Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

solid motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default solid motor mounts

am getting ready to start production of solid motor mounts. they are 1.75"od dom tubing with welded end caps. comes with bolts and also 1/8" rubber shims to aid in proper seating and very light vibration absorbing. these are far stronger than the factory mounts and would not fail over time like a factory mount or break due to to much hp like a factory mount could.
if you do ANY type of competition with your car, these are a must have. also, for turbo set ups, these help lock the motor stable so you don't loosen your turbo piping by having it rub in the engine bay. i have been running these for about 6 months and had no probs at all. vibration is very tolerable, and actually hardly even noticeable.

price $115 shipped
Attached Thumbnails solid motor mounts-picture-111resize.jpg  
Old 02-09-2006, 07:23 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much in total incl shipping to New Zealand? can i have your email address?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:25 PM
bleunetizen

also, what is the material used for the mount? thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 07:26 PM
eat rice z33

how hard is the install?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:48 PM
DomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it come with some sort of instructions or tips?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by bleunetizen
also, what is the material used for the mount? thanks!
the material is 1.75" dom tubing (.25 wall iirc) with 1/4" bar welded to it for the ends.. you could lift a house with this!! you will never have to worry about the strength on these.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:37 AM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by DomZ
Will it come with some sort of instructions or tips?
you will have to lift the motor to do the install. the hardest part will be removing the stock mounts. after that, these will be a breeze to install.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 AM
bleunetizen

Sorry I dont know what dom tubing is.. i beleieve its some sort of steel? any risk of rust?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:32 AM
overZealous1

dom stands for drawn over mandrel. the particular stuff i am using is what would be used for a certified roll bar. believe me, it would take like a billion pounds to crush this, no really, lol. i will finish them with an epoxy paint.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
sentry65
the burninator

so these would give you a little more power to the wheels, but vibrate the chasis of the car to all hell?

do you need solid transmission mounts to go with these as well?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:00 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Im interested, sounds like a good mod.

Now if it comes with DIY directions. Like how to lift the engine and install these step by step i would be sold. I for one have never lifted a engine out of a car.

Let me know

Later
Aceman
Old 02-10-2006, 01:08 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Hey "oZ1" (sorry for the nickname) are these constructed like the set on your car or are they fully machined?? I copied and pasted your write-up a few months ago, for my personal use of course , but since you're selling them I may take a set..
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM
laswyguy

Originally Posted by sentry65
so these would give you a little more power to the wheels, but vibrate the chasis of the car to all hell?

+1.. the VQ motor is rough as hell as it is.. for the street, I mean, how much better throttle responce can we expect?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:11 PM
eat rice z33

o wait, i just realized these raise the engine.. and there SOLID i wanted stiffer not solid mounts!! sorry solid mounts are a huge NO. NO!!
Old 02-10-2006, 02:28 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by eat rice z33
o wait, i just realized these raise the engine.. and there SOLID i wanted stiffer not solid mounts!! sorry solid mounts are a huge NO. NO!!
Why are they a "NO, NO!!"? I have had solid mounts before and they can increase vibrations but, these appear not to.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 PM
atlsupdawg#2

You wouldn't need solid tranny mounts as the movement of the tranny is a driect effect of the movement of the engine, to some degree. Now if it were the other way around (ie. solid tranny mounts/stock motor mounts) you'd induce more stress into the gearbox due to the "shock factor".

On my Supra I didn't quite have soild mounts but had the TRD mounts which were A LOT stiffer than OEM. Yes, you will tell the difference in terms of how much vibration is transmitted through the chassis.

It's really hard to tell with the hood closed just how much the engine twists through a 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear pull. It's more pronounced with FI!! From what I've seen, at least in the Supra community, is that the motor can torque so much that it could ram the turbo into the shock tower. So, you can imagine how much torque is lost just from this "twisting" motion alone; AND the torque is fighting against some already stiff motor mounts.

Bottom line, your tranny and clutch will take more punishment but the reward is reliable and sweet. Albeit you're not dumping the clutch at every go-light (stop light).
Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
sentry65
the burninator

so would this show up in a dyno with increased torque or is it the same effect as changing the gearing or rotational mass (which is what I'm assuming)??

is the car more noticably quicker with these? by how much?

How much more vibration is it? Like if you put a cup of water in a cup holder - is the water really spashing around or barely moving?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

flick the throttle and you get the chassis twist
Old 02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
atlsupdawg#2

so would this show up in a dyno with increased torque or is it the same effect as changing the gearing or rotational mass (which is what I'm assuming)??

is the car more noticably quicker with these? by how much?

How much more vibration is it? Like if you put a cup of water in a cup holder - is the water really spashing around or barely moving?
I don't think it would be something necessarily seen as a huge bump on the dyno. You're right along the right path when comparing it to a gear swap. Not "seen" as much as it is "felt".

If you wanna take it step furhter, consider it like upgrading your rack and pinion steering to something with a lower ratio OR removing it completely. Everything in the road that you run over becomes more pronounced and transfered straight to the driver.

Vibration is directly dependent on how balanced the motor is. Obviously a 406 V8 is gonna shake water outta your cup faster than the VQ will.

Over all this is very good mod if you can deal the increased amount of feed back you'll see as the driver. The more you feel the more you 'll be able to control.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 PM
overZealous1

you will not twist the chassis with these, hahhaa. the vibration is bairily noticeable. i have cams in my motor also and i can bairily feel the motor running.
the main benefits are that you will never have to worry about breaking an engine mount in the future or from too much hp. also, it makes the car alot more responsive to throttle input. if you do ANY type of racing or just want better motor responce, this is the way to do it! it also gives the driver a better feel on the car and will react more predictable driving at the limit.
true, you wouldn't really need a solid tranny mount. i am not running one and could be part of the reason these don't give much vibration. you would never want to run the other way around, with a solid trans mount and flexible motor mounts. if you are doing alot of competition, then by all means do a solid trans mount too.

Quick Reply: solid motor mounts