Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

are companys even making aftermarket NA mods anymore

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 12:47 AM
o snap its eric

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are companys even making aftermarket NA mods anymore

Seems like no one is really making new mods for the 350z NA style. Is that true? I mean, whatever happen to crawford, seems like they bailed out on the 300whp and such. Kenetix seems to have fallen from the forum, they barely post and havent seen any new good products out.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:57 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe they finally realized that the only way to make big power in a z is with FI. or perhaps ppl stopped buying the parts and the market declined.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Diesel350

I know that motordyne is coming out with a host of NA products within the next year. Stay tuned.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:51 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We have new companies making new stuff, but it seems to be the old stuff recycled. After all there are only so many ways to get air into the engine, and exhaust gasses out.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:31 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I think the N/A market has dried up a bit..We used to do header installs left and right about 2 years ago,recetly we have done very few N/A mods such as headers..Seems everyone went with some form of F/I on the Z.Must be the whole bang for the buck factor,seeing how by the time your near 300whp on a N/A Z you could have got F/I and been near 400whp for a few more $$$$..
Old 01-10-2006, 05:53 AM
VandyZ

Well, we have been playing with tuning and what not. Dougs car is so close but the current limitations in our eyes are some that most will not want spend the required money on. Ironically yesterday Doug and I had a discussion on whats next for us. We have a couple projects in the works that will be beneficial to both N/A and F/I cars. We also still want to make the perfect set of cams. I think we have gone through 4 sets of custom grind cams and we know we can have better success. IMO, the cams that are on the market for our cars are far from perfect. We currently have better results but even tho the specs are more radical, drivability and engine management still have some wiggle room.

I dont think you will ever see us do any work or development with F/I specifically. Its too risky and is just not where we want to go with the car.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is Crawford doing any work with the rev-up motors? Seems thats the way to go for 300whp NA....
Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There will be more stuff coming down the pike, but honestly NA is not for most people. I am surprised that no one ever brought up the point up blueprinting a motor to run smooth like butter and extracting even more power.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Motordyne is certaintly working on new NA mods for the Z.

There are many different angles of attack to approach it from and everything will be utilized to make it happen.

Many new mods will be developed and some will be completely different from anything else seen on the market. New flow control technology and new patents! ....Many of the mods will be "Old School" muscle mods reapplied to the modern engine. Some will be a hybrid of old and new techniques.

I have a long list of new mods to explore. Some have already been tested and dyno proven. Some are modest and some offer big gains.

One objective is to keep it within the realm of basic bolt on's. (IE I'll try to avoid any significant modification of engine internals.) And a new Pearl White 2006 6MT REVUP 350Z will be the test subject and project car.

The new Z is stock for now but not for too much longer. It will get its baseline dyno this month and it will be dynod as each new mod is added to document the progress.

I don't expect this to be easy, otherwise it would have already been done. But 300+ NA WHP is the goal and it almost looks possible... so that is why it must be done.

In any case, the development and testing process is going to be a whole lot of fun! ...I get to freely mod and track in a new 350Z! Damn this car is fun to drive!

2006 will be a good year for NA Z's.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
o snap its eric

so your saying, looks good for the rev'ed up motors but seems like the non rev'ed up motors will not be looked at no more?
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
ReavTek

I think alot of what applies to the Rev Up motor will be usable by the 287hp Zs. As the Z works its way into the used car market (mostly 287hp model cars) you should see more interest in upgrades for it. I'm looking forward to see what Crawford does with it's cam package. It would be nice to just click buy and have everything I need packaged together (upgraded valvetrain, etc etc). I am also hoping more people start producing long tube headers... So far I only know of Supersprint and XERD. And Supersprint claims their headers are only for use on the Rev Up 06 Z.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:06 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Motordyne is certaintly working on new NA mods for the Z.

There are many different angles of attack to approach it from and everything will be utilized to make it happen.

Many new mods will be developed and some will be completely different from anything else seen on the market. New flow control technology and new patents! ....Many of the mods will be "Old School" muscle mods reapplied to the modern engine. Some will be a hybrid of old and new techniques.

I have a long list of new mods to explore. Some have already been tested and dyno proven. Some are modest and some offer big gains.

One objective is to keep it within the realm of basic bolt on's. (IE I'll try to avoid any significant modification of engine internals.) And a new Pearl White 2006 6MT REVUP 350Z will be the test subject and project car.

The new Z is stock for now but not for too much longer. It will get its baseline dyno this month and it will be dynod as each new mod is added to document the progress.

I don't expect this to be easy, otherwise it would have already been done. But 300+ NA WHP is the goal and it almost looks possible... so that is why it must be done.

In any case, the development and testing process is going to be a whole lot of fun! ...I get to freely mod and track in a new 350Z! Damn this car is fun to drive!

2006 will be a good year for NA Z's.
Just curious if you are thinking of producing some 3.9 gears for the Z at a reasonable price? Right now only gears are from 350Evo and Central20.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by o snap its eric
so your saying, looks good for the rev'ed up motors but seems like the non rev'ed up motors will not be looked at no more?
I will baseline from the REVUP, but most of the mods will be usable on the 287.

In fact, I already developed and dynod 2 of them on my non-REVUP G35.

EDIT: and probably not gears... I want to focus on making HP before working on how to gear it.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 01-10-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:51 AM
G I Love My Car

I am at 281 rwhp with no internals mods or headers, we are putting the crawford headers on friday and tuning the Greddy EU on saturday. Now I dont think that we will break 300 but might come very close with race gas. We shall see, I will repost on monday with dyno results.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by G I Love My Car
I am at 281 rwhp with no internals mods or headers, we are putting the crawford headers on friday and tuning the Greddy EU on saturday. Now I dont think that we will break 300 but might come very close with race gas. We shall see, I will repost on monday with dyno results.
What mods to do you have?
Old 01-10-2006, 05:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys realize 300 NA has already been achieved...and it was a while ago

That being said, one or both of our Z's will be the next to publically hit those levels with the latest iteration of mods. As mentioned though, its not an inexpensive route to go, and probably not something we'll even be offering to the public - more for our own enjoyment till the skyline comes over. But we will be sharing the results none-the-less

adam
Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Z350Lover

Rickdog,

my engine was blue printed with the rest of the parts that I put in and they told me (before the valve clipped) they couldn't believe how quiet and how smooth my engine was, way better than the stock engine...

cheers,

richie
Old 01-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Rickdog,

my engine was blue printed with the rest of the parts that I put in and they told me (before the valve clipped) they couldn't believe how quiet and how smooth my engine was, way better than the stock engine...

cheers,

richie
Nice! Driving your car must be a dream!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you guys realize 300 NA has already been achieved...and it was a while ago

That being said, one or both of our Z's will be the next to publically hit those levels with the latest iteration of mods. As mentioned though, its not an inexpensive route to go, and probably not something we'll even be offering to the public - more for our own enjoyment till the skyline comes over. But we will be sharing the results none-the-less

adam
Yes. Certainly for race specific applications or a few project cars.... I was thinking of something a little more attainable by the general public. Preferably mods that most people on this board could do to their own car or even at a local install shop.

No FI, no nitrous and minimal (if any) internal work.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 PM
350ZTrackspec

Tony,

Sounds promising. I'll back ya 100%. good to see you take one such an exciting project. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Quick Reply: are companys even making aftermarket NA mods anymore