Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Resetting the ECU did something!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:09 AM
350NISMO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resetting the ECU did something!

Technosquare posted on how to reset the ECU a while back, and I successfully did so. I definitely noticed a big diff, the 275 width rears were spinning consistently from 30 mph roll ons, where as they would normally not. I have a Nismo intake and exhaust and was worried my car was getting slower cuz it felt like it was. I raced a a v6 2003 eclipse yesterday going onto I75 and was barely pulling and I knew something was up. Man im so happy now Im going to wash my car.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:35 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you normally dont beat your car , it will adjust to your driving habits . Resetting the ECU will restore it to run stronger
Old 03-27-2006, 06:48 AM
350NISMO

is resetting something permanent, or do I have to reset every time I want to be at full potential?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:12 AM
99atlantic

unless you're going WOT all the time, it will begin to dummy itself down
Old 04-01-2006, 10:18 AM
jwales

Are there any negatives to resetting the ECU? I only have a PopCharger installed but the car was super babied for the first 4k miles. If the above is true and the ECU "dumbs" itself down according to your driving habits, then absent any disadvantages i think that I may give this a try.

Has anyone tried any of the other "resets" on the Technosquare website?

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Results?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

I read somewhere that its god to change up how aggressive you drive with the car. It keeps the ECU to constantly keep adjusting itslef. If thats true or not, I don't know. Im sure some of the gurus on here could shed light on it. All in all, I think my car has remaind strong, but I make sure to vary the way I drive to work. Back roads with twisties allow me to move through a wide throttle range, instead of just taking the same highway.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwales
Are there any negatives to resetting the ECU? I only have a PopCharger installed but the car was super babied for the first 4k miles. If the above is true and the ECU "dumbs" itself down according to your driving habits, then absent any disadvantages i think that I may give this a try.

Has anyone tried any of the other "resets" on the Technosquare website?

http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Results?
You'll usually notice a degradation of fuel economy as the ECU dumps fuel according to it's default maps. It will trim down slowly on the consumption as it adapts to your driving and the fuel you put in it.

So yes, if you baby it, it will drive "economically".

You should also do a reset each time you mod the car to speed up it's learning of the new goodies. If you don't, it will just take longer to get the full benefits.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Cannysage

If you don't reset your ECU, I noticed that it takes around 250 miles of driving around to adjust to your mod.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
jwales

Thanks for the info - I am going to attempt the "timed gas pedal calisthenics" for the TS ECU reset tomorrow.

Anyone know anything about the other resets TS mentions on that page?
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
6swhite350z

if the car is bone stock.. purchased brand new (2006 with only test drive miles).. do you need to reset the ECU in the future? at how many miles?
Old 04-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6swhite350z
if the car is bone stock.. purchased brand new (2006 with only test drive miles).. do you need to reset the ECU in the future? at how many miles?
You never need to do an ECU reset, unless you mod the engine/drive train.

What I did when I lived in Quebec, I'd reset it twice a year to accomodate the temperature changes (going from +25C to -15C changes a lot of things for the engine!).
Old 04-02-2006, 08:22 AM
mikead_99

Anyone know anything about the other resets TS mentions on that page?
One of the motordyne guys mentioned disconnecting battery negative and pumping the breaks a few times afterwards as a quick method. Makes sense to me, the only reason you would have to leave it disconnected for 24 hours would be if something is storing energy and decaying over that period of time, like a capacitor in the ecu. Pumping the breaks probably drains the charge instantaneously. FWIW, I tried it a couple of hours ago, seemed to work for me.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:48 AM
MustGoFastR

Are there any negatives to resetting the ECU?
Yup, you're gas milage will suck for a while, but it'll come back after a tank or so.

I just let my car adjust normally after I mod, but I think I'll go reset it now, since I just put pullies on it (also have intake, plenum and exhaust, so it couldn't hurt).
Old 04-02-2006, 12:09 PM
jwales

How do you know if you did it/timed it right?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:15 PM
MustGoFastR

If you do it right, the MIL will blink after the first 10 sec pedal hold (using the Technosquare method), then blink faster after the >10 sec pedal hold, then back to slow blinking.

I just reset mine earlier today and car seems livelier. Was running rich, getting soot on the exhaust tips, but not after I reset it. We'll see how long it takes to readjust.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:26 PM
jwales

I think I did it - Had the light blinking and all. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet but will give it a try later tonight.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:31 PM
JhayRCruz

i had my idle bumped up to 900rpm from the dealer after my nismo cams install. If i reset the ecu, will the rpm drop down to stock? or will it stay the same? I dont want to have to go back to the dealer and have them raise the idle again thas y.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM
jwales

Well I just took it around the block and on a few straight line acceleration runs and it definitely feels smoother and stronger. It may be completely my imagination but I don't think so. With the babying it has gotten over the last few months and the PopCharger install, the ECU reset was absolutely a good idea. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:05 AM
billly

hmm I didn't reset after I put on the plenuma couple of weeks ago, and 3 weeks after that I threw on test pipes and a clutch and flywheel. Should I reset.
Also In all honesty I hit WOT Every time I drive it. Does this really help keep my comp from negating my mods? I swear My car feels different everyonce in a while, Its just not always consistent

I have a Cai, pulleys, Plenum, test pipes clutch & flywheel and Borla TD
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
MustGoFastR

Reset is not mandatory after mods; the computer will adjust over time on it's own. Biggest benefit is seen when you've been babying the car for a while and it doesn't feel like all the performance it once had is there; the ECU adapts to your driving style and for economy. If you constantly drive it hard, this should not happen and it'll stay crisp.

Quick Reply: Resetting the ECU did something!