Quaife LSD ... finally available!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtroad
Got mine a day after ordering it - now I'm wondering how long a shop should take to install it??
Base model, so it should only be an hour or two, right?
Terrific...glad it arrived quickly.

Install should take roughly 2-3 hours for a skill tranny expert, but they will probably charge you about 3-4 hours of labor. Something around $300 seems fair, since they have to install new bearings, seals, and load with oil, and they often have to remove or disconnect the exhuast system and a couple other pieces.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
dirtroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Quaife recommend a break-in similar to the ATS LSD?
Thanks Sharif.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zillinois
Compatible with 3.9FD??

Yes.

I swapped out my oem open diff for a oem 350Z VLSD (might as well have filled a shoe box with $900 and tossed in a river). The oem FD is the same part on the open diff as the VLSD diff. The FD was simply removed from my open core and installed on the VLSD core. The only thing different would be the need for open diff stub axles, the mouting surface for the FD is the same on MT open diffs and MT VLSD diffs.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:06 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by dirtroad
Does Quaife recommend a break-in similar to the ATS LSD?
Thanks Sharif.
I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of a break-in requirement. There's nothing to break-in. There are no clutches nor clutch plates. It's all helical gears.

Once the gears on this ATB diff are bathing in diff oil, they're ready to roll, right out of the box.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:50 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by bullseye
I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of a break-in requirement. There's nothing to break-in. There are no clutches nor clutch plates. It's all helical gears.

Once the gears on this ATB diff are bathing in diff oil, they're ready to roll, right out of the box.
+1
Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Dershum

Just got the Diff in from UPS today (thanks Sharif!), and I have the install scheduled for Friday. Can anyone recomend a good source for Redline 75W90 oil that I would be able to have in by then?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 PM
bullseye

Sharif,

How did the Quaife installation go today? Any problems? Fit OK? Did you have to do any shimming? How does it feel on there, now? Did you take any pictures during the installation? Please advise.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Sharif,

How did the Quaife installation go today? Any problems? Fit OK? Did you have to do any shimming? How does it feel on there, now? Did you take any pictures during the installation? Please advise.
Look like my customer's diff will arrive tomorrow, so should have it installed by Tues night, or Wed at the latest. We are also doing a APS TT install at the same time.

I will definately post some pics.

No break-in is needed. But I imagine it would be a good idea to change the fluid after a few hundred miles, just to make sure there is no leftover metal material in the oil. I need to review the installation and instruction manual, as I am sure it will speak to the break-in process, if any. Once I recieve the diff, I will advise.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:08 PM
dklau33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pick up my Quaife from UPS tomorrow morning. Looking forward to your install notes and review Sharif. Hopefully it's a slam dunk.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:01 AM
Dershum

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I need to review the installation and instruction manual, as I am sure it will speak to the break-in process, if any. Once I recieve the diff, I will advise.
My diff didn't come with any instructions..only the two warrantee cards. If there are instructions I didn't get, can you scan them in and email them to me?
Old 08-02-2005, 03:08 PM
bullseye

Same here. No installation instructions came with it. I don't think Quaife includes installation instructions. I guess they figure if you don't know how to install a diff, then don't try...
Old 08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Same here. No installation instructions came with it. I don't think Quaife includes installation instructions. I guess they figure if you don't know how to install a diff, then don't try...

They don't come with instructions because they are basically a exact stock replacement item on a 350Z. There's not special parts or modification required, so the removal and installation is the same as what's specified in the Factory Service Manual. Even down to the lubricant required.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:39 PM
bullseye

Well, that makes a ton of sense, Briguy.

It looks like my dealer will install my Quaife ATB Differential for me. They agreed to charge on a time and materials basis. I wonder if they'll have to use shims? I hope not. By their own admission, they are more accustomed to installing complete/sealed/pre-assembled factory units. If they have to build or shim anything, I think I'm screwed!

The dealership is trying to source the bearing/races for me now. (The oil seals are apparently readily available.) Yesterday, they told me there was only one pair of bearings/races left in the USA, but one dealer had only one of the two bearings/races, and another dealership had the other one! It was not known whether either dealership would sell what they had. I should find out tomorrow. I got my fingers crossed.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
They don't come with instructions because they are basically a exact stock replacement item on a 350Z. There's not special parts or modification required, so the removal and installation is the same as what's specified in the Factory Service Manual. Even down to the lubricant required.

Very true. Most diffs will come with instructions in terms of break-in, recommended oil, and disassembly diagrams. The Quaife is a totally sealed unit and should never be dissassembled...should be a drop in affair, and should not require any shimming.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 PM
imoz

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Very true. Most diffs will come with instructions in terms of break-in, recommended oil, and disassembly diagrams. The Quaife is a totally sealed unit and should never be dissassembled...should be a drop in affair, and should not require any shimming.
Would this make it a potentially DIY in your driveway type mod?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by imoz
Would this make it a potentially DIY in your driveway type mod?
Well, maybe. You should always check the lash prior to install, and a this tool is usually something most people dont have. If you are very mechanically adept, I would say yes. Otherwise, have a shop do it. There is some banging and beating of the bearings, and a few other things that tend to frighten the home mechanic. Hell, it frightens me at times.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
dklau33

I was looking at the FSM for this procedure and there sure are a lot of special tools indicated. Tools to pull/install the bearings, tools to pull/install the seals, tools to lift the diff out of the case, etc. etc. No thanks, I'm leaving this up to a pro with experience.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by dklau33
I was looking at the FSM for this procedure and there sure are a lot of special tools indicated. Tools to pull/install the bearings, tools to pull/install the seals, tools to lift the diff out of the case, etc. etc. No thanks, I'm leaving this up to a pro with experience.

A screwdriver and a hammer make great "tools" to pull and install seals. And hands make great tools for lifting the diff out of the case.

I know what you mean..it's not a piece of cake..but nissan seriously has some really pointless tools that they prescribe for a lot of the work on their vehicles.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 08-03-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by dklau33

A lot of those tools are uneeded. I thing Nissan is trying to sell expensive tools!!

They even have a $5000 accordian lift for lowering motors down from the bottom of the car. We just use a lift, engine hoist, a pallet, and a tire.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:01 AM
dklau33

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
A screwdriver and a hammer make great "tools" to pull and install seals. And hands make great tools for lifting the diff out of the case.

I know what you mean..it's not a piece of cake..but nissan seriously has some really pointless tools that they prescribe for a lot of the work on their vehicles.
They must have some kind of contract with Kentmoore.

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD ... finally available!