Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z-2006
I had my first oil change done at 1,000 miles.
Now I have 3,000 miles on it.
During these 2,000 miles i am down 7/8 - 1 quart low.

I've been off list for a few months and have a lot of reading to catch up on.
My first question is:
1)If my dealer tells me 1/2 gt. low per 1,000 miles is acceptable, do I find another dealer?
2)When should Nissan North America (NNA) be notified?
3)when should BBB Auto line be contacted?

Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Todd Jones
Lincoln, NE.

It is my opinion that at 3,500 miles the most oil I should be down is 1/2 guart.
“…first oil change done at 1,000 miles.”

This is a new car with only 3k miles on it? The rings are still settling during the first 4k miles and you will consume oil. After the 4k mi oil change if you still notice oil consumption (check it every 500 mi) let the dealer know and have them start the OC test.

½ qt per 1k mi = 2qt per oil change, not acceptable, tell him that. See my post about the facts: on the above post.

½ qt per 3.5k mi = I could live with that.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:06 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by luvZcar
I'm on motor number 2….pretty sure its eating 1qt every 1k…. I'm just about to hit the 6000 mile mark on the new motor.
Sorry to hear about the continuing OC. Why wait so long (6k) for requesting motor # 3?....Uhhh I just answered my own question. 4k = rings to settle + 2k = OC test. Makes sense.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:36 PM
E K

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Not good that is about 1.5 qt low, they will probably want two more 1k tests. Start putting the bug in their ear, ask the service mgr if they opened a case up with NNA. If they did not, let him know nicely that you are going to open one up with NNA. Just so it's documented and that NNA is aware of your issue.
Seems like it's consuming more as time goes on. Fortunately I pretty much had all the service done at either the local Infiniti or Nissan dealerships. Hopefully they won't blame my bolt on mods, but if they do, I'll ask them for a written and signed statement on company letter head that on that particular date, with my car still within drivetrain warranty period, that they have documented over 1 qt per 1000 mile oil consumption, and that they will go on record to say that it's NOT a defect in the piston rings despite numerous other G35/350z's with the same issue. I think they're know where I'll go with such a letter.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:51 AM
jkim1978

well here is my update.....
1. 2 qt of oil
2. 1 1/2 qt of oil
3. 1 1/2 qt of oil
4. 4 qt of oil.
changed my engine
5. less than 1/2 qt of oil
6. less than 1/2 qt of oil
this is where i am at...
Old 09-16-2007, 06:46 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by E K
Seems like it's consuming more as time goes on. Fortunately I pretty much had all the service done at either the local Infiniti or Nissan dealerships. Hopefully they won't blame my bolt on mods, but if they do, I'll ask them for a written and signed statement on company letter head that on that particular date, with my car still within drivetrain warranty period, that they have documented over 1 qt per 1000 mile oil consumption, and that they will go on record to say that it's NOT a defect in the piston rings despite numerous other G35/350z's with the same issue. I think they're know where I'll go with such a letter.
I also consumed more as time went on. Some have had problems with their mods and took them off. Others reported having no problems. I did hear that test pipes might be a problem. From what I read here on earlier posts.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by jkim1978
well here is my update.....
1. 2 qt of oil
2. 1 1/2 qt of oil
3. 1 1/2 qt of oil
4. 4 qt of oil.
changed my engine
5. less than 1/2 qt of oil
6. less than 1/2 qt of oil
this is where i am at...
Good news! Thanks, keep us posted.

V2 'installees' update
Known V2 install recipients and their results:

1) Dbasal - maybe not fixed.
2) Theatrix - 1500 mi looks good... is not consuming
3) RBlover - Done w/Break-in. Post syn oil run will be final result.
4) 4Shizzil - appears to be complete success!!!
5) Zmaximus - still consuming
6) Antennahead - still pending
7) Creationv2 - dont know yet...only 100 miles
8) Hexxum001 - G35 with V2 motor - so far so good
9) ZMedic16 - Still Pending
10) ZLOC06 – 1400 mi and some OC - but still pending.
11) ZPHILE - 45mi on V2 - still pending
12) luvZcar -5000 miles and still consuming
13) ZeeForce - 200 miles, pending break-in
14) jkim1978 - 0.5 qt per 1k mi – still pending

^ Hey guys, is the info current and correct?
If not, please update and repost this list.

Thanks

Last edited by ZeeForce; 09-16-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:00 PM
ZeeForce

Update on my V2:

As previously posted, I noticed a cricket sound from the engine bay, took it in and would'nt you know it, no sounds. Service mgr said it could have been oil on the belts that was making the sound and burned off. Good!

As for the feel, I do have to say it feels like more butt dyno torque than the original engine. And it does rev fast, as opposed to previously stating that it felt like it did not rev as fast. That is not true now. The car feels great, checked the coat hanger this morning and it was full.

200 miles and no oil consumption.

