Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 AM
ZPimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoJ
That will increase oil consumption on any engine.
Wrong - My '94 Pathfinder which has 200,000 miles nor on my '05 Murano burn a drop of oil between changes or have soot tail pipes. The '06 350z A/T doesn't either.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-02-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZPimp
There was a Nissan Tech on the other forum who said what I believe may be the reason: unequal cylinder wall heat distribution.

He said Japan told them this is due to the rev up (on '06 MT models) having high compression heads - that's the only design change which gives this model more HP. Tests show the top of the cylinder where the heads are produce too much heat for the aluminum engine. The top portion of the aluminum cylinder walls are expanding due to the heat of higher compression heads - but unequally expanding so the lowere portion of the cylinder is much cooler. This causes oil to blow by the rings and into the combustion chamber hence blowby and why you see soot in the tail pipes.
I have heard of this theory too. Still doesn't explain why some are bad and some are not. Though I've heard more than once something about #2 and #4 cylinders on some of the bad ones, so there is some creditability to this theory, but disagree it's to the higher compression of the revup.
Unequal heat distribution in the cylinder walls due to the higher compression heads - the only relevant design change in this model explains why you will experience more OC if you drive hard at higher RPMs which really causes the motor to heat up.
It's not the revelent design change btw. Compression is rated the same for revup and non revup VQ35DE, which is at 10.3:1 for both. VQ35HR is 10.6:1 and VQ37VHR at 11.0:1 If you can provide a link to show the difference in compression, I would greatly appreciate that, being to my knowledge there is no difference in the VQ35DE. Thanks.

The lower plenum collector is different compared to the non revup, hence thats where the hp comes from and drop in tq as well compared to the non revup. Valve duration timing is another one.
There's a guy on the other forum who tested this himself - he drove easy low rpm for 200 miles and checked the oil. Then drove in rev up range hard several times where the motor heated up several times for the next 200 miles. There was someting like 3 times the loss of oil in millimeters on the dip when driving hard.

I can't do this b/c my second V2 is not complely broke in but I might test the hypothisis since it is repeatable.
These VQ's are known for high vacuum pull at higher rpm's, hence that's another factor for OC in these and the change in valve duration was to decrease this issue somewhat. Unfortunately hp too from what i've read here. The intake valves were staying open to long and sucking oil through the guides as well as through the PCV system back through into the plenum. Oil catch cans have proved that one on PCV system.

I feel it's a part quality issue still in addition. Have pictures of an oem revup with only 1600mi on it and had serious OC issues. The piston ring landings were discovered broken during disassembly. Will have to re-down load pictures from my source, being they are small and detail is hard to see, but in a nutshell...I conclude that VQ failure to be due to a defective internal part.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 03-03-2008 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:51 AM
ZPimp

I agree with what you're saying. I'm reiterating what this annonymous Nissan Tech who refused to ome forward on the other site for fear of his job. He said it is a heat distribution problem in cylinder walls which can be linked to the different heads in the rev up. I think he said these heads help boost the hp although there are as u pointed out other changed parts that boost hp.

They might as well give us all '07s since they're wasting money on these multiple V2s
Old 03-03-2008, 06:37 AM
RBlover69

There was a Nissan Tech on the other forum who said what I believe may be the reason: unequal cylinder wall heat distribution.

He said Japan told them this is due to the rev up (on '06 MT models) having high compression heads - that's the only design change which gives this model more HP. Tests show the top of the cylinder where the heads are produce too much heat for the aluminum engine. The top portion of the aluminum cylinder walls are expanding due to the heat of higher compression heads - but unequally expanding so the lowere portion of the cylinder is much cooler. This causes oil to blow by the rings and into the combustion chamber hence blowby and why you see soot in the tail pipes.
this is totally believable, also the exhaust cams have been modified aswell. The revup is a 30% percent change from the standard DE. besides the runners being different and the engine being more talored to make power higher in the rpm band.

But yea, oil consumption seems to happen when actually reving the engine at its desired power band lol. Im glad my issues with oil have been solved or else i really wouldve considered a nismo Z.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:41 AM
06CPV35

^ Yes agree about ppl stating breaking news and then only to not respond when confirmation is asked or follow-up. Had a member on Driver state about Infiniti IS working on a V3...blah blah...I asked for more details, never has and hasn't to date updated. I do understand the confidentiality thing as I have similar info I've agreed not to disclose publicly by request of a professional scientist for my issue with my VQ.
Here's those pictures of a OEM revup with 1600mi torn down. Owner said forget Nissan and did non-Nissan build. He reported 8 months later, no OC issues.

