Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 03:21 PM
skwez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Cruise Control

First off, I'm not really sure a Cruise question belongs in the "performance" forum, but I didn't know where else to put it.

Anyway, Can anyone tell me how hard (and expensive) it would be to install cruise control on the 350. I'm looking at getting the bare-bones Base model. I've looked at the Enthusiast, but I really don't care about the extras on it, mius the cruise. (I know everyone talks up the LSD, but I'm not really interested in racing in my Z so Lsd would go mostly unused.)

Anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2002, 03:27 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you ever plan to push the car, better hold on. 2 tires are easy to burn, I could only imagine 1. also TCS doesnt appeal to you?

anyway, Ive never heard of an aftermarket cruise control, since youd have to tap into the drive by wire system, that is pretty damn new, so a universal kit probably wouldnt work on the Z.

but then again, I dont know of any cars that dont have cruise control.... so I donno if anyone would then make it for the Z.
Old 12-12-2002, 03:50 PM
OP Z

Default -Info?

I've asked for detailed info on this forum regarding the cruise control wiring and got no response. Anyone with the service manual could answer my question, but they either don't want to share the information they paid for or not smart enough to read a schematic.

In either case, I'll share the info when I buy a manual.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:03 PM
skwez

Thanks OP Z. It would be much appreciated.

Ares, TCS would be nice in the rain down here in FLA, but I've lived without it until now, so it probably won't be missed. Oh, and I hadn't taken into consideration the whole "drive-by-wire" thing. You may be right about Cruise kits being hard to find and - for that matter - pretty damn expensive. I might just have to go with the Enth. package after all.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:28 PM
TalonZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sears (as in Sears and Roebucks) auto centers used to sell an "install it yourself" cruise control kit. It was inexpensive and easy to install.

If I recall correctly, a magnet (or magnets) was installed on the driveshaft of the automobile on which the cruise control was being installed. A sensor was mounted on the auto body adjacent the magnets. I don't recall what actuated the throttle. A cruise control switch was mounted in the automobile's cabin.

The driver actuated the cruise control when the chosen speed was achieved. When the driveshaft spun, the sensor "counted" the number of revs and either advanced or retarded the throttle to maintain the automobile's speed.

I'm guessing somebody on the web or J.C. Whitney still offers these things. Pretty simple, but it worked.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:43 PM
skwez

Thats sound pretty simple. And the magnets connecting to the driveshaft wouldn't be effected by the drive-by-wire. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:49 PM
ares
Veteran

but would it work with drive by wire, it still has a throttle linkage I believe, but its connected to a motor controlled by a computer that takes input from the pedal, no hard linkage, so to change the throttle it owuld have to force the motor, not just move the pedal.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:22 PM
kaiser23

Getting the enthusiast is a good idea. I think you get the most bang for your buck with the base-enthusiast upgrade. Auto-dimming mirror, homelink, TCS, Limited Slip, HID's, Aluminum pedals, Cruise Control. All the really useful stuff that would cost a buttload (technical term) to do, or can't be done aftermarket. Granted, some stuff like the Pedals, and HID's can easily be done aftermarket, but the TCS, mirror w. homelink, CC, and LSD are DEFINITELY worth the extra 2G's. I wish I had gotten an enthusiast instead of touring.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:40 PM
johnlotusboy

I have look at the factory repair manual and IMO you dont even want to try doing aftermarket cruise. The computer system for this car is not like cars were 5 years ago at all, sensors read to the computer and the computer takes and runs the other end on EVERYTHING including hi-beam, low-beam switch Heater/AC you name it is running through the "CAN" network on the car, I'm not joking the engine control section of the repair manual is 640 pages! this is way beyond average can all parts communicate on a common wire with their own address.
I can lookup specifics for you but get the manual from somebody (hint, E-bay) and check it out, my regular modern mechanic friends mouth dropped open when they looked at the manual.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:47 PM
skwez

Kaiser, here I thought I was the only one that knew buttload was a technical term
Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
skwez

I think I've changed my mind and I'm leaning towards the Enth. package. You guys are right, for what you get the cost difference really is worth it. Thanks for the info. There goes the 2K I thought I was saving...
Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM
ares
Veteran

no, I knew, also hitting is always a viable option to fix something. specificly electronics.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Swisha350z

My girlfriend bought a basic F-150 and got cruise control added onto it at the dealership... It was something like $3-400 for the labor and new steering wheel and everything. Not sure how much/less work is involved in adding it to the Z.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:23 AM
ares
Veteran

its very hard to compare this guys... all the cars mentioned are not drive by wire.

with the proper set up, theres a good chance its as simple as plugging in a little box to the computer and it will control the throttle VERY easy, no moving parts needed. just a simple electronic controller, and the car is already equipped for the rest.

or the same reason they cant put nav in the base or TCS could mean CC is unreasonable as well.enthusiast to base is a 2000$ upgrade give or take. figure 600 for HID, 400 for CC(if its possible) then you have home link, lighted vanity mirrors, LSD, TCS. if those 4 things could even be installed(1,2&4 cannot I dont think) they would probably add up to 2000$ in the end.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Question about Cruise Control

Originally posted by skwez
First off, I'm not really sure a Cruise question belongs in the "performance" forum, but I didn't know where else to put it.

Anyway, Can anyone tell me how hard (and expensive) it would be to install cruise control on the 350. I'm looking at getting the bare-bones Base model. I've looked at the Enthusiast, but I really don't care about the extras on it, mius the cruise. (I know everyone talks up the LSD, but I'm not really interested in racing in my Z so Lsd would go mostly unused.)

Anyone with info would be appreciated. Thanks!
I really recommend you go for the Enthusiast, it has so many more useable features than the base. I speculate the resale will be much less on a base than an Enthusiast. Most buyers will want the extras on the Enthusiast, I would. I would not buy a new or used base model.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:52 AM
OP Z

Wink Resale

As for whether a base or enhusiast will bring a better trade in the future, that will certainly depend on many things including mileage and age. However, in the long run the $37k Z is nothing more than a $27k Z with $10k in options.

After 10 years, I bet a base with 30k miles will command a higher price than a loaded touring model with 75k miles.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:23 AM
ares
Veteran

well.... yeah... thats a given. but if the base is modified with an LSD, xenons, and all that, it will pull in less than a stock base, and way less then a touring if they all have the same miles.

thats how it works, mods signal that a car has been "used to its fullest extent" and instead of getting money back, you lose it.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:28 AM
Boomer

Default Re: Resale

Originally posted by OP Z
As for whether a base or enhusiast will bring a better trade in the future, that will certainly depend on many things including mileage and age. However, in the long run the $37k Z is nothing more than a $27k Z with $10k in options.

After 10 years, I bet a base with 30k miles will command a higher price than a loaded touring model with 75k miles.
I fail to see your point. I thought we were dicussing Base vs. Enthusiast here. The example of the Touring and base has no relevance to what I was talking about. I stick to my original speculation. A same year Base and Enthusiast with comparable mileage will favor the Enthusiast since it has more features than the Base. If you mod the base with all the Enthusiast's features, you will lose money with non-standard parts.

At any rate, adding cruise control to a drive-by-wire car may be fraught with many problems. How would you or a tech of some kind make it work? Sounds like a fool's errand to me and potentially dangerous to the car's ECU.

Boomer
Old 12-13-2002, 05:41 PM
skwez

I hadn't even taken into consideration possible damadge to the cars ECU. I'm really thinking I'd better not try to do anything quite so difficult for a mere convenience factor.
Old 12-15-2002, 02:13 PM
Powerband

Just Get the Enthusiast.....You are much better off.