Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 06:15 AM
bullseye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dershum
Ok, now that I've read this in relation to the ATS unit, my guess is that once I go out and purchase all of the parts for my open diff to make the ATS LSD work, the Quaife will run almost the same price.

That being said, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions...

First, what is the maintenance on the Quaife unit vs. the ATS one?

Second, most of my driving is AutoX, and spirited back-road driving. I haven't been on a real road-course yet, and while I'd love to do it once or twice, it likely won't be a regular venue for my driving. Which unit would be better for my purposes? My Z is my daily driver (including snow), so I'm also looking for something to help traction in bad weather...the open diff just spins one wheen whel I hit a slippery spot.

Finally, where would I go for installation on either item? I'm out of my warrantee at this point, so I don't really care what the dealer sees on my car. I've installed everything so-far on my own (all minor items such as intakes, audio, and plenum spacer), but I don't think I'd be comfortable installing this myself.

Thanks!
The Quaife auto-torque-biasing (ATB) differential works with gears, not clutch-plates. There is no more maintenance needed than for the stock open differential. It has an infinitely transferrable lifetime warranty, even under racing conditions. In other words, it will last "forever". It would be perfect for slippery conditions and track days, as torque is automatically biased to the wheel with the most traction. Due to its geared nature, the change of bias from one side to the other features a seamless transition with no noise or chatter. Your dealer could install it very easily, as well as most well-equipped tranny shops. It's a drop-in replacement for the stock open diff, but it would be a good idea to get new bearings and races, along with the oil seals, just to ensure a like-new installation. Someone wrote earlier that these parts cost around $100... not bad. My peace of mind alone would be worth the $100.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Kaitain

Just for us stupid people can someone just make it crystal clear:

Open Diff = Stock Diff in Base model?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:15 AM
THX723

Originally Posted by Kaitain
Just for us stupid people can someone just make it crystal clear:

Open Diff = Stock Diff in Base model?

Thanks in advance.
YES ... that is correct.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:32 AM
DBZCat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nevermind, just saw the price...

hmmm i have a few days to think about it...
Old 07-23-2005, 11:07 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Dershum
Ok, now that I've read this in relation to the ATS unit, my guess is that once I go out and purchase all of the parts for my open diff to make the ATS LSD work, the Quaife will run almost the same price.

That being said, I was wondering if you could answer a few questions...

First, what is the maintenance on the Quaife unit vs. the ATS one?

Second, most of my driving is AutoX, and spirited back-road driving. I haven't been on a real road-course yet, and while I'd love to do it once or twice, it likely won't be a regular venue for my driving. Which unit would be better for my purposes? My Z is my daily driver (including snow), so I'm also looking for something to help traction in bad weather...the open diff just spins one wheen whel I hit a slippery spot.

Finally, where would I go for installation on either item? I'm out of my warrantee at this point, so I don't really care what the dealer sees on my car. I've installed everything so-far on my own (all minor items such as intakes, audio, and plenum spacer), but I don't think I'd be comfortable installing this myself.

Thanks!
Maintain of the ATS carbon LSD simply changing the oil every six months or so. Same thing would apply with the Quaife.

Now, ATS claims their diff will last about 3-5 years, depending on how hard you drive it. Slowly, the diff will loose its initial trq, and will need to be overhauled. You can ask others with clutch type LSD's, and to my knowledge, nobody has had to rebuild them yet.

As mentioned, the Quiafe has a lifetime manufacturers warranty, which is nearly unheard of in the performance parts business. This seems to indicate that the Quiafe should last a lifetime with normal diff oil changes.

For installation, you can take it to your dealer, or any competent mechanic, preferably someone that has tranny and differential experience.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Just a reminder the GB price is $1380 shipped and we'll run the GB through the end of this week.
Old 07-23-2005, 08:14 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Just a reminder the GB price is $1380 shipped and we'll run the GB through the end of this week.
You've got PM. Please acknowledge. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Dershum

Sharif, order placed. Please check your PM.

Also, any recomendations on which fluid to use? I'm going to pick up the races, seals, and bearings for the installation, and I'd like to pick up the correct fluid for the installer as well.

BTW, anyone have the part numbers for the races, seals, and bearings? Or will Courtesy Nissan know what I'm looking for if I call?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
MR RIZK

Can someone explain what the races are?

Installing a LSD soon and have the seals and bearings on order but unsure what races need to be replaced.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Sharif, order placed. Please check your PM.

Also, any recomendations on which fluid to use? I'm going to pick up the races, seals, and bearings for the installation, and I'd like to pick up the correct fluid for the installer as well.

BTW, anyone have the part numbers for the races, seals, and bearings? Or will Courtesy Nissan know what I'm looking for if I call?
Thanks for the order! For fluids, I would suggest any good GL-5 fluid, and preferably something synthetic. I think you will find the Quaife nearly silent in operation, so the choice of oil is more personal preference than anything. A lot of people like Mobil 1, others prefer Redline, Royal Purple, or Amsoil. The instructions for the diff will have the recommending oil weight. My guess is its 80-95 or something very close to that.

Can someone explain what the races are?
The races surround the bearings. They are included as one assembly when you purchase them. So the bearing assembly includes the races.

Talk to Steve, and he will know exactly what parts you need. Unfortuantely, I dont have the part numbers handy. But you need 2 bearings/races and 2 oil seals.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

HI everyone, I checked with Courtesy Nissan on stub axles pricing, and I was pleasantly surprised that they sell them for $111 each plus shipping. Not too shabby!

If you need some, you can contact Steve at Courtesy Nissan (they are a board sponsor) at 972-644-3942
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do we have the required 5 yet for this group buy?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by dklau33
So do we have the required 5 yet for this group buy?

Yes...we are set. Actually sold 4, so we are close but I am going to honor the GB pricing.

One correction, if you call Courtesy Nissan, the price on the Stub axles is actuallty $127.97.

The bearings/races are about $40 each and you need 2 of them. The oil seals are $5 each, and you need 2 of them. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 PM
John

Order the necessary wear items well in advance, as there is a typical shortage or the races and oil seals. I would not order from Performance Nissan b/c their database is "adjusted" to pay for handling charges, and they now rip you off on many products. I had to pay nearly triple the shippinng cost ($50 for 3 day) on my rear diff cover b/c of this "adjustment". They refunded some of my money ($11 - no beuno), but I will never ever order from them again. Sorry guys, I'm airing it out now...
Old 07-25-2005, 08:23 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Give Courtesy Nissan a try...seriously....very low prices, and they charge actual UPS shipping..nothing is inflated.

I hear ya on the bearings/races...they seem to be in very short supply.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:06 PM
bullseye

How does the Quaife ATB Differential get along with our VDC? I've never driven a car equipped with both, so I do not know what to expect... Comments?
Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by bullseye
How does the Quaife ATB Differential get along with our VDC? I've never driven a car equipped with both, so I do not know what to expect... Comments?
The Quaife won't affect VDC at all. If the Quaife is biasing torque to one wheel then obviously the other one is slipping so VDC will intervene just like it would with the normal stock VLSD. With VDC off you will be able to take full adavatage of the Quaife.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:21 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
The Quaife won't affect VDC at all. If the Quaife is biasing torque to one wheel then obviously the other one is slipping so VDC will intervene just like it would with the normal stock VLSD. With VDC off you will be able to take full adavatage of the Quaife.
Thought so, but It feels good to read confirming feedback. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Absolutely correct.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:50 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

4 Quaife LSD's have been sold, including one that we'll be installing here on a customer's car.....also installing a little something...just an APS TT kit while we are at it.

If anyone has any more questions, or is interested in getting in this price..just let me know. I'm going to offer this pricing for 1 more week.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD ... finally available!