Food for thought. Wish we could see a V2 torn down.

^ Aftermarket on left for build; oem on right at 1600 miles

All the landings were cracked or broken.
Pictures courtesy of 'Graphite05G' on Driver

Last edited by 06CPV35; 03-03-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 AM
jason350z

ok guys so i have 800 miles on first engine replace the v2 engine, checked the oild today i'm almost down 1/2 on the dipstick. by 1,000 i will be at half way on the dipstick. v2 for me = failure.
call the dealer told them what was happening they told me to wait let the engine break in for 3-5 thousand miles and that if i wanted to bring the car in they would put more oil in.
dont know what to do now. this sucks man, wanted to trade in for an 08 but i will loss money

Old 03-03-2008, 07:08 AM
accordhybrid

Originally Posted by jason350z
ok guys so i have 800 miles on first engine replace the v2 engine, checked the oild today i'm almost down 1/2 on the dipstick. by 1,000 i will be at half way on the dipstick. v2 for me = failure.
call the dealer told them what was happening they told me to wait let the engine break in for 3-5 thousand miles and that if i wanted to bring the car in they would put more oil in.
dont know what to do now. this sucks man, wanted to trade in for an 08 but i will loss money

Call another dealer, it sounds as though they are trying to by more time because they are aware it could be using oil again. My new V2 is already consuming oil, at 1550 miles I was 13 or 17mm low (i can't remember). In any case I called the dealer and have began another set of consumption tests.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 AM
labelworkshop75

GOD DANM IT. Got the V2, about 1700 miles in and I am almost out of oil. CAN WE GET NEW CARS FOR FREE PLEASE !!!!!!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
E K

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ Yes agree about ppl stating breaking news and then only to not respond when confirmation is asked or follow-up. Had a member on Driver state about Infiniti IS working on a V3...blah blah...I asked for more details, never has and hasn't to date updated. I do understand the confidentiality thing as I have similar info I've agreed not to disclose publicly by request of a professional scientist for my issue with my VQ.
Here's those pictures of a OEM revup with 1600mi torn down. Owner said forget Nissan and did non-Nissan build. He reported 8 months later, no OC issues.
Do you have a link to the thread talking about a possible V3?

My 06 G35 is consuming oil, and it's clearly worse when I rev the car more.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by E K
Do you have a link to the thread talking about a possible V3?

My 06 G35 is consuming oil, and it's clearly worse when I rev the car more.
It was a awhile ago on that particular thread. There's so many on Driver I can't remember which one lol. Same person did mention TSB in the works for Infiniti after 350Z was released. He was right on that one. 1.5 months later, Infiniti released their TSB. I'm subscribed to that thread. When I get notifications, I check them out. No update from that member about a V3, so I conclude it was just an assumption on his part. But if he does chime in with info, I'll pass it on over here

Last edited by 06CPV35; 03-03-2008 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
9kFever

surrendered my vehicle today. They had a third party do the inspection. So could have parted out the brembos! The guy had no clue. Anyone with questions feel free to email me at:

st110530@student.fullerton.edu
Old 03-03-2008, 06:05 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
^ Food for thought. Wish we could see a V2 torn down.
My V2 is on it's way to Japan - it was consuming almost 2 quarts ever 1,000 miles. Service manager was told to tag and ship it without breaking it down. I bet it looks just like this - BLOWBY!

It's an epidemic!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great so... even V2's have the possibility of not being a solution... and I thought things would be moving along with the TSB...
Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by Voboy
great so... even V2's have the possibility of not being a solution... and I thought things would be moving along with the TSB...
No 'possibility' to it - V2s are failing left and right. I wouldn't keep this motor unless they gave me a 200,000 mile warranty. Even then once it starts consuming it will lose the hp and torque not to mention the damage this causes internally not to mention black tail pipes and rear end or topping off the oil between changes 1, 2, or 3 times.

Nissan needs to own up to this as a failure - soon - or there will continue to be unhappy campers suing them worldwide.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-05-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:02 AM
jason350z

No 'possibility' to it - V2s are failing left and right. I wouldn't keep this motor unless they gave me a 200,000 mile warranty. Even then once it starts consuming it will lose the hp and torque not to mention the damage this causes internally not to mention black tail pipes and rear end or topping off the oil between changes 1, 2, or 3 times.

Nissan needs to own up to this as a failure - soon - or there will continue to be unhappy campers suing them worldwide.

did you hear from nissan about a buy back?
i'm wating for them to call me today, they probably wont.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Super Black

I took my car in today to a Nissan dealer to get the results on my 1-k oil consumption test. The results show that my engine is not burning oil. I was disappointed because I thought for sure I had the OC problem. For those of you who are not familiar with my case, one morning my car had an outrageously loud knocking noise (it sounded almost like a blown engine). Since it wasn't drivable I had it towed to the closest dealer. They said they "fixed" it just by adding oil. They put me then on 1-k OC test.

What pissed me off now is they're saying that my engine is fine, it's not burning oil (he dismissed the fact that I had my car towed at my first visit because the ****ing engine was knocking hard). Now, I should be patient and wait for the crappy engine to break again. And I know driving it really "hard" guarantees oil burning.

I'm building my case now. I guess multiple visits to the dealer will work in my favor.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:17 PM
ZPimp

NNA accepted buyback of my car at the sales price. No lawyer in the middle. Here's how the procedure works.

Call NNA and ask for buyback due to the V2 or V1 consumes verified by dealer OC test. They have 30 days to call you back regarding the offer. Just that easy. But get this - when they call you back the first offer they ask you is to accept $4,500 and sign an agreement you won't ask Nissan to buyback. Once I declined this offer he immediately offered complete buyback. He makes it sound as if Nissans response to your buyback request is only to offer the $4,500. Then once you decline it they put another offer up to buy it back. They know you have them by law and they have to be responsive within the 30 days! but they manupulate you in deceptive way to try and get you to think their only offer is $4,500. Doesn't suprise me - do they think we are stupid in Japan or what. the arrogance of corporate Nissan!

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-05-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:31 PM
joe_blow_xbox

ZPimp,

Congratulations! Got a couple of questions.

1. Did you buy the car new or used?
2. Did they charge you anything for the miles you used the car? It sounds like they didn't. According to the California Lemon Law, they can charge you for the miles before you first report the OC issue to them as a fraction of 120000 miles. If they aren't charging for this, that is a big plus!

I don't want to use the Nissan approved arbitration because it is much worse than the California Lemon Law. If NNA is at least using the lemon law rules, then that is better. If they are offering full purchase price back, that is BEST.

Nissan Arbitration = price paid - (miles @arbitration/100000 miles)*price paid
California Lemon Law = price paid - (miles@first time issue reported/120000 miles)*price paid
One thing I can guarantee is that a car isn't worth $0 at 100000 miles

The more I learn, the more it appears Nissan knows the rev-up V1 and V2 are a gamble (at best) not to OC.

Last edited by joe_blow_xbox; 03-05-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
BabyZiLLa

Does anyone know if this Buy Back procedure works for Canadians?

Honestly I'm happy with the $4500. That will pay for m engine build that they can't do.

But I can't even get that out of them.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:27 PM
jason350z

NNA accepted buyback of my car at the sales price. No lawyer in the middle. Here's how the procedure works.

Call NNA and ask for buyback due to the V2 or V1 consumes verified by dealer OC test. They have 30 days to call you back regarding the offer. Just that easy. But get this - when they call you back the first offer they ask you is to accept $4,500 and sign an agreement you won't ask Nissan to buyback. Once I declined this offer he immediately offered complete buyback. He makes it sound as if Nissans response to your buyback request is only to offer the $4,500. Then once you decline it they put another offer up to buy it back. They know you have them by law and they have to be responsive within the 30 days! but they manupulate you in deceptive way to try and get you to think their only offer is $4,500. Doesn't suprise me - do they think we are stupid in Japan or what. the arrogance of corporate Nissan!
they called me today and basically said it was too soon for a buy back, since i have had only one engine replaced about a month ego . but hey its burning oils all ready. they said along with what the dealer said to wait till the engine break in.

how many engines did you have replaced before you called them to get a buy back also how many miles did you have when you call them?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion