Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dbasal, ouch on the FL lemon law mileage calculation. I wonder how much you would have received if the lawyer sued them for fraud? They knew when they sold us the cars that they were defective, and did not tell us. I guess CA has one good thing going, and it’s surely not the housing market. Vehicle replacement still looks like the best route, if someone wanted to stay with the Z. It’s good to know I have more than one option, and the lawyer route tends to net more in the pocket. It may depend on the state you live in; Florida definitely nets more with a lawyer. 9kFever also netted some pocket change with a lawyer in CA.

potophan01, thanks a bunch for the calculations. I am really sitting good from those numbers. Especially hearing the part about, making up for the down payment. Now that's very encouraging! Thanks again. Right now I am still testing the new engine, so far so good. I figure whenever, if it comes down to it that I will pretty much have a free lease on the car, if and when I go BB or replacement. Humm..drive around with it, until the 2010 model come out, that is if any major changes in hp and weight happen.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
potophan01

Time to update the stats list on page 1 to show the rest of us "no good" folk.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
ZeeForce

Default V2 - Used Oil Analysis, engine condition during break-in, synthetic oil and more.

My goal here is to share some data on how these new V2 engines are doing for oil consumption, engine wear during break-in, and determining if Nissan’ remedy for the oil consumption, is a success, failure, or just a crap shoot. This is the first of an ongoing series of used oil analysis (UOA) reports. There is at this time, nothing in stone to answer the big question – does it fix the issue. Only time, mileage and the continued efforts made here, by enthusiasts will tell. Hopefully this will spark some interest and members will want to have their oil analyzed. Finding the answers are within us, as a community. John (06CPV35) has been putting the final touches on the Break-In Stats, and he hopes to have it out soon. It should make for an interesting comparison.

Recently I had a sample of used oil, from my V2 engine sent out to a lab to be analyzed by a very good tribologist. The raw data from the used oil analysis (UOA) is posted here with commentary by Will (Resolute). Will has a thread on oil chemistry and makes commentaries on submitted UOA’s by members. There is also much information to be acquired, if you are interested in learning about the best lubricants for the VQ. His knowledge and expertise is right up with the best in the industry. To prove my point, I asked Will to look at the raw data from the report and make an analysis; the results were right on the mark with that of the commentary and analysis from a well renowned tribologist. There is no doubt in my mind that Will knows oil, and the condition of an engine, just by looking at a UOA report.

The information Will has provided on my used oil analysis (UOA) is valuable and answers a lot of questions I had on:

What is the current engine condition, during break-in?
When is the break-in period, finished?
When to start using synthetic oil?
When to change the initial oil on a new engine?

What type of comparisons can be performed, to see if V2’s are a success, a failure, or just a crap shoot? - This was discussed offline in an em.

It was suggested that comparing the UOA results from an original engine (V1) to one of the new engines (V2) would provide some interesting results. If the same oil is used and the oil change intervals are roughly at the same time, it would make for a good comparison.

The same would also apply for two new V2’s, where if both engines use the same oil, and change the oil at the same time (mileage) and this is done during the same time period, then the comparisons would be worth looking at. For example: If both new V2 engines change out their same type of oil at 800 miles, and then change it again at 3755 miles, send it in for a UOA, both UOA’s might have the same results. That would indicate that both engines break in the same, and if one of them does not break in well, then the other would probably not break in well, either. If both break-in well, then it would be fair enough to say they are a success. If one breaks-in well and the other has different results on the UOA, then we could say that each V2 engine is a crap shoot for which breaks in and which don’t. If we follow the same oil change intervals and using the same oil adds some control to the UOA results, since it’s not the oil differences we care about, but the engine condition.

Some stats on the engine, for the current UOA:

Oil consumption during the oil change interval: 10 mm
Amount of oil added during oil change interval: Zero
Miles on engine before initial oil drain: 800 miles
Miles on sample test for UOA: 3577 miles
Total miles on freshly built engine (V2): 4380 miles
Oil used: dino Castrol GTX 5W-30

Mods: Nismo CAI, Nismo Cat-Back exhaust.

The Used Oil Analysis and commentary on the condition of the engine, by Will (Resolute) can be found here:
Note: Will’s reference in the commentary to “Fe” is Iron.

The discussion goes on to post 429, and then picks up again at post 434 and finishes off at post 441.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....15#post5386315

At the request of Will (Resolute) regarding questions:
Any questions about UOA’s, should be posted on the UOA thread. Will does not check in the other forums or threads very often, therefore he would more likely to respond, to a UOA question, if posted in that sticky.

At your service
-Curtis
Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
About time you checked in, did you think you could slip out the side door that easy.

What are you driving?

No abuse on the account and mucho appreciate the access.

Went back to the s2k. Not just any s2k.

Name:  aah.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  90.4 KB
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 PM
ZeeForce

Beautiful...more details plz
Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by potophan01
Time to update the stats list on page 1 to show the rest of us "no good" folk.
I was holding out until the end of the week to receive any additional pm’s that I had sent out. Therefore I could get a lot more of the “no good” folk on the stats list. No one volunteered to summarize the stats list, any takers out there?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

I was holding out until the end of the week to receive any additional pm’s that I had sent out. Therefore I could get a lot more of the “no good” folk on the stats list. No one volunteered to summarize the stats list, any takers out there?
i keep forgetting to check my dip stick after i come home. i currently have like 800 miles on the new engine. i try to remember but i think its too early to tell on my car if it has OC again
Old 03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by 9kFever
Went back to the s2k. Not just any s2k.

ballin...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
9kFever

Beautiful...more details plz
35k miles on car. 7k miles on all the performance mods all of which installed by Honda and still under 7 year/100,000 warranty (expires Oct. 09)

ACT Clutch
ACT Pressure Plate
Comptech Flywheel
Comptech Reinforced Diff with 4.57 Cryo Treated Gears
Denso IK-24 Plugs
3" J's Racing Prototype Single Exhaust
Spugen Wilwood BIG Brake Kit
Tech2 Front Mount Radiator
Vortech Supercharger (Polished)

Other Mods:

60MM Defi Boost and Oil Pressure Gauge
ARC Ti Cooler Plate
Voodoo Countersunk Shift **** (Textured Black)
Coastal Metals Bumper Protector
Coastal Metals Door Protectors
Comptech STB Power Coated Vortech Blue
Cusco 3 Piece Reinforcement Bars
EDM Chromed Headlights
Full RM Racing Billet Engine Kit
Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
JDM Side Markers
Keyhole plugs - painted body color
Koyo Radiator
K&N Filter / Blue Pre Filter
Mugen Thermostat
Mugen Thermoswitch
MUZ Convex Mirror
MUZ Leather Saddlebag
MUZ Premium Floor mats
MUZ Window Protector
Valentine V1 w/ Concealed Display
Philips Silvervision Bulbs
Powder Coated Valve Cover
Spoon X Brace
Stonguard
S2000 brushed aluminum airbag sticker covers
SS braided brake lines X 4
Tein Hood Dampers

Audio:

Apple iPod
Clarion 835MP Head Unit
JL Audio 300/4 amp
JL Audio Stealthbox
Lucid Automotive DCI
MB Quart 218.61q separates
Sirius Satellite Radio

Last edited by 9kFever; 03-31-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:31 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by myZter
ballin...
More like the previous owner was....his loss my gain. Cool guy, had his first kid and bought an Evo X.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:59 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ That S2K the same one you were looking at awhile back that was out of state?

She's a beaut. Congrats.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:04 AM
06CPV35

Good stuff Curtis on UOA. My UOA showed interesting facts as you already know.
Hopefully members will realize the importance of what an UOA can disclose and what corrective actions can be utilized if showing signs of issues.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-25-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added importance of UOA testing
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 AM
SpeedGeek

So on my stock rev-up I'm almost a quart down after only 500 miles. This is not a V2. This is after a dealer oil change, going to bring it in tomorrow to have them document it. Uhg... Think I have a good case for a v2?

Old 04-01-2008, 12:00 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
So on my stock rev-up I'm almost a quart down after only 500 miles. This is not a V2. This is after a dealer oil change, going to bring it in tomorrow to have them document it. Uhg... Think I have a good case for a v2?
Certainly. They want to wait until 1000 miles now, but at 8 mm after 1000 miles, they are supposed to replace the motor. By the way, I personally believe 18 mm is more than 0.75 quarts, more like 1.3 quarts. No matter, I'd take it in ASAP.

Don't let them tell you to start an OC test. The fact that Nissan changed the oil is enough for that to start an OC test (TSB NTB08-088b, page 6, line 14 to be exact) and your motor has already failed OC when they see 18mm low.

Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:05 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox
Certainly. They want to wait until 1000 miles now, but at 8 mm after 1000 miles, they are supposed to replace the motor. By the way, I personally believe 18 mm is more than 0.75 quarts, more like 1.3 quarts. No matter, I'd take it in ASAP.

Don't let them tell you to start an OC test. The fact that Nissan changed the oil is enough for that to start an OC test (TSB NTB08-088b, page 6, line 14 to be exact) and your motor has already failed OC when they see 18mm low.

Good Luck.
+1 on all that. One thing where he may run into issues is if his dealer is one that "seals" the engine by marking it to show that there was no tampering.

Also, in my opinion, this also gives the dealer a chance to overfill it and make it seem like your issue is not as bad as you claim. Sorry I have to bring that up, but my first dealer was very unethical in the service department. The key is to hang over them like a bad micro-managing boss. Check every single thing they do and make them prove that it is properly filled.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Spoiled Z

I might be the next one to get a new motor. I did my last oil change 2 weeks ago and after 4k miles I lost about 1 1/2 quarts, based from the chart someone posted earlier thats way more than 24mm. So I decided to call NNA and they're aware of it and I took it to nissan for an oil change. They want me to come back after 1000 miles and so on. We will see what happens.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 PM
SpeedGeek

Thanks guys, I made an apt w/ the dealer. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM
06CPV35

oops...double post...server slow

Last edited by 06CPV35; 04-01-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by dbasal

Also, in my opinion, this also gives the dealer a chance to overfill it and make it seem like your issue is not as bad as you claim. Sorry I have to bring that up, but my first dealer was very unethical in the service department. The key is to hang over them like a bad micro-managing boss. Check every single thing they do and make them prove that it is properly filled.
Very true and victim of what you just stated. Then at another dealer who took over my testing, filled it back to full (I was ~8mm+ down before I left to dealer for 1100mi test check) then said I was at full when they checked level concerning OC test. Got played big time. Requested OC test to continue. I officially don't trust any dealer as far as I can throw them now. My G will never leave my sight next time it goes in. My current situation in a nutshell in fighting for replacement over 2+ years even with current TSB release
Old 04-01-2008, 06:09 PM
JDM Sam

So this is why there are a ton of 2006 m/t models on the used car market!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion