Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by king67rsss
is that the oil recommended? The service manager told me that I shouldn't have used synthetic until 11000 miles
Here, educate yourself and elevate your mind.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stats on V2 replacements

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
V2 'installees' update
Known V2 install recipients and their results:

1) Dbasal - maybe not fixed.
2) Theatrix - 1500 mi looks good... is not consuming
3) RBlover - Done w/Break-in. 4k mi…No OC when running Mobil 1 0w-40 synth w/synth oil filter.
4) 4Shizzil - Success! 2k on synth and not a drop, dyno’d at 265-275
5) Zmaximus - still consuming
6) Antennahead -2500 mi – so far so good - still pending
7) Creationv2 - dont know yet...only 100 miles
8) Hexxum001 - G35 with V2 motor - so far so good
9) ZMedic16 - Still Pending
10) ZLOC06 – 1400 mi and some OC - but still pending.
11) ZPHILE - 45mi on V2 - still pending
12) luvZcar -5000 miles and still consuming
13) ZeeForce - 500 miles so far so good - pending break-in
14) jkim1978 - 0.5 qt per 1k mi – still pending

^ Hey guys, is the info current and correct?
If not, please update and repost this list.
Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
ZeeForce

Reg: New V2 and soot on exhaust tips.

There is still soot on the exhaust tips, not liking this at all. There was a theory brought up early in this thread regarding the exhaust and the cats getting clogged with all the oil that was blowing by.

My question: Is there any validity to this theory of oil clogging the cats due to the OC issue? If so I will be pushing NNA to replace my Nismo exhaust or at least clean the cats. Why would I still be getting soot on a new engine? Could it be it’s burning off what was left over from the V1 engine?
Reposting question.

Originally Posted by bremboboy
what causes engine cricket sound?
Errrr…Non technical term for WTF is that sound from the engine bay. Tech term is oil on the belts… in my case.

Originally Posted by luvZcar
..anyone who's engine was eating 1qt per 1k and got it replaced please let me know.Just so you all know I'm on engine #2 ...WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK 1QT EVERY 1K NORMAL????
1-1.3 qt per 1k mi
Not normal at all, you got a V1 for your second engine; does that hold any merit with NNA on getting you a V2? If they drag and push I would start thinking of BBB, as it is strike 2 for NNA on attempted repair, and you have a good case.

Originally Posted by king67rsss
However, according to the NNA rep about 2/3 of these are denied.
What I find very interesting is that if NNA knows there is a problem, why do the dealers not know?
Staggering percentage of denied replacements, a lot are probably accepting the denied replacement. That is why we have a voice here and share the information on this board in hopes of helping others. BBB is the way to force the hand that dupes it’s customers. I would say there has been no bulletin issued to the dealers of the OC or they are playing fat dumb and happy when it’s brought up.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
ZeeForce

Default Revised update on my V2 engine @ 500 miles

500 mi on V2
Oil flushed, reading from dealer - full on the coat hanger. I had a reading of 1/8 low from H on coat hanger. Oh well…

Onboard computer hooked up to ECU for testing the fuel mix, timing, ECU log – results: It pinged once at the start of test drive, every gear (1-4) between 1200-2500 rpm, shifting at 2500 rpm very smooth on acceleration. There after it did not ping anymore. Dunno if he was making adjustments during the test drive or not. I believe he would have told me, he’s been very upfront.. Any who it passed with flying colors. See attached pic. Dunno about B1 104, B2 103, he said it’s very good though, technical jargon. Colder plugs, he said no chance, it’s only for real bad pinging, and I do not have it. Any whoo I am very happy with the results.

Soot on exhaust tips: Still monitoring this one. I did not agree with him that the rev up’s will have more than my other 05 non rev up. Still monitoring this, it’s too soon.

NNA called, reg rep Mike Jackson (throwing this out in case some else gets him) case was reassigned to new regional rep who is Rich Augastin, straight up and listens, that I like. I beafed up NNA and the dealer about replacing my engine, getting ready to drop the hammer on him for the extended warranty 70mo/100k. Found out today that all cases go before a regional board for the decision, it’s not the regional rep that makes the final call on replacement engine. He said he would gather information from the previous regional rep and service mgr, no promises but would take it to the board for a decision. Hey it does not hurt to keep asking in another way!

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-06-engine-analysis_0004.jpg
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Geez Zee, when does it end with this crap. I dont know why we put up with Nissan's crap for this long.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM
luvZcar

[QUOTE=ZeeForce]Reposting question.

