Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Datapimp
Yeap, good old GC is back around here "central Florida" as well. The code at the bottom reads M07, so I'm guessing it's a new batch made this year. I had bought up all the M04 and earler "around here" about a year ago and hadn't seen any on the shelves since then. SWEEEET!!!

Datapimp, where are you getting you GC? autozone?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Beeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received my analysis from Blackstone. I know you didn't want to post it since I added 2 quarts between 3000 miles. Everything looks good except for higher than normal iron and copper. It should be 11 iron I had 15. Copper should be 6 and I had 12.

I have only put about 200 miles on since I switced to Castrol GTX 5w-30. I'll have to wait to see if my consumption goes down. Blackstone recommends that I wait until 4400 miles before I change. That won't be until next year since I garage my car for the winter. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Damn New England winters!
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeker
I received my analysis from Blackstone. I know you didn't want to post it since I added 2 quarts between 3000 miles. Everything looks good except for higher than normal iron and copper. It should be 11 iron I had 15. Copper should be 6 and I had 12.

I have only put about 200 miles on since I switced to Castrol GTX 5w-30. I'll have to wait to see if my consumption goes down. Blackstone recommends that I wait until 4400 miles before I change. That won't be until next year since I garage my car for the winter. I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens. Damn New England winters!
Thanks for sharing the results. If you want to, post up your results sheet as a jpg and we'll have a better look at what's going on with your engine. I won't include the results in the comparison chart since it's not very indicative of your oil's performance, but the data sheet they sent you could be good to analyze and let other people now what to look for as potential problems.

As far as M1 goes, high Fe is to be expected. It's just something every M1 blend seems to have, no one really knows why. The copper level is alarming for having two new bottles of oil added during your change interval. And did BL know you burnt two quarts during your change interval?

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Beeker

They said that the cooper could be from break in still. They know I added two quarts.

How do I post the report? I tried to view it online but a blank page came up. I guess I could scan it and add it to photobucket.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Beeker
They said that the cooper could be from break in still. They know I added two quarts.

How do I post the report? I tried to view it online but a blank page came up. I guess I could scan it and add it to photobucket.
They didn't e-mail it to you as a jpg file? That's how I did mine.

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 11:02 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I just wanted to take time out to thank Resolute for devoting his time and experiences for all of us to share and learn. What took him years, we have learned only in a few days. Thanks for your efforts to boards man. Between this one and the Oil Consumption thread. I now know more about VQ's than the F-15 engines I worked 6 years on!

Keep up the good work. ............................................................ .............
Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 4SHIZZIL G-SPOT
I just wanted to take time out to thank Resolute for devoting his time and experiences for all of us to share and learn. What took him years, we have learned only in a few days. Thanks for your efforts to boards man. Between this one and the Oil Consumption thread. I now know more about VQ's than the F-15 engines I worked 6 years on!

Keep up the good work. ............................................................ .............
Thanks for the kind words, man. Appreciate it. And I love your sig, but the Wayne Brady episode will always be my favorite, LOL.

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Resolute
Don't bother with the VOA. I've got a VOA of Motul 300V 5W-40 on file already. When you post your UOA, I'll post the VOA data for comparison if you want.

Will

Will,

can you post up or PM me the VOA of the 300V 5W40. I would like to compare it to the UOA I posted up of the 300V 5W40.

thanks,
Andrew
Old 10-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Will,

can you post up or PM me the VOA of the 300V 5W40. I would like to compare it to the UOA I posted up of the 300V 5W40.

thanks,
Andrew
Yeah, no worries. I don't have it with me here, but when I get home I'll find it and upload it into this thread for comparison.

Will
Old 10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
QuadCam

no worries. I just googled it, and found a VOA of it on BITOG. I just wanted to see if they had any levels of iron, Al, or lead in the VOA.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wayne Brady FTW!

Originally Posted by Resolute
Thanks for the kind words, man. Appreciate it. And I love your sig, but the Wayne Brady episode will always be my favorite, LOL.
Will
"Is Wayne Brandy going to have to choke a.....?"

lol I just watched that last night....too funny.

Funny thing is that I performed oil consumption and internal wear and tear test on the F-15 after each and flight but didnt put the two together. Again its been 8 years since I last performed such acts...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Resolute

no worries. I just googled it, and found a VOA of it on BITOG. I just wanted to see if they had any levels of iron, Al, or lead in the VOA.
iirc, it did have 2ppm of Fe in it, but almost all oils will since they are stored and transported in steel containers. The silicon is the only thing I remember being high.

Will
Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 AM
thinking

Default Sample

Amsoil 5W/30 ASL
K&N oil filter
818 miles / 3.5 months
Engine is stock
Driven 1 day per week average
4 autox days
1 track day
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-blackstone1.jpg  

Last edited by thinking; 10-14-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 PM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by thinking
Amsoil 5W/30 ASL
K&N oil filter
818 miles / 3.5 months
Engine is stock
Driven 1 day per week average
4 autox days
1 track day

Your Aluminum level seems high for only 800 miles. Do youthink it could be high due to you only starting the car once a week. Maybe the aluminum is from start-up wear from your pistons.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:50 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so no one has really tested redline oil at blackstone yet?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:55 AM
thinking

Your Aluminum level seems high for only 800 miles. Do youthink it could be high due to you only starting the car once a week. Maybe the aluminum is from start-up wear from your pistons.
I dunno, but according to some people the engine is still in the break-in period.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by sentry65
so no one has really tested redline oil at blackstone yet?
Yes. Redline 10W-40. It showed pretty high lead. I believe that UOA sample is included in the comparison charts on the first page.

Will
Old 10-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by thinking
I dunno, but according to some people the engine is still in the break-in period.
After 16,000 miles, I wouldn't consider any of the trace metals to be from break-in anymore.

I can't say that any of your wear metals are actually high for the mileage. If you multi[ply your results out by 4 to get an idea of the wear metals after 3200 miles, then the Al and Copper would be high. But, that's not really accurate and not worth making assumptions on. I can say that there was no need to change your oil so soon. Viscosity was good, flashpoint shows no sign of fuel dilution, and wear metals were still very low.

Maybe you changed it so soon because you have one track day on the oil, but that's not going to raise your wear metals to any drastic levels. Start putting a full race on one oil change and there will be a difference, but a track day here or there over the course of an oil change interval doesn't alter wear metals beyond average unless there's something wrong with your engine. It can take a toll on your TBN, though- but you don't have a TBN test for this sample. I wouldn't get one either with only 800 miles on the oil. Even if the track day did cause some shearing and acid build-up, it wouldn't be enough to worry about. Especially with the good PAO base this oil uses.

Infrequent starting causes moisture build-up that can oxidize the oil as well, and in turn lower your TBN level, but your UOA results shows this is not a problem for you. I credit that to the base stock. An Ester based oil would fare worse for infrequent starting, and is especially unstable in the presence of moisture- unlike PAO's. Stick with this oil, and don't worry about months on the oil or track days. At this rate, you could probably go an entire year without an oil change and still have better results than half the UOA results posted so far.

And I disagree with the BL tech. Your filters either suck or need changing. 11ppm of silicon is high for such a short OCI. If your air filter is clean, then check for any loose vaccuum hoses or other points where dirt can get inside the engine.

Thanks for posting your results!

Will
Old 10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be sending off the Valvoline high milage 10w40 this weekend. Then I am going to run the Eneos 10w40 to get a result for that in an NA VQ35. It was just to thin for my FI 350Z.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
IThen I am going to run the Eneos.

is that the Honda Oil?

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info