Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Carbotech brake pad update #2

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 06:58 PM
MaddMatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbotech brake pad update #2

In case you missed it, we (Carbotech Engineering) have officially released our Bobcat high-performance street brake pad, the latest in ceramic-based braking technology.

As of this week, we have ordered the backing plates to manufacture ALL 350Z brake pads (front and rear of both Track and Base models). Plate shipments usually come in within 2-3 weeks of our order. By the end of the month (March), Carbotech will have everything in stock to manufacture all 350Z brake pads in any of our proprietary compounds.

As always, I'll keep you guys up to date.

Matt
Old 03-07-2003, 04:43 AM
mcclaskz

Do they now have those retention "rings", that clip into the clips at the ends of the calipers? The bobcat is for street, whereas the panther+ is more for track exclusively correct? You guys going to VIR south next month?
Old 03-07-2003, 06:36 AM
MaddMatt

Do they now have those retention "rings"
That will likely depend on whether our supplier sends us the correct part or not.

The bobcat is for street, whereas the panther+ is more for track exclusively correct?
Correct, mostly. Bobcat is definitely better on the street, Panther Plus is better for track use. Panther +, however, can be driven on the street, but due to dust and noise, not many people like it (for street use), so we don't recommend it. Perfect for changing at home, and driving to/from the track on.

You guys going to VIR south next month?
You bet! Can't wait!!
Old 03-07-2003, 08:39 PM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great new, Matt! As we discussed via PM, I tried to get my stock backing plates for my rear brakes today, but the dealership wouldn't let me have them since they were replaced under warranty. Now that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Please let us know when they are ready to ship. Maybe we can place orders a week in advance of shipment timeframe? I definitely need one of those first sets.

Thanks!
brad
Old 03-08-2003, 11:48 AM
mcclaskz

Matt, I have been using those Panther+ on my fronts, around town. I can feel the difference, but as we discussed, they are quite loud. This does not matter to me at the track, but is it worth trying to put anti squeal goo all over the outer pads and shims? I am switching back to my stock pads which I did cover with goo until an autox in New Bern on 4/6 and then VIR on 4/11, at which I will switch back to the Pather+.

Droid- I got an extra set of shims from my local dealer, the whole package for the fronts was ~$25.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:02 PM
MaddMatt

but is it worth trying to put anti squeal goo all over the outer pads and shims?
You can try that, but I don't think it is going to help much. The noise is the nature of the friction material under light line-pressure duty. Years before I started working for Carbotech I used Panthers/P+ and I persoanlly was not a big fan of the noise either on the street. I switched back to normal OE Nissan pads when I wasn't on track. This is what I'd reccomend you do. It really is not hard, once you have the proper tools and have done it once or twice. I can now change tires, pads and rotors in less than 30 minutes with a floor jack and hand tools.

As soon as the materials arrive, I will let you guys know.

Wish me luck at my 1st auto-x of the year tomorrow....

Matt

Last edited by MaddMatt; 03-08-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2003, 05:39 PM
mcclaskz

Just did switch! Good luck, by the way, do you now have Panther+ for the rear or just the Bobcats? Are you going to the autoX in New Bern on 4/6 or Laurinburg?
Old 03-08-2003, 06:42 PM
MaddMatt

I will be at Laurinburg in 2 weeks, but on 4/6 I'll be at CMP with NASA-VA spectating the East Coast Honda Challenge race.

For this autocross, I am using Bobcat up front, and Axxis Ultimate in the rear (cheap, on the shelf, easy for me to grab )