)

1-1.3 qt per 1k mi
Not normal at all, you got a V1 for your second engine; does that hold any merit with NNA on getting you a V2? If they drag and push I would start thinking of BBB, as it is strike 2 for NNA on attempted repair, and you have a good case.

yeah I'm sure that is not normal and I did mention I would go the BBB route if needed and yes they should give me a v2 this time ,the manager Tony is a pretty nice guy and after seeing him today he said he really did not want to have to replace this motor so there is hope for me but lets get through the consumption test first and see whats up ,I checked me oil after they set it for the test and its at the H, took pictures with my cell phone in them so you can see the date so theres nodout that its this time......will keep watching it
Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM
E K

If 1 quart consumed per 1000 miles is normal, then there's no way to safely drive the car more than 5000 miles between oil changes. The service manual has schedule I at every 3750 miles, schedule II at 7500 miles.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
^^ Geez Zee, when does it end with this crap. I dont know why we put up with Nissan's crap for this long.
Yeh, I know what you mean, trust me I did not go through half as much crap as a lot of folk here have and still are...
Because most if not all just want the car fixed and it’s like they can read us, then dangle a carrot in front of us getting our hopes up. They know human behavior and are using it to their advantage.

…the manager ….said he really did not want to have to replace this motor so there is hope for me but lets get through the consumption test first and see whats up ....will keep watching it
I understand, and I hope you have some warranty left once it’s all done, or they give you the 70 mo/100k extended warranty. I mean really between the first OC test on the original engine plus the miles racked up on engine #2 (V1 also) It has got to be a few K miles that you will not get back. That has to amount to something as reimbursable in $$ or extended warranty. Pain and suffering is what they call it when you have an accident. Well our cars had an accident on the assembly line and now we are suffering, it’s our time that we are suffering from. There is always a price placed on our time. We should be going after that as well.

GL and keep us posted. We all have to do what we feel is the right thing. I would agree with you, because we all like to have HOPE.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by E K
If 1 quart consumed per 1000 miles is normal, then there's no way to safely drive the car more than 5000 miles between oil changes. The service manual has schedule I at every 3750 miles, schedule II at 7500 miles.
You are correct and it is not normal. There is no spec nor is it written anywhere in the owners manual what is normal oil consumption and it would not stand up in arbitration.

Did the dealer tell you prior to purchasing your car that it may need oil between oil changes?
The answer will always be NO, because you did not get the owners manual until after you have purchased the car. Fact # 1 you were not given the a choice to buy or not to buy the car because the dealer did not inform you of the oil top offs between oil changes.

Did the dealer/NNA inform you of a possible defect (OC issue) on some cars by letter once they realized there was a defect?
That answer will always be NO also. Fact # 2.

They committed FRAUD by knowing of a defect and it does not matter if it is only some of the cars, it is their responsibility as a manufacture to inform by letter to ALL owners of a possible defect on some of the cars.

Tell NNA this, and see what results you get. I am assuming you already have contact with NNA and have a case #. If not then it's a great opener, it's what I did and I am in the testing stages of a V2 engine.

Or go the BBB route, it will force NNA to take action and several here have received new engines because of the BBB.

My engine was replaced when it burned 1 qt + per 1k mi.
Something is not right here with either the dealer or NNA.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM
E K

My car consumes 2 quarts every 1000 miles now, and it's getting worse. The thing is, it's a 5AT G35 coupe (non rev-up), so some people at the dealership are in denial that it can ever happen on a non rev up. However several polls have shown that the non revups can have this issue as well.

I'm still halfway through the second 1000 mile test.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
ZeeForce

True, I also have heard on non rev up engines consuming oil. It may be tougher to deal with NNA and dealer, although be persistant. It is still under warrranty therefore it should not matter if it's a non rev up, if it consumes then it consumes and NNA should replace it.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 PM
ZeeForce

Okay, here is my plan for the soot STILL on the exhaust tips after V2 install.

This Friday I am taking it for a smog test (50.00) this will tell if the exhaust is spitting out too much bad fumes which is building up soot on the exhaust tips. I mentioned this to NNA-Rich Augastin that the car will not need to be smogged for 6 yrs (Calif law I believe) which by then it will be off warranty and then what if it points to the clogged up cats. I am screwed at that point. I am gonna get a new Nismo exhaust replacement. If not the smog test should let me know WTF is causing the tips to soot.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:05 AM
luvZcar

So zeeforce you think at this point going after an extended warranty with the replacement of my engine would be fair ,because I feel as if they owe me somthing too at this point and a new warranty would be nice. I dont think it would be a jerk move to ask for it as it has eatin up alot of my miles 13000+ now
Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Mid117

new motor on order, while my Z is at the dealership.....how long will this take?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:48 PM
pooch15

Originally Posted by Mid117
new motor on order, while my Z is at the dealership.....how long will this take?
Mine was dropped off at the dealer on Monday 8:00 AM and I was driving it home the next day at 5:30 PM.

Can't say much about the new engine yet because I decided to baby it for the first 800 KMs so I'm trying to keep it under 3500 RPM. (I've never spent so much time in sixth gear )

I will be going to the dealer every 1000 KMs for an oil check and will report the results here when available.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
ZeeForce

So zeeforce you think at this point going after an extended warranty with the replacement of my engine would be fair ,because I feel as if they owe me somthing too at this point and a new warranty would be nice. I dont think it would be a jerk move to ask for it as it has eatin up alot of my miles 13000+ now
I would ask now for the ext warr, reason being is time and miles. If they say no, then wait for your OC test to finish, and if they replace engine #2 with the V2, then bring it up again to them and use it as a negotiating item, versus the BBB route and buy back. Plant the seeds, it’s all about timing.

About five days once the order is placed to arrive at the dealer, then 1-1.5 days for the install.

Originally Posted by pooch15
Can't say much about the new engine yet because I decided to baby it for the first 800 KMs so I'm trying to keep it under 3500 RPM. (I've never spent so much time in sixth gear )
I will be going to the dealer every 1000 KMs for an oil check and will report the results here when available.
Congrats! Have you checked the oil level yourself? Some dealers are not topping off the oil that is shipped with the engine from Japan. Add yourself to the list of installed V2 testers. It’s a page or two back. You may want to consider changing the oil somewhere in between the 3.5 k mi oil change interval. I had an oil change at 500 miles, just to get the metal shavings out of the oil that is common with a new engine as it’s breaking in.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM
ZeeForce

Default V2 engine results from Smog Test

Why smog test when Cali does not require it until 2012?
V2 engine still laying down soot on the Nismo exhaust tips after 500 mi. total mileage on car 21499 mi. Oil changed at 500mi (3 days ago).
If there is still oil being pushed out of the engine, then I figured a smog test would show it. Or if no new oil is pushed out of the engine, then it may be the cats are clogged with a lot unburned oil from the previous V1.

Results:
I was informed by the smog test station that a smog test cannot measure if there is oil coming out of the exhaust. With that fact out of the way I still wanted to see if the emissions were going to pass. I explained the situation with the car OC issue, new engine etc. The car PASSED the emissions but FAILED the visual inspection of the Emissions Control System. Basically due to the Nismo cat back exhaust is missing 2 cats per their book, and the CAI failed because it did not have the EO # label on the CAI.
I took it to the dealer (service manager) and showed the report. And now for the truth on the failed smog test. First off the smog station probably has never smogged a 2006 and a visual inspection of the cats, they could not see the first two cats as they up where the exhaust manifold is, therefore they only counted the two they can see. As far as the CAI not having a EO# sticker, by Calif law anything in front of the MAF and behind the 2nd set of cats is fair game for after market parts. So I am OK…

Now for the ASM Emission Test Results: Very clean see attached test report.

Regarding the still persisting build up of soot, the smog station said to have the dealer or NNA replace the cats. I will continue to monitor as with more miles placed on the car it may just need to burn off. Good thing is that if they where that clogged it would have failed the ASM smog test.

This provided me with assurance that the emissions are clean, as far as the soot, we will see later on down the road.

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-06-v2-smog-test_0006.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-06-v2-smog-test_0002.jpg
Old 10-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Mid117

About five days once the order is placed to arrive at the dealer, then 1-1.5 days for the install.
this should be enough time for my Z to hit the 30 day mark, I'll try to lemon it.

No break-in for this motor, I'm beating the ***** off it as soon as I get it.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 AM
IbarraZ33

so the new engine is out..?? my 06 Z has problem with piston rings and oil leaks through.. i talked to Heri at Westco and he said the new engines have not been released yet!? so are they or are they not!?
Old 10-06-2007, 10:16 AM
ZeeForce

this should be enough time for my Z to hit the 30 day mark, I'll try to lemon it.
No break-in for this motor, I'm beating the ***** off it as soon as I get it.
If I understand this correctly, you are letting them replace the engine but then turning around and going to lemon it?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion