When i had an RSX type s it was a light car but in the period of a year one person on clubrsx died and another, my friends cousin died and their cars were 2700 pounds. The only thing i would do is get a lighter flywheel and clutch with low inertia either exedy or tilton and forget changing the engine and body pieces we already have a very nice flywheel and rims are fine, just make sure you dont get any heavy aftermarket rims because of the looks. Thats what killed the life of my last car. If you by 19s they better be 19-21 pounds -try i forged or ce28n? i personally don't know the weights but seem light.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:59 PM
adanande

oooh nice z GY looks pimp with the fenders all whide i might try to work with that, ive been after a whidebody with practical installation.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:28 PM
wick3d350Z

just keep you car normal..why strip to make it sound like **** inside the cabin? if you want good 1/4 times...just TT the car and get it over with
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 PM
nuff

wick3d350z, the whole world doesn't revolve around 1/4 times, some people actually race their cars around circuits, since this is what it was designed for.

By the way, reducing weight on a circuit car makes it go around conners faster and makes it stop faster. TT would help at all in the 2 above mentione conditions since it adds weight not reduces it.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
GY-Z

oooh nice z GY looks pimp with the fenders all whide i might try to work with that, ive been after a whidebody with practical installation.
thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 09:41 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by nuff
wick3d350z, the whole world doesn't revolve around 1/4 times, some people actually race their cars around circuits, since this is what it was designed for.

By the way, reducing weight on a circuit car makes it go around conners faster and makes it stop faster. TT would help at all in the 2 above mentione conditions since it adds weight not reduces it.
very agreed.
i save weight on my car cuz Z is too heavy on the circuit.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Vlad

Originally posted by wick3d350Z
just keep you car normal..why strip to make it sound like **** inside the cabin? if you want good 1/4 times...just TT the car and get it over with
Yeah, for 1/4 times TT will solve all the problems.

I understand, most people here talking about racing though, not 1/4 times to impress friends. Lighter car turns better, period. Turbo can't help with turns.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:24 PM
UsafaRice

Originally posted by Vlad
got a link? 2 pounds off of wheels is well worth $100.
http://www.performancenissanparts.co...roducts_id=463

Need 5 sets
Old 05-27-2004, 01:48 PM
adanande

thats funny i always thought that too, i had a supllier for my last car that i would always go to for parts and the whole establishement would laugh and the parts i would buy, once I asked for lightweight lug nuts and they straight laughes like "Oooh racing lug uts what do they spin?" but really rotational unsprun weight helps a lot. look at the track package lightweight rims, i drove on eand it felt like it already had a grounding kit when it was stock. the revs were subrsantially more tuned and the engine felt more there. Take momentum off rotating pieces. Remember those posts on flywheel decreaing engine breaking? And then The recent TIlton lesson on Moment OF Inerita and how not only weight counts but where the weight is at what radius. its harder to sing the same paperweight with a 10 foot lasso than it iss with a 3 inch one. And its its also harder to slow it down. Low MOI = easier decceleration. And reduction of Unsprung weight gives great response to the supension and make it feel crisp and light even though the car is heavy.M3s are heavy too but they feel VERY light. their unsprun weight is very low and event though they have macpherson theyare very at home in the corners and their hangtime speeds are very high alt least 10 mph more than my Z. My hang itme i mean mid corner constant velocities after the entrance and before the exit. when your just pulling the G's and whipping it around the bend. Evo's too, their weight is the same as the z but all of their supension parts are forged thus givving them a lighter feel and their awd also helps them bust out the exit of the corner. All it need si a driver that keeps the turbo spooling while the corner has it at bay then let it loos. if you induce turob lag by not being in the rigt gear or letting revs drop too much in between shift the turbo wont like you. Although all the 350Z/z supension components are aluminum not al are forged as in the case of the EVO so the car feels heavy.

Thats also a difference between a camaro and trans amm vS corvette. Besides better suspension geometry the corvettes suspension is also lighter which gives it a lighter spirited drive thought he chikanes and haipins where lightly modded camarso or trans amms leave off and brake.

So lets try thinking of new forges wishbones for the front, traction rods, maybe titanium springs ( i think rsr make them but i don't think their that good) also maybe super ightmeigh rims ( amg fills their rims with some weird material to give them enough strenght to make the wheel lighter. umm maybe lightweight rotors bolts for the rotors and brake calipers also hollow maybe even iff possible titanium sway bars or coilovers and endlinks in the back. I have heard that there is acompany in lake forenst that has made an alloy in liquid form that is twice as stron as steel and twice as light as titanium. I think those assumptions are theoretical though because the alloy is still in liquid form.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
adanande

i love stillen the made a stut bar for me. Too bad crawford is supposd to unduce turbulance or somehing because of the agressive angled front. whatever i dont think its pssible with flowbech results but anyways i opened up a can of worms. i'll take it elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:55 PM
UsafaRice

So lets try thinking of new forges wishbones for the front, traction rods, maybe titanium springs ( i think rsr make them but i don't think their that good) also maybe super ightmeigh rims ( amg fills their rims with some weird material to give them enough strenght to make the wheel lighter. umm maybe lightweight rotors bolts for the rotors and brake calipers also hollow maybe even iff possible titanium sway bars or coilovers and endlinks in the back. I have heard that there is acompany in lake forenst that has made an alloy in liquid form that is twice as stron as steel and twice as light as titanium. I think those assumptions are theoretical though because the alloy is still in liquid form.
Wow man! You make longer posts than me. RSR does make titanium springs that will lose about 4-5 lbs per wheel, but in my opinion, I would rather pick up a set of adjustable Teins and some sway bars. They won't reduce the weight, but I think you would see more of a handling increase. It's the same kind of trade-off that's made with the Brembos- the calipers and rotors weigh more (well, at least the rotors. I've never weighed calipers) but they give so much more resistance to fade.

In line with what you're saying, someone just posted that he thinks the track model car usually dynos higher at the wheels because of the lighter weight of the rims.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:58 PM
basam350z

The stock exhaust weighs 70 pounds?
Old 05-30-2004, 04:12 PM
zillinois

Got my titanium lugs yesterday. Sweet. Freaky light. There goes two more pounds. :-) Didn't like the color much so I polished them.
TCS sportlines
Attached Thumbnails Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?-lugs-n-bunnies-012-wince-.jpg  
Old 05-30-2004, 05:34 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by basam350z
The stock exhaust weighs 70 pounds?
the cat, y-pipe and exhaust weighs around 40 kg.

Quick Reply: Less weight = more power; Have you lightened your Z?