Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 07:57 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ It's all good...no worries
I've had a hair up my **** today for some reason and in a crappy mood. Time change on the west coast, tomorrow is Monday and it's going to rain again is my excuse I guess
Have a good work week all....
Ha..ha...you are just not used to all this rain we are getting....giving you the blues...And what are you belly aching about time change...we got an extra hour of sleep this morning...lol.

Nismospeed4life, We did talk this afternoon, and yes I concur with the advise 06CPV35 originally gave you. Should be OK being .5 grts over filled, anymore (like 1 qrt) then I would be concerned of internal engine damage happening over a period of time.

I always stay nearby (at the garage bay door) at the dealership when they are draining the oil and I always check it afterwards and before I leave the dealer.

Now about your dipstick and the web based paper ruler from page 1. I just printed the web paper ruler and measured it on a real ruler. It matches, then again, if your printer is out of wack on the dpi or ppi (printer jargon) then the ruler printed would be off as in either expanded as it looks like in your picture, or compressed which would give it a smaller reading than what it is actually. Short story: go buy a real ruler from Office Depot or Staples for 59 cents. I also just now, pulled my dipstick and measured it against the real ruler and the paper and indeed its 24mm from the “L” hash mark to the “H” hash mark. I doubt there are two different dipsticks in the environment for the 350z’s. To prove this I just measured the dipstick from my 05 350z and indeed it is the same as the 06. They both also have stamped near the top of the stick the number AC700. See if yours has the same markings and measures out the same with a REAL ruler.

Btw: When the dealer said you will need a new clunk (tranny) then listen for the tea pot sound, when you start to hear it, its time for a new one. A few I have heard of have had theirs also replaced right after. My guess it was a shoddy install with the new engine that caused the tranny to go out soon after. No biggee, it’s under warranty and you will now have NEW, almost everything minus the differential.

Sorry I did not get this posted while you were still online, I had to pull some dipsticks and print and etc, etc. Its gotta be midnight were you are, and its a Sunday, so we all have to go back to work tomorrow.

Cheers
Curtis
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Yeh..you would think Infiniti would treat their high paying customers with a little more on the backside (as in extended warranty).
You would think....but nope. In fact, in all the g35 OC threads I contribute to, never heard the offer of 4K to any Infiniti peeps that were going buy-back to never claim buy-back if took an offer like that. Nissan offered that way back in this thread when Buy-Back was the hot discussion. Infiniti sux .
Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 PM
06CPV35

Ha..ha...you are just not used to all this rain we are getting....giving you the blues...And what are you belly aching about time change...we got an extra hour of sleep this morning...lol.

Cheers
Curtis
I woke up same bio clock-time, no extra hour for this cranky old man. And it got dark real early...hate when it's like that. Yes...I hate rain. In the past, physically worked in it for 15yrs. Rain has made me bitter and annoyed b/c of that lol. Rant over and going to my corner now for a time out...
Old 11-03-2008, 03:31 AM
antennahead

Yup...confirmed from a professional tribologist (oil guy), and from Resolute (Will) that these engines are taking longer to break-in than the DE series. Mine is coming up to 15k and Will indicated that this used oil analysis MAY finally show the engine settling in (rings and pistons seating) for longevity. Keep in mind that mine is doing so well because I am getting tuning advice from Dysonanalysis. There’s other stuff being done to the tune to help with the break-in and the fact I am have the oil analyzed and making adjustments to the oil type, air filtration amongst other things.

On the flip side 06CPV35 has had faster results with his break-in than mine, again with the correct oil and break-in procedures that he and I have mentioned here many times.

It’s working for us, so you may want to invest in a little $$ and have a UOA (used oil analysis) done and get tuning advice from Terry Dyson of dysonanalysis.

Thanks for sharing, hope I am quieting down finally. Just curious, can you share what kind of tuning advice you're getting?

John
Old 11-03-2008, 12:32 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by antennahead
Thanks for sharing, hope I am quieting down finally. Just curious, can you share what kind of tuning advice you're getting?

John
Think it's safe to speak for ZeeForce on this. He as well as I have mentioned it countless times. UOA's are you friend
www.dysonanalysis.com
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
06dieselZ

Btw: When the dealer said you will need a new clunk (tranny) then listen for the tea pot sound, when you start to hear it, its time for a new one. A few I have heard of have had theirs also replaced right after. My guess it was a shoddy install with the new engine that caused the tranny to go out soon after. No biggee, it’s under warranty and you will now have NEW, almost everything minus the differential.

