Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:07 AM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, it's up to the arbitrator. Everything I've read and researched shows that I should come out with an 07.. but we'll see. The worst part is that I don't even get the decision next Friday. I have to wait on the mail.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:36 PM
ZPHILE

Default My latest story from the dealer on the consumption issue

Went to pick up some ordered parts at the dealer here in So. Cal. (scratched up my dummy switch during radio install) and wanted to see what's going on with the consumption issue per Nissan Service. Stuck my head in and asked the service manager what's up and how I'm tired of the issue (i.e. - give me a status on the fix for this...) Here's what he said (paraphrased) -"the issue is that during a down shift high pressure in the engine case causes oil to leave via the PCV valve (?). The reprogram will leave the throttle open so that pressure is relieved but no performance issues will be caused by this." Note: trying to reconvey what was said. Probably not 100% successful. However, it sounded O.K. at the time (sort of). Also was told this fix will be coming by end of the year. How are problem cars/people to be contacted? Through Nissan database and DMV's (basically a recall). Let me know if any of the above makes sense.....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:43 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Went to pick up some ordered parts at the dealer here in So. Cal. (scratched up my dummy switch during radio install) and wanted to see what's going on with the consumption issue per Nissan Service. Stuck my head in and asked the service manager what's up and how I'm tired of the issue (i.e. - give me a status on the fix for this...) Here's what he said (paraphrased) -"the issue is that during a down shift high pressure in the engine case causes oil to leave via the PCV valve (?). The reprogram will leave the throttle open so that pressure is relieved but no performance issues will be caused by this." Note: trying to reconvey what was said. Probably not 100% successful. However, it sounded O.K. at the time (sort of). Also was told this fix will be coming by end of the year. How are problem cars/people to be contacted? Through Nissan database and DMV's (basically a recall). Let me know if any of the above makes sense.....

"this fix will be coming by end of the year"

End of the year? They better do better than that!!!

John
Old 04-20-2007, 08:44 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by aren21
500 miles so far, a mix of hard driving and normal driving and it hasnt burned a drop. Im clueless.
You don't have a 'changed out' engine, do you???
Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 PM
turbotoy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds better than the cam theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 05:54 AM
bofa

That's the answer my dealership was giving me back in November... lol (PCV issue... fix end of year). This guy sounds like he's still back in Nov. I have to wonder if his info is just seriously outdated. My official response from Nissan on the final repair attempt last month was to replace the engine with a hand-built engine. Eh, who knows anymore... maybe I'll get the truth out of them this Friday.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:01 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by bofa
That's the answer my dealership was giving me back in November... lol (PCV issue... fix end of year). This guy sounds like he's still back in Nov. I have to wonder if his info is just seriously outdated. My official response from Nissan on the final repair attempt last month was to replace the engine with a hand-built engine. Eh, who knows anymore... maybe I'll get the truth out of them this Friday.
I sincerely hope they give you the truth, as I know you will share your findings with us. Thanks for all the hard work on this issue!

John
Old 04-21-2007, 08:43 AM
arejohn

I heard Microsoft has a big automobile programing group. I wonder if Nissan is a customer.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:41 PM
dbasal

All these delays make you wonder if Nissan has any clue.

I'm guessing that whatever the problem truly is, Nissan has not found a way to address it without significant performance degradation.

I'll see what BS they try to lay on me this coming Friday. That is my appointment for the final "repair attempt" for this issue.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:03 PM
bofa

Sweet... I'm in arbitration and you're dropping it off. They will probably call you by the end of the day and tell you to pick it up, that there' no fix yet like they did to me.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:52 PM
dbasal

Sweet... I'm in arbitration and you're dropping it off. They will probably call you by the end of the day and tell you to pick it up, that there' no fix yet like they did to me.
Yeah. I'm looking forward to see if there is any new information on this, not like it will make any difference at this point. I'm not waiting any longer for a fix to come out.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 AM
turbotoy

Default Starting my process

That's why I encourage all of you to press the lemon law issue. It costs you nothing butvisits to the dealership. You can get attorneys that will do the hard work for free.
I started the process for my '06 on Wednesday. They sent me some paperwork to fill out. Faxed it to them this morning. I am not sure about the outcome because my car was bought from a friend with 9800 miles on it. But I figure it will get the wheels to squeak!!! Also filed a complaint with NNA.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 AM
arejohn

If I have been following this correctly Nissan is attributing this to high intake manifold vacuum sucking oil through the PVC system. Where is this oil being sucked from? Rings? To those that have this issue, do you see any correlation between driving style- downshifting to slow the car- and oil consumption?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM
arejohn

Infinity owners seeing oil issue also.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/239828
Old 04-23-2007, 08:12 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
Infinity owners seeing oil issue also.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/239828
YES my 2005 14 month old 6sp G Coupe blew up do to this!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 08:43 AM
turbotoy

If I have been following this correctly Nissan is attributing this to high intake manifold vacuum sucking oil through the PVC system. Where is this oil being sucked from? Rings? To those that have this issue, do you see any correlation between driving style- downshifting to slow the car- and oil consumption?
All engines have a little blow by (combustion gases blowing past the rings) then into the crank case. The PCV system is designed to take these gases and combust them instead of venting them to the atmosphere per the tree hugers (EPA). As a side note oil vapor makes octane go way down!!! (KNOCK!!!)
Old 04-23-2007, 09:10 AM
dbasal

I have noticed the most loss of oil when I cruise the highway. This Saturday I lost 1/2 qt in 200 miles with 95% on the highway.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Nismo Z

what's the best way to monitor the this situation? any suggestions? i have an 06 and my nismo exhaust always has a layer of black coat on it which means im burning a lot of oil, if this problem continues what should i say when i take it in? thanks guys
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Nismo Z
what's the best way to monitor the this situation? any suggestions? i have an 06 and my nismo exhaust always has a layer of black coat on it which means im burning a lot of oil, if this problem continues what should i say when i take it in? thanks guys
I would certainly not wait.
This is a known problem on the rev-up engine. You should pretty much only have to say that you have an 06 MT that is burning oil. It seems like Nissan has given the notice to dealers.

The dealer should take it from there with oil consumption tests. Just make sure everything is documented and that you agree with what they are writing down. If you do not agree force them to add a note as to what you feel the amount of loss is.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Brice-350z

Originally Posted by Nismo Z

Black soot on the inside of the tail pipes doesn't necessarily mean you are burning oil, your car could just be a little rich. Combine a rich fuel mixture with a more wide open exhaust and you will see the soot in the tail pipes. Watch your oil level, not your tail pipes.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion