Motul Diff oil with Nismo diff review inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
forgot to post up my experience:

(1) originally installed Nismo with REDLINE fluid (no additional friction modifiers)

- first thousand miles were good, not much noise, but engagement is abrupt... very 'on/off'

(2) at 5k miles, switched fluid to Motul (again, no additional Fric. modifiers)

- ...so awesome. noise is still there, but not AS MUCH. and engagement is like butter... really weird. diff feels completely different.

I would completely recommend people to try this fluid out. it blew me away and was CEHAPER than the redline and smelled better!

I picked mine up from CarV2 in DE, they normally have Motul in stock.
So with a OEM LSD you do need the additive with MOTUL?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:18 PM
shushikiary

Originally Posted by zand02max
So with a OEM LSD you do need the additive with MOTUL?
Unless the nismo LSD is the OEM LSD, what he said had nothing to do with the OEM LSD. (the nismo LSD is not the OEM LSD)

I'll just say this as plainly as I can.. the stock (OEM LSD) is a VLSD (viscous limited slip differential). Now read this:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential5.htm

Since the LSD part of the VLSD is enclosed and fluid which is viscous is sealed inside it, adding a friction modifier would not change the LSD action. VLSD's do not have a harsh engagment like the clutch type LSD's that they are talking about on here (like the nismo LSD). The friction modifier is made to modify the friction between the clutches in a clutch type LSD to help with it's engagement, etc. Info on clutch types:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential4.htm

The motul 90pa used for the clutch type LSD's (NOT the OEM LSD) already has the friction modifier in it, so you dont need to add it. You can if you want to though, or if your situation ends up needing it (for a clutch type LSD).

For the OEM LSD (VLSD) because it doesnt have clutches you dont need a friction modifier. This site has some basic info on clutch type LSD's and why you need a friction modifier: http://www.performanceoiltechnology....ch_chatter.htm

Again, with a VLSD (OEM LSD) type differential you do not need friction modifiers. So the answer to your question is: No you do not need friction modifiers with the OEM LSD, they will do nothing.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
deviljon

has anyone used the nismo diff fluid and just stuck with it? how well does it hold up?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:41 AM
III50Z

Default Nismo LSD FLUID

- NISMO LSD First installed with REDLINE w/additive 1 bottle

Normal NISMO noise and reaction : LOUD POP, SNAP, CLUNK, WHEEL HOP, TIRE SLIP , you can feel the rear end skip around during turns. U turns are the WORSE.

I did figure 8's for 10 mins... as suggested for break in, even tho my LSD was a used unit

Changed dif fluid ... I must stay the magnetic diff oil plug is pretty niffty.

- Replaced with Motul 90PA + 1 bottle of additive mixed in the full 2L bottle

Results: POP, CLUNK is still there, WHEEL HOP is still there, TIRE SLIP, and SKIPPING still there... but everything seems to be toned down a bit.

Maybe I need figure 8's again to work the oil in the 10 LSD clutch plates ...?!?

Im going to put 3k miles on it so see what happens, try Motul 90PA again with 2 or 3 bottles of additive. @$7.95 bucks a bottle "DAMN"! How much are you guys getting them for?

See if that dose the trick... if not, I guess that's just the way the NISMO LSD is.

Cusco RS maybe? or Quaife? ... 2 dif types of LSD's... I guess we will see what happens
Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 PM
mavtais

I just changed the Motul out of my Nismo diff for the first time. Good stuff. It was not as burnt as the redline I put in before. In fact, it remained pretty quiet throughout the drain interval (~4000 miles). I put more Motul 90PA with a bottle of Trans-X posi trac additive (from my local Autozone-get in the zone). After about 100 miles of putting around town, the new oil has made its way through the orifices, and the diff is quieter than it's ever been! Motul is the miracle drug cure for the Nismo LSD Pop. I'm going to hold the fluid a little longer than 5000 miles this time, especially now that I've figured out how to apply minimal torque to the diff in parking lot driving for the least amount of lock possible. I'll definitely buy this product from Sharif@Forged again.
-Mathayus
Daily Driven Z33.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 PM
mavtais

Originally Posted by deviljon
has anyone used the nismo diff fluid and just stuck with it? how well does it hold up?
I had the Nismo OEM stuff. It held up almost as long as redline if I remember correctly.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mavtais
I just changed the Motul out of my Nismo diff for the first time. Good stuff. It was not as burnt as the redline I put in before. In fact, it remained pretty quiet throughout the drain interval (~4000 miles). I put more Motul 90PA with a bottle of Trans-X posi trac additive (from my local Autozone-get in the zone). After about 100 miles of putting around town, the new oil has made its way through the orifices, and the diff is quieter than it's ever been! Motul is the miracle drug cure for the Nismo LSD Pop. I'm going to hold the fluid a little longer than 5000 miles this time, especially now that I've figured out how to apply minimal torque to the diff in parking lot driving for the least amount of lock possible. I'll definitely buy this product from Sharif@Forged again.
-Mathayus
Daily Driven Z33.
Good to hear..sounds like another successful Motul conversion.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM
mavtais

1200 miles now - and popping again. I screwed up. Do not add any friction modifier to Motul! Use it alone and it will last you more than 5000 miles daily driving. Motul alone makes the engagement smooth.
The damn additive I put in there made the Motul suck! Never buy anything that is GM, Ford, or Chrysler spec. They are all $hit! And I bet you already knew that.

Sharif,
I need more Motul, please!

Last edited by mavtais; 06-20-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

We haven plenty here.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:27 PM
World Famous Z

I have to jump on this thread now that I finally have a 1.5 locking diff, I originally used the motul motulgear fluid, which worked ok, but now switched to the motul 90 pa, and man what a difference.

for anyone out there looking for a more liveable rear end, the motul 90 pa is for you! We carry it in stock as well, so it was a quick thing for us to just swap out the fluid, and driveability is excellent while not sacrificing the overall performance of the rear end.

+1
Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by Tony@RiversideInfiniti
I have to jump on this thread now that I finally have a 1.5 locking diff, I originally used the motul motulgear fluid, which worked ok, but now switched to the motul 90 pa, and man what a difference.

for anyone out there looking for a more liveable rear end, the motul 90 pa is for you! We carry it in stock as well, so it was a quick thing for us to just swap out the fluid, and driveability is excellent while not sacrificing the overall performance of the rear end.

+1
Nice..another successfull conversion.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:39 PM
350ZV3

Another successful Motul conversion. I have a Nismo LSD and noises as most know was an issue since the day I got it. Read this post and bought some Motul from Sharif early this week and just had it put in today. After a few same old bumps and grinds heading out of the shop in the parking lot the LSD settled in with the Motul and the best I describe it was butter. Noise factor was reduced atleast 96% and I havnt experienced a ride in my car like that since it was stock. I can only say that if there where 10 commandments to follow when owning a Nismo LSD #1 would be using Motul 90PA as the fluid period. Thanks Shariff shipping was fast and painless.

By the way the tranny fluid is amazing as well. Seems like the JWT components like the Motul as well.

I'm really considering the motor fluid next Shariff. I had the oil changed today as well. So it will be in about 2 months I buy it. Let me know what you recommend please.

Last edited by 350ZV3; 08-09-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Glad it worked out for you. For street driven NA engines, or stock block FI, we usually suggest the Motul 8100 5w/40. http://www.forgedperformance.com/store/home.php?cat=278

Keep us posted on how long it remains smooth. I usually change out my diff fluid every 6000 miles or so.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
350ZV3

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Every 2 oil changes (5k-6k miles) I'll probably change LSD fluid. How often do you change the gear box fluid in non tracked cars?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
kevin8086

not sure if i posted this here or not but i did the diff change and it's been 300 miles and still 95% better this stuff rocks, thanks sheriff
Old 06-20-2008, 06:26 AM
JOEGYVER

Hate to bring up an old thread, but those with Nismo LSD and success with 90PA Motul, what % lock were you running? I left mine as shipped from vendor, and figure I may reduce lock percentage at oil change next week since this is my DD.