Cheers
Curtis
What is the tea pot sound? My tranny whines on deceleration is this normal?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Nismospeed4life

Nismospeed4life, We did talk this afternoon, and yes I concur with the advise 06CPV35 originally gave you. Should be OK being .5 grts over filled, anymore (like 1 qrt) then I would be concerned of internal engine damage happening over a period of time.

I always stay nearby (at the garage bay door) at the dealership when they are draining the oil and I always check it afterwards and before I leave the dealer.

Now about your dipstick and the web based paper ruler from page 1. I just printed the web paper ruler and measured it on a real ruler. It matches, then again, if your printer is out of wack on the dpi or ppi (printer jargon) then the ruler printed would be off as in either expanded as it looks like in your picture, or compressed which would give it a smaller reading than what it is actually. Short story: go buy a real ruler from Office Depot or Staples for 59 cents. I also just now, pulled my dipstick and measured it against the real ruler and the paper and indeed its 24mm from the “L” hash mark to the “H” hash mark. I doubt there are two different dipsticks in the environment for the 350z’s. To prove this I just measured the dipstick from my 05 350z and indeed it is the same as the 06. They both also have stamped near the top of the stick the number AC700. See if yours has the same markings and measures out the same with a REAL ruler.

Sorry I did not get this posted while you were still online, I had to pull some dipsticks and print and etc, etc. Its gotta be midnight were you are, and its a Sunday, so we all have to go back to work tomorrow.

Cheers
Curtis
ZeeForce,

I think you may be right about the ruler. I am sure the printers DPI had something to do with that. I cant say this enough, I am so thankful for people like Resolute, 06CPV35 and yourself for providing great sound advice to other fellow Z & G enthusiats. I do greatly apreciate you guys time and efforts in answering all our questions without ever making anyone on here sound like they are dumb. Thanks again.

Last edited by Nismospeed4life; 11-03-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:19 PM
usmanasif

FINALLY! Mine is at the dealership getting a new engine right now. Dropped off today and will pick up tomorrow. Their only GT-R tech is the one doing the work.

FWIW, during the consumption test, mine burned 25+ mm; or almost 3 times above the "OK" mark per the TSB. Dealership made no excuses and ordered an engine ASAP.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:40 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by usmanasif
FINALLY! Mine is at the dealership getting a new engine right now. Dropped off today and will pick up tomorrow. Their only GT-R tech is the one doing the work.

FWIW, during the consumption test, mine burned 25+ mm; or almost 3 times above the "OK" mark per the TSB. Dealership made no excuses and ordered an engine ASAP.
It took them 7 days to finish mine and the Master Tech that work on my car already did like 12 of this swaps. I'll doubt that they will have it done in a day.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Nismo1182

My tech did my first V2 swap in a day. He's done more than 15 also.

Ive personally seen him remove and put back a Z 6spd tranny in less than 20 minutes, ready to drive. (throw out bearing TSB)
Old 11-05-2008, 08:18 AM
06CPV35

Mine was a day in a half with all the QC checks and such after swap completed. Two Master Techs worked on mine I was told.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
It took them 7 days to finish mine and the Master Tech that work on my car already did like 12 of this swaps. I'll doubt that they will have it done in a day.
If he really worked on just yours the whole time, I feel for the dealership that employs him! Unless of course there were unseen issues that kept coming up but 7 days are still way too many.

I called my service advisor today to have the tech take a look at my clutch pedal (makes a ticking sound) and also lower the clutch engagement point while the car is there. It will now be ready tomorrow by lunch.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Mkriebs

Well, I go in for an oil change today, and to see what the OC was this time around. I have been checking it, and I can never get a good reading because the way the stupid dip stick is designed. It always looks full... which would be amazing if it was, but I am sure it is not.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM
usmanasif

Originally Posted by Mkriebs
Well, I go in for an oil change today, and to see what the OC was this time around. I have been checking it, and I can never get a good reading because the way the stupid dip stick is designed. It always looks full... which would be amazing if it was, but I am sure it is not.
Yes, Z33 has one of worst dipstick designs ever but as long as you park it overnight (or all day) on a perfectly flat surface, you should be able to get a good reading. It just needs time for every single drop to drain back into the oil pan.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:58 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by antennahead

John
Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Think it's safe to speak for ZeeForce on this. He as well as I have mentioned it countless times. UOA's are you friend
www.dysonanalysis.com
^ Correct…a few posts back I gave out an enormous amount info by collecting all my UOA’s and Resolute’ commentaries. Worth the reading. As far as additional tuning from Terry Dyson, I also gave out the oil brand and weight I am using (it will vary among different driving habits and regional location within the USA) and the type of air filter I am using. As far as any more tuning advise, I am sorry but I respect Terry’ wish to keep his proprietary tuning advise confidential. It’s what is keeping his business going. I pay what some would consider a hefty amount for his tuning advice (60.00) although it’s worth every penny. If I give out his advice, he would be out of business on the consumer side in no time. My apologies, but we all have to pay for information at some point.

We have a gentleman’s agreement. 06CPV35 can contest to this as his also getting advice from Terry.

ZeeForce,

I think you may be right about the ruler. I am sure the printers DPI had something to do with that. I cant say this enough, I am so thankful for people like Resolute, 06CPV35 and yourself for providing great sound advice to other fellow Z & G enthusiasts. I do greatly appreciate you guys time and efforts in answering all our questions without ever making anyone on here sound like they are dumb. Thanks again.
Thanks for the kind words, hopefully that was the case.

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ
I cannot honestly say what the “tea pot sound is” as I have never experienced it. Although I have heard of some here and on other forums have the same problem after an engine swap, and this is the phrase that they have coined the sound. It’s under warranty, have it checked out by the dealer,

Cheers
Curtis
Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by 06dieselZ

I cannot honestly say what the “tea pot sound is” as I have never experienced it. Although I have heard of some here and on other forums have the same problem after an engine swap, and this is the phrase that they have coined the sound. It’s under warranty, have it checked out by the dealer,

Cheers
Curtis
Mine has always whined even before swap and has gotten no worse than when new, but not really on decel more so on accel. Almost sounds like a very faint SC sound. If this is a new very apparent sound since swap, then I would have it checked out like ZeeForced said. Tranny alignment could be off and the input and/or output shaft bearings are starting to tell you something.

....respect Terry’ wish to keep his proprietary tuning advise confidential. It’s what is keeping his business going. I pay what some would consider a hefty amount for his tuning advice (60.00) although it’s worth every penny. If I give out his advice, he would be out of business on the consumer side in no time. My apologies, but we all have to pay for information at some point.

We have a gentleman’s agreement. 06CPV35 can contest to this as his also getting advice from Terry.
Well said and very true
Old 11-07-2008, 07:28 AM
myzride

Hello, this is the first time I've replied to anything I've read but I have found the reading to be very interesting. I just got my 2006 350z back yesterday from the dealer after the first and hopefully last engine replacement. I have a couple of questions,

1) I was told by the dealer to drive the car like you would any new car for the break in period. I was reading about someone who stated they were starting the dreadful and painstaking break in period....are there things that should be done that the dealer isn' saying?

2) I was reading on the Mobil 1 website that the new Niaasn GT R will come from the factory with Mobil 1. I had used it in my Z prior to the new engine so I bought 5 qts and told the dealer to put it in when they fill the new engine. When I picked the car up they said Nissan recomends regular 5w 30 and didn't put the Mobil 1 in. The service mgr had told me when I had asked about putting Mobil 1 in that he was not keen on it. What do you think?

I want to give this new engine every chance I can to not burn oil and I don't feel I'm getting enough info from the dealer since they told me I was the first replacement they did and had never heard about this problem til I showed up.

Any information you can give will be appreciated..........Thanks

Last edited by myzride; 11-07-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 11-07-2008, 07:45 AM
06CPV35

ZeeForce,

I think you may be right about the ruler. I am sure the printers DPI had something to do with that. I cant say this enough, I am so thankful for people like Resolute, 06CPV35 and yourself for providing great sound advice to other fellow Z & G enthusiats. I do greatly apreciate you guys time and efforts in answering all our questions without ever making anyone on here sound like they are dumb. Thanks again.
Makes sense the printer not printing 100% accurate in mm size. ZeeForce wins a bag of cookies for that call.

No question is ever dumb in my book. I've had many myself on other Z/G topics.
Learned a lot on forums and with personal experience before/during/after. Spread the love (to an allowable point ) to other enthusiast's with the same passion, I say.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
My tech did my first V2 swap in a day. He's done more than 15 also.

Ive personally seen him remove and put back a Z 6spd tranny in less than 20 minutes, ready to drive. (throw out bearing TSB)
Are you saying that there's a TSB on the Transmition as well? If yes, where can I find it. Heck, I'll get that done too.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Nismospeed4life

[QUOTE=06dieselZ;6509555]What is the tea pot sound? My tranny whines on deceleration is this normal?[/QUOTE

That's funny, I heard the tea pot sound today and I thought about ZeeForce. lol. Your tranny na be on its way out.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion