Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

What 3.9 final drive gears to go for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:08 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dildorado
How long is the installation? Will the staff at my dealership notice it if they go play under my car?
It takes approximately 4 to 5 hours if you just replace the ring and pinion. I kept the stock LSD. My installer charged $400 for the installation plus the gear oil.

If you replace the LSD it can take longer unless you get a package that includes the ring and pinion and LSD already put together.

You won't be able to see any difference under the car.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ZPirate
It takes approximately 4 to 5 hours if you just replace the ring and pinion. I kept the stock LSD. My installer charged $400 for the installation plus the gear oil.

If you replace the LSD it can take longer unless you get a package that includes the ring and pinion and LSD already put together.

You won't be able to see any difference under the car.
have any track numbers with your car? just curious what that kind of N/A setup with gears can do in the quarter.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:02 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by Nexx
have any track numbers with your car? just curious what that kind of N/A setup with gears can do in the quarter.
Nexx,

Sorry but I don't have any quarter mile times. I have never taken the Z to the dragstrip. I prefer road courses.

Quite frankly I am not sure the 3.9 makes that much difference in 0-60 or quarter mile times, although I have seen some posts that it does shave a tenth or two. First gear is even shorter than stock with the 3.9. Where the 3.9 shines is accelerating out of a corner or accelerating from a roll.

The 3.9 was my last major mod. Before I got it my car pulled hard with my NA mods. I was surprised how much harder it pulled after I got the 3.9. A friend of mine got his 3.9 before me. His car has only an intake and lowering springs in addition to the 3.9. When I first rode with him his car felt almost as quick as mine with all my NA mods, but without the 3.9. Not anymore.

Last edited by ZPirate; 06-06-2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56 AM
350Vic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand this is my second post due to my time involved with reading mainly, but i believe this tread needs to be a sticky do to all the extremely useful information it provides about drivetrain in general. Does anybody else agree? Vic
Old 06-06-2006, 01:50 PM
New2350

So what would be the best setup for a Vortech? 3.9 final gear and a different limited slip seeing that people think the stock one is junk? Do you really have to drop the pumpkin to do this? What are the good brands out there? Subscribing
Old 06-06-2006, 05:25 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have to drop the pumpkin and disassemble it. The ring gear surrounds the LSD, inside the pumpkin. No way around it.

Choose whatever LSD suits your purposes best that is compatible with a stock 3.5 ring gear to replace your differential. Quaife, ATS Carbon, Kaaz, Nismo, etc...

Last edited by helldorado; 06-06-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:35 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by New2350
So what would be the best setup for a Vortech? 3.9 final gear and a different limited slip seeing that people think the stock one is junk? Do you really have to drop the pumpkin to do this? What are the good brands out there? Subscribing
Generally a 3.9 ring and pinion is not the best set up for FI. It works better for NA applications. I would think you would want to stay with the stock ring and pinion if you go FI because the gearing will make the car even harder to launch and drive in the lower gears.

As for the LSD it depends on how you use the car. The stock LSD is fine for most street applications. For the track there are several brands out there including the Nismo, Quaife etc.... As with any mods there are tradeoffs with aftermarket LSDs.

Last edited by ZPirate; 06-07-2006 at 04:47 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:07 AM
alininger2001

For FI applications some people like to use the 3.5 ring and pinion from the automatic.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by alininger2001
For FI applications some people like to use the 3.5 ring and pinion from the automatic.
Isn't the auto a 3.3 ring and pinion? The OEM 6 speed is a 3.55. But you are correct in that some with FI have gone with the auto's ring and pinion. It seems the more power one has the more likely that would be the case.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:24 AM
2 low Z

Sorry for the noob question. I'm assuming your speedometer will be off if you change the gear ratio?
Old 06-07-2006, 08:41 AM
PL510_Z33

Exclamation

Originally Posted by William@Altered
yes you would need to drop the pumpkin in order to do this -

for the record we are the shop that is doing Helldorado'sfinal drive -

He decided to go with the Quaife as it's much better quality over the Nismo LSD

Now...wait a minute...Quaife's diff is a great route, and no doubt VERY high quality, but I think that the choice to go Quaife is because it is a VERY different diff, and this is almost apples+oranges(?)...
I am in the market for a new LSD in BOTH of my cars, and a road racer friend actually tried to steer me AWAY from a quaife or similar Torsen type diff. They behave quite differently. Some prefer the break-away characteristics of a more conventional clutch-type like the Nismo. I however was interested in the longevity of a Quaife or Torsen diff especially when compared to the fall way performance of a VLSD with stickys!

Comments?
j!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 AM
ZPirate

Originally Posted by 2 low Z
Sorry for the noob question. I'm assuming your speedometer will be off if you change the gear ratio?
No your speedometer will not be off by changing out the gears. In the 350Z speed sensors don't have anything to do with the gears. I believe speed is measured through the ABS system in the 350Z.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Nowell
National Z Club

Lets not forget, while the 3.9 is definatly a great mod, when combined with the lightened drive train combo it really shines (ie tilton combo, UD pully sets, drive shaft if our wasn't already so kick ***, etc).
Old 06-07-2006, 11:37 AM
helldorado

Isn't the auto a 3.3 ring and pinion? The OEM 6 speed is a 3.55. But you are correct in that some with FI have gone with the auto's ring and pinion. It seems the more power one has the more likely that would be the case.
Yes, 5AT uses a 3.357, 6MT uses 3.538 gear ratios. The decision is mainly stemmed from a desire for better launch control with the high torque engines. My qualms about that is it reduces power output in all gears. You can spend more time in gear, but its in effect, a torque reducer, just like doing the shorter gearing is a torque enhancer. The concept goes both ways, just a matter of what you really need.

No your speedometer will not be off by changing out the gears. In the 350Z speed sensors don't have anything to do with the gears. I believe speed is measured through the ABS system in the 350Z.
Yes, wheel speed sensors to be exact. They send the signal into the VDC / TCS / ABS controller which then passes it on to the other systems via the CAN communication.

Originally Posted by PL510_Z33
Now...wait a minute...Quaife's diff is a great route, and no doubt VERY high quality, but I think that the choice to go Quaife is because it is a VERY different diff, and this is almost apples+oranges(?)...
I am in the market for a new LSD in BOTH of my cars, and a road racer friend actually tried to steer me AWAY from a quaife or similar Torsen type diff. They behave quite differently. Some prefer the break-away characteristics of a more conventional clutch-type like the Nismo. I however was interested in the longevity of a Quaife or Torsen diff especially when compared to the fall way performance of a VLSD with stickys!

Comments?
j!
All depends what you want from the car. My car will still be my daily driver, so it'll see much more street time than track. The way in which they operate is inherently different, and each one has their pro's and con's. The only gripe ever leveled at the Quaife is that when you tripod the car and lift a rear wheel off the ground, it functions in a similar manner to an open diff.

I've previously done a pretty exhaustive comparison of the pro's and con's of each and why the Quaife was a better choice for me, albeit, not on this site. Out of respect to the site owners I will not provide a direct link to a competing forum, and because I have an agreement with the owners of the other site, I won't reprint that information here. If you interested though, it has been mentioned by other members already this thread.