Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

what do you guys think of oil drain valves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Gralark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool what do you guys think of oil drain valves?

How many of you use a oil drain valve and what are ur opinions on them?
I've known of the one from Fumoto and recently heard of the Fram sure drain.
I'm not really sure about them. I guess they save you the chances of stripping or over tightening the drain bolt and you dont have to worry about having extra washers on hand after every oil change. But i'm just not too sure if i would trust something that only takes a slight turn to drain out all my oil, i guess if they have some kinda valve lock that secures it well it would be fine.
And then again i have always changed my own oil for many years and have never seen any hassle with just using the regular oil pan bolt.
What do u guys think?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:21 PM
kennyb

Originally Posted by Gralark
How many of you use a oil drain valve and what are ur opinions on them?
I've known of the one from Fumoto and recently heard of the Fram sure drain.
I'm not really sure about them. I guess they save you the chances of stripping or over tightening the drain bolt and you dont have to worry about having extra washers on hand after every oil change. But i'm just not too sure if i would trust something that only takes a slight turn to drain out all my oil, i guess if they have some kinda valve lock that secures it well it would be fine.
And then again i have always changed my own oil for many years and have never seen any hassle with just using the regular oil pan bolt.
What do u guys think?

Same here, unless there was some real reason for it, I wouldn't use it.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:54 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only plus I see is if you could move it somewhere so its not under the underbody pannel. Then you could change your oil every 1500 miles =) filter every 3000 miles.

Now that my car is a weekend only car that makes sense to me so the oil doesnt sit in the car 3+ months.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
thezedsled

Everyone is trying to make a buck and some of them do it by selling useless products. I would say this falls into that category...
Old 11-30-2005, 08:56 PM
thezedsled

Originally Posted by jeffie7
Only plus I see is if you could move it somewhere so its not under the underbody pannel. Then you could change your oil every 1500 miles =) filter every 3000 miles.

Now that my car is a weekend only car that makes sense to me so the oil doesnt sit in the car 3+ months.

How is the oil sitting in it for 3+ months a bad thing? Please explain...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
jeffie7

Based on the 3K/3000 mile whatever comes first statment theres also stuff like this guys post (talking about my bike over winter time) that makes me want to change my oil more often. (its cheap so no big woop)

Oil doesn't "go bad" just sitting around, but it does get contaminated. You said you just rode "20 mins here and 20 mins there." Especially in colder weather, that's not enough time to get an engine up to operating temperature. Moisture condenses in an engine when it's not running, due to changes in temperature and humidity. Add to that the byproducts of combustion when it's running, some of which can be fairly acidic. Leave all that nastiness in there long enough, and it can cause corrosion problems
bottom line for the money I could care less and for peice of mind for a weekend car I don't mind spending the 8 bucks it takes to change the oil out more often. When I drove the car daily I changed the oil every 3000. Now that it's a weekend car only it tends to get less miles but the miles it does get tend to be more play miles.

Either way its just something Im going to do. Is it a waste of time/money? maybe but who cares I have a 3 year old car that looks/runs like it's brand new =) People still give me the big eyed look when I say its an 03.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:15 PM
jeffie7

Does anyone else hate those darn keyword ads? BAH!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:20 PM
G35SD

I have the fumoto. It may seem like overkill to some, but I have them on both my cars and have loved them ever since. It literally only takes me 10 minutes to change my oil and most of the time is spent waiting for the oil to drain out completely. Sure you don't have to run to the parts store for washers and all that, but the best part is it cuts the time you spend on your back and under the car to about 2 minutes.

It does have a locking feature, and for those epspecially paranoid there is an additional locking clip you can use.

PM me for pics.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
mg350ZR

Default Fumoto valve vs. Fram SureDrain

I have been using a Fram SureDrain valve on one of my cars for about 3 years. It is convenient to use and does not leak. The only thing that I dislike about the SureDrain is the fact that it takes a little too long (seems longer than via stock drain plug) to completely drain the oil through the small hose that attaches to the valve. The hose also spins around, and does not sit securely on the attachment with the provided clip (although it would be very easy to alleviate this by replacing the clip with a traditional clamp).

I am about to do the oil change for the first time on my Z, and was considering replacing the drain plug with the Fumoto valve this time. It seems like Fumoto should be even easier to use compared to SureDrain (no hoses to attach, just flip the lever).

Has anyone used both, the Fram SureDrain and the Fumoto Valve, and has feedback/comparison of both of these products? How is the Fumoto drain rate compared to stock oil drain plug?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Ztalker

i had the fram suredrain and it was PITA, so i took it back and got my money back.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had my fumoto since my first change...its a pain since it takes time but it gives me time to pop a beer or 3
Old 10-10-2006, 08:50 PM
G35SD

Have fumoto and love it. Like the above poster said, less time on the cold garage floor and now trips to the parts store for new washers. The best part is it keeps me from coming up with excuses as to why I don't have time to change the oil!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Got the fumoto, does not leak, works, worth it to me.