Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Brake cooling ducts

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Clyde

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake cooling ducts

Here are some pics. of my latest project which is in the works. I dropped the underbody engine cover and added 2 scoops which will be ducted to the brakes. I used napa scoops 3", trimed the base to fit, and cut opening to match the shape of the scoop. Drill a couple of holes and used electrician ties to securely fasten the scoops to the cover. I need to purchase the ducting which will be tied to the lower suspension arm and directed to the rotor.
Attached Thumbnails Brake cooling ducts-coolduct-1jpg.jpg  
Old 01-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Clyde

Default pic 2

Attached Thumbnails Brake cooling ducts-coolduct-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Clyde

Default #3

Attached Thumbnails Brake cooling ducts-coolduct-3.jpg  
Old 01-12-2003, 12:40 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default NACA (not napa) brake ducts

While I can't claim any type of degree in aerodynamics, I think your use of NACA ducts in the 'belly pan' may be flawed. Why? NACA ducts typically flow best when exposed to high speed, uninterrupted supplies of airflow. When you visualize the 350Z's front bumper/airdam 'breaking' through the air, the airflow to the "underbody engine cover" will lose quite a bit of speed and not flow much air to the brakes. In my experience, a 'ram-air' type of scoop built into the front bumper or spoiler area usually works best for serious front brake cooling.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:50 PM
Clyde

Default You may be right.

I thought about that very thing and decided that if I wasn't getting enough flow to the ducts then I would place a 1" wing at the back of the ducts to force more air into the ducting. If all else fails I'll buy a new bodypan.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Just a thought...

Clyde- If you're serious about this brake cooling project, I'd suggest you buy some high-temp indicator paints (available from race shops like Truechoice) and see what type of temps you are really getting after several laps of a racetrack. Start by putting a row of paint dots (of different temp ranges) on the front brake caliper.

After running at least five-seven laps, check the caliper and see which dot has 'gone off' and what the indicated heat range is. Then, cool the brakes down a bit and tape off the NACA ducts. Run several more laps and see if the brakes get hot enough to 'set-off' the next higher temp paint dot.

Only way to know for sure, unless you have some type of remote telemtry on your 350Z!