So far so good!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
9kFever

Update on my V2:

As previously posted, I noticed a cricket sound from the engine bay, took it in and would'nt you know it, no sounds. Service mgr said it could have been oil on the belts that was making the sound and burned off. Good!

As for the feel, I do have to say it feels like more butt dyno torque than the original engine. And it does rev fast, as opposed to previously stating that it felt like it did not rev as fast. That is not true now. The car feels great, checked the coat hanger this morning and it was full.

So far so good!
little too soon to tell right? I have started consuming oil. New motor has been ordered =(
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by Armitage
What dealer did you go to? Perhaps they will be more lenient with me since they already have a case or two under their belt. My last oil change I'm burning pretty bad, I think more than a qt/1000 miles. Either that, or someone forgot to add the full five quarts of oil!
Sorry for the late response. Have not been around. Dealer was RNissan in Md, but unfortunatley, they have just lost their franchise due to improprieties.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on my V2:

So far so good!
That's great to hear Zeeforce. Keep us posted. By the way, I know this may be off topic. but, do you have an xbox live account?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 9kFever
little too soon to tell right? I have started consuming oil. New motor has been ordered =(
Way to early to tell, I am figuring it will take 4k mi just for the rings to settle = first oil change. Then another 1k for the real OC test.

errrr....sry to hear about the continuing OC, does this make motor # 2 on the V2 series?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
That's great to hear Zeeforce. Keep us posted. By the way, I know this may be off topic. but, do you have an xbox live account?
Thanks, I think the crickets are back (sounds from the engine bay) My service mgr said I could call him over to the house at 4:30 am anytime and he would run along side the car to see if he could hear the crickets.

Sry, don't have xbox live account.

......jk
Old 09-19-2007, 02:01 PM
joe_blow_xbox

I'm back again.

A few months ago, I thought my 2006 MT rev-up was burning oil. It was almost 1 qt low after ~2200 miles of highway driving on Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic. I took it to Nissan and they said my oil filter was seeping oil (I had changed the oil myself before) so they changed my oil with dino 5W30. After 1000 miles, the oil was on H. I have been checking myself and now after ~3000 more miles (4000 total), it is at low.

I am taking the car in tomorrow for oil consumption again, and am bringing synthetic oil for them to use for the oil change, as it seems to exasperate the problem for most people.

I believe my oil filter before was not leaking because I had painted my garage floor before this, and there was no oil where I park my 350Z. My tail pipes are black and have been ever since I paid attention to this.

I guess the question is, will they take 1 quart in 3000 miles with dino oil seriously at all, or say it is normal. I believe it is not acceptable for a highway cruiser, which I do not race. What is the minimum burning that Nissan replaced the engine?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS Despite my sig below, the only mod I made to this car was to install leather seats from another 350Z. Everything else is stock.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
RBlover69

You can put me in for no oil consumption still at H for my V2 at 4k on it . using the dino oil for the first couple of oil changes and now using the awesome 0W40 mobile 1 syn with synth filter and got nothing but time fellas nothing but time.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joe_blow_xbox
I'm back again.

A few months ago, I thought my 2006 MT rev-up was burning oil. It was almost 1 qt low after ~2200 miles of highway driving on Mobil 1 5W30 synthetic. I took it to Nissan and they said my oil filter was seeping oil (I had changed the oil myself before) so they changed my oil with dino 5W30. After 1000 miles, the oil was on H. I have been checking myself and now after ~3000 more miles (4000 total), it is at low.

I am taking the car in tomorrow for oil consumption again, and am bringing synthetic oil for them to use for the oil change, as it seems to exasperate the problem for most people.

I believe my oil filter before was not leaking because I had painted my garage floor before this, and there was no oil where I park my 350Z. My tail pipes are black and have been ever since I paid attention to this.

I guess the question is, will they take 1 quart in 3000 miles with dino oil seriously at all, or say it is normal. I believe it is not acceptable for a highway cruiser, which I do not race. What is the minimum burning that Nissan replaced the engine?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS Despite my sig below, the only mod I made to this car was to install leather seats from another 350Z. Everything else is stock.
You will have a hard time convincing them that 1qt for every 3000 is excesive. Try switching to Mobil 1 0W40 Syn or Amsoil Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (TSO) with K&N HIgh flow filter. And experience the difference.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/258663-vq-oil-analysis-and-info.html
Old 09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
You will have a hard time convincing them that 1qt for every 3000 is excesive. Try switching to Mobil 1 0W40 Syn or Amsoil Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil (TSO) with K&N HIgh flow filter. And experience the difference.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258663
Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure that 1 quart in 3000 miles, and possibly 1 quart in ~2000 miles is acceptable, especially since I drive highway almost exclusively. The 2006 Nissan maintenance manual says change the oil every 7500 miles with Schedule 2 (highway miles in temperate climate). I would be almost out of oil in 7500 miles.

I also don't think that changing oil to a heavier weight to hide the issue is acceptable. This is a 1 year old car that isn't being ragged on. It shouldn't burn oil. My 99 Mustang GT I replaced this car with burned ZERO oil in 7 years. I can look into changing to a better oil once the car isn't burning regular oil.

I am still wondering Nissan considers the minimum excessive oil consumption.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure that 1 quart in 3000 miles, and possibly 1 quart in ~2000 miles is acceptable, especially since I drive highway almost exclusively. The 2006 Nissan maintenance manual says change the oil every 7500 miles with Schedule 2 (highway miles in temperate climate). I would be almost out of oil in 7500 miles.

I also don't think that changing oil to a heavier weight to hide the issue is acceptable. This is a 1 year old car that isn't being ragged on. It shouldn't burn oil. My 99 Mustang GT I replaced this car with burned ZERO oil in 7 years. I can look into changing to a better oil once the car isn't burning regular oil.

I am still wondering Nissan considers the minimum excessive oil consumption.

The rule of thumb I have heard is that Nissan won't do anything unless your Z burns at least 1qt every 1,000 miles.

When I had my consumption testing done the average was just over 1 qt per 1,000 miles although sometimees it would gulp 1.5 quarts in 1,000 miles but the average was just over 1qt every 1,000 miles.

They changed the shortblock and now I use about 1/2 qt every 1,000 miles.

Since they are complete retards, I'm not brining it back for them to d1ck with it, unless it gets worse.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:32 PM
luvZcar

Sorry to hear about the continuing OC. Why wait so long (6k) for requesting motor # 3?....Uhhh I just answered my own question. 4k = rings to settle + 2k = OC test. Makes sense.
yeah and at the same time I'd like to see if the rings just need to set.I've been watching the concumption and believe it or not it seems to be settling again. when I got the new motor it eat 1qt of oil and nissan here said thats normal through the break in and it might eat some oil till they settle so give it some time.I figure I'll give it to around 7k on the new motor and if it has not set by then well I'm going back to nissan.You know how you said that the car sounds like it has a soda can that has rock in it,well that was the first thing I noticed about the first motor,and this motor does not have that at all it sounds very clean and nice, and just the other day I drove her for about 140 miles and I was sure she drank up some oil but to my suprise it was right there just about where it was when i check it before I went that day maybe a hair under it, and after 4 hundred miles it has only dropped by a hair , I'm trying to give it a chance, just another few hundred miles and I will know exactly how much it eats per 1k.So wish me luck!!! thanks...
p.s. I just check to be sure , its some where around 5553 miles not quite 6000 yet so a little longer for me and I'll know what my course of action should be
Old 09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by RBlover69
You can put me in for no oil consumption still at H for my V2 at 4k on it . using the dino oil for the first couple of oil changes and now using the awesome 0W40 mobile 1 syn with synth filter and got nothing but time fellas nothing but time.
Awesome, I am thinking about the switch, but need to give the dino Castrol GTX 5w-30 a chance. No sense in switching now, if it has no OC on dino.

I updated the results below.

V2 'installees' update
Known V2 install recipients and their results:

1) Dbasal - maybe not fixed.
2) Theatrix - 1500 mi looks good... is not consuming
3) RBlover - Done w/Break-in. 4k mi…No OC when running Mobil 1 0w-40 synth w/synth oil filter.
4) 4Shizzil - appears to be complete success!!!
5) Zmaximus - still consuming
6) Antennahead - still pending
7) Creationv2 - dont know yet...only 100 miles
8) Hexxum001 - G35 with V2 motor - so far so good
9) ZMedic16 - Still Pending
10) ZLOC06 – 1400 mi and some OC - but still pending.
11) ZPHILE - 45mi on V2 - still pending
12) luvZcar -5000 miles and still consuming
13) ZeeForce - 200 miles, pending break-in
14) jkim1978 - 0.5 qt per 1k mi – still pending

^ Hey guys, is the info current and correct?
If not, please update and repost this list.

Thanks

I'm back again.
1 qt per 1k mi for me.

I agree, we should not have to run heavier oil to fix the problem. Although I am starting to think otherwise since reading the post on oil testing (above). That maybe Nissan did not test all the oils for the best with Rev Up. I mean they recommend the same dino 5w -30 as what runs on the Non Rev Up’s. Maybe they were wrong with the Non Rev Ups. I need to read more on the oil brand tests. I am sitting on the fence for now.

Originally Posted by luvZcar
…. after 4 hundred miles it has only dropped by a hair , I'm trying to give it a chance, just another few hundred miles and I will know exactly how much it eats per 1k.So wish me luck!!! thanks...

p.s. I just check to be sure , its some where around 5553 miles not quite 6000 yet so a little longer for me and I'll know what my course of action should be
GL…..keep us posted.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:58 PM
ZeeForce

For the folks that are running with the V2:

What part number was your engine?

The reason I ask, is that mine is different than LuvZcar' by one alpha at the end of the part #. Does anyone know what the diferences are if any?

ZeeForce part# 10102 AC7MZ

luvZcar part# 10102 AC7MA

Thanks luZcar for pointing out the different part #'s

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion