How the ECU works and what needs to be overcome for NA gains

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:59 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I Hate JDM
I just sat here and read this for 20 miuntes. I didn't learn anything new. There is no useful information here. I want my 20 minutes of my life back.
I don't think anything is new or that he intended it to be new. He just put everything together.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:06 AM
uplz4588

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well chris mcagle tried the emangae scaling off of a greddy TT map... i dont think that was a good way of doing it as he had to descale (sp) the injectors to get back to stock 290's. im going for an Lspec+Emanage+innovate Wideband (standalone guage kit) i will watch my A/F like a hawk to see any signs of it changing. i can also watch my ignition timing through my Blitz Rvit. so if i have a solid base dataloged of RPM VS Ignition timing at WOT through like 3-5 Gear on tap right after tune+ECU reset i can always go back to that and make sure the car isnt pulling timing.

and if it doesnt and i feel like im loosing power ill know its not pulling timing and ECU is F**ing w/ my MAF. im getting the kinetix IM also so this should add more airflow, BUT its after the MAF so the O2 sensors would need to sence the more air commingin.

i have the nonfouler mod on the TP's also.

any of this make sence?

mods are:
UD crank pully
Injen CAI
Kinetix full IM (comming)
Megan testpipes
Gruppe-s Ypipe
3in Single HKS exhaust

i can get pulled on by a stock 03 Z from a roll... THATS why im dying to get a good tune that wont get hijacked by the ECU... let the quest continue...
Old 05-10-2005, 07:08 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by nitrousoxidex
so how would exhaust mods take place in this situation? do these matter in those ECU probs becuz isnt it mostly freeing up the pressure and just letting all the gases out? I kno that the test pipes have a big part because of those 02 bungs. but like a catback exhaust doesnt have much to do with the ecu rite since there arent any sensors around that area. Most people just do the intake, plenums, headers, test pipes, and cat back exhaust as NA mods. so can anyone plz describe how everyone of these mods would affect the ecu/power gain prob? sorri if this doesnt realli make sense, i dont even kno how to put these thots into words, haha.
It doesn't seem to me like the ECU would be able to notice that, the only sensor back there (which is around the cats) is the O2 sensor and it just is there for emissions. There would be a change in backpressure, but nothing the O2 sensors would detect I wouldn't think.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:02 AM
kpiskin

So the bottom line to me as a noob is that I shouldn't do anything to my car except FI because the ECU can't handle any changes. Am I wrong?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:13 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kpiskin
So the bottom line to me as a noob is that I shouldn't do anything to my car except FI because the ECU can't handle any changes. Am I wrong?
Well, I never baselined my car to see what power it generated bone-stock, but I can tell you that my Random HF cats and GReddy exhaust did very little to gain top end power for me (despite the claims by these manufacturers). My car dyno'd at 238.7 HP and 237.8 Tq (SAE #'s) with these mods, and there were stock cars pulling the same numbers on the same dyno on the same day.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:35 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

WOW: http://www.capital350zclub.com/350z/MyZ.jpg

Nice kcobean !

(off topic but couldn't resist)
Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 AM
kcobean

Originally Posted by jcn30127
WOW: http://www.capital350zclub.com/350z/MyZ.jpg

Nice kcobean !

(off topic but couldn't resist)
Thank you. There are a few more pictures of my car in the gallery of the capital350zclub web-site...

http://www.capital350zclub.com/index...owimages&fid=6

(more off topic, but can't resist the shameless self-promotion )

Enjoy!
Old 05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

AAM posted on here once saying that for every 6 WOT runs, the ECU adjusts itself to give you more fuel and timing.

Just got off the phone with AEM

they say the EMS for the 350Z is put on hold and they're not currently working on it. Their universal EMS won't work either because it doesn't support drive by wire.

The HKS I'm not really sure about because it still maintains the OBD II stuff - which ok yeah is maybe good for emissions, but I'll bet my car passes emissions regardless if it has it or not. The other things not going for it is finding an authorized HKS dealer near you. In my case, there is one near me, but they've never installed one. And only they will be able to tune it. From what I understand it's software isn't as nice as other EMS's on the market. And I don't like the idea of what if that tuning shop went out of business or they dropped HKS? then I'm screwed....

Motec, there actaully is a Motec dealer about 2 miles away from where I live. Ballpark $ for the M800, harnesses, sensors and tuning is about $5000. It totally replaces the ECU. It will not pass emissions when they go to plug into it to look for any thrown codes so it'll be up to the car doing some driving on the rollars to determine if the emissions are good. Generally if you have cats, you'll pass emissions, but I'm sure it's different with each state. The shop near me says they haven't ever worked on a 350Z and if I went thru with it, they'd try calling Motec to see if someone developed a base 350Z map to work off of. I might be wrong, but it seems motec has the fastest processesors at 32 bit, 66mhz

Someone once said the AEM units are more advanced and friendly than Motec units.

still looking into the Autronic SM2. Sounds promising so far but don't know much about it yet. There isn't a dealer in my state for the SM2. I'm not sure about finding a tuner that knows the SM2 either... SM2 has Intel 16 bit running @ 16Mhz

Last edited by sentry65; 05-10-2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I talked to a guy that is really into WRX's and has over 30 years of racing experience (of everything from Baja truck racing to SCCA)...this is what he said...
Regarding the HKS F-Con V-Pro...
"their zone interpilations are junk, they hard cut, there is no soft cut zone tracing"

Regarding the AEM EMS...
"even worse, their zones are all in diff metering systems, one chart is psi, one is bars, one is time over rpm, etc etc"

"if cost wasnt a problem i would have gram weston build me a spec ems, besides that i would go with an autronics"
Old 05-10-2005, 10:49 AM
GregGSC

Originally Posted by sentry65
Motec, there actaully is a Motec dealer about 2 miles away from where I live. Ballpark $ for the M800, harnesses, sensors and tuning is about $5000. It totally replaces the ECU. It will not pass emissions when they go to plug into it to look for any thrown codes so it'll be up to the car doing some driving on the rollars to determine if the emissions are good. Generally if you have cats, you'll pass emissions, but I'm sure it's different with each state. The shop near me says they haven't ever worked on a 350Z and if I went thru with it, they'd try calling Motec to see if someone developed a base 350Z map to work off of. I might be wrong, but it seems motec has the fastest processesors at 32 bit, 66mhz

Someone once said the AEM units are more advanced and friendly than Motec units.
Anyone can use the AEM Universal or the Motec on the Z just need to change out the throtle body. The AEM works well on other applications such as the Supra I used one in my car during One Lap of America and really enjoyed it. The lap top came out one time to adjust the 2-step. other than that it it stayed tucked away. On the Z I am in the same boat as you whether to spend 5k on a motec unit or just try the AEM Universal on my Z. I think Switching to a Q45 Throutle body with a throutle wire and dumping the drive by wire crap is the way to go. I know that Performance nissan did this and so did Andrew Rubio in his Street Tire car. Both Companies use the Motec unit and have had great results with them.

greg
Old 05-10-2005, 11:46 AM
sentry65
the burninator

this is all great info guys, thanks

kinda starting to make me wanna just do FI with the APS kit and use the APS engine management...

problem is I'd be really tight on money if I did it and I'm getting married in 7 months...

otherwise it looks like motec or autronics....and I'm not sure I can find someone to do autronics where I live....or do what GregGSC said and do a cable throttle with the universal AEM EMS

Motec seems to be the best of the best though....

Last edited by sentry65; 05-10-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Nano

What about 02 simulators. Those seem to prevent the SES light from going on.

a L-spec reflash, apexi SAFC tuned with wideband 02, and then 02 simulators

wouldn't that do the trick?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Nano
What about 02 simulators. Those seem to prevent the SES light from going on.

a L-spec reflash, apexi SAFC tuned with wideband 02, and then 02 simulators

wouldn't that do the trick?

what's the purpose of the L-spec flash in solving the ECU issue? it doesn't anything other than remove the top speed limiter, and raise the redline, otherwise it's stock
Old 05-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Nano

The raised limiter is essential, the Z produces power easy up to 7000rpm with the bolt-ons we are speaking of.... with would be stupid not to raise limiter with those mods. Also, L-spec includes drive By Wire Re-mapping / 100% throttle position fix (ECU issue) if I'm not mistaken.

You can't touch either of those with any piggyback.

Last edited by Nano; 05-10-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

TS L-Spec raises rev limiter, removes/raises speed limiter, and TB opens 100% at WOT.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:12 PM
GregGSC

this is all great info guys, thanks

kinda starting to make me wanna just do FI with the APS kit and use the APS engine management...

problem is I'd be really tight on money if I did it and I'm getting married in 7 months...

otherwise it looks like motec or autronics....and I'm not sure I can find someone to do autronics where I live....or do what GregGSC said and do a cable throttle with the universal AEM EMS

Motec seems to be the best of the best though....
I would do the throutle body on any stand alone ecu. The aftermarket has not had or invested the money or time in these systems to figure out how to make them work perfectly.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:40 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by Nano
The raised limiter is essential, the Z produces power easy up to 7000rpm with the bolt-ons we are speaking of.... with would be stupid not to raise limiter with those mods. Also, L-spec includes drive By Wire Re-mapping / 100% throttle position fix (ECU issue) if I'm not mistaken.

You can't touch either of those with any piggyback.

well ok yeah it does all those things and they're all nice. I was thinking this doesn't change how the ECU negates mods though.

GregGSC, how much is involved in switching to a cable throttle? I doubt many people have had experience doing that on the Z. I know it probably isn't insanely difficult but how much money do you think it'll realistically cost to do that?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

GregGSC, how much is involved in switching to a cable throttle? I doubt many people have had experience doing that on the Z. I know it probably isn't insanely difficult but how much money do you think it'll realistically cost to do that?
+1. BTW, where can you find them? I've tried to find them on a few online sites, what all is needed?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:16 PM
sentry65
the burninator

btw, Z350Lover is the guy in australia who is running the motec M600 along with nismo S1 cams, VTC, UR flywheel, etc those 3 mods of his I listed might cause weird idling on their own though.

From what I read he just had a weird idling problem

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/107932-my-vqs1de-is-completed.html
and
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/103026-my-vqs1-almost-is-on-the-way.html
Old 05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
GregGSC

To be honast I wouldn't think more than $200 in parts plus a throutle body. We will be working on this over the next few weeks here and i will post what we did on a seperat thread. should start later next week.

Greg

Quick Reply: How the ECU works and what needs to be overcome for NA gains