VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by opathal
Vote!
Resolute = Free Premier Member!

That's the least this forum can do for Resolute. He has done this comunity a great service with what he's done.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by omega6
Testing of ENEOS on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb1YzGcEUCI

ENEOS FTW
I guess we'll see soon enough when a UOA comes in.

Have you bothered to read the first page of information? As I have stated, there is no point in comparing engine oil results from different engines, using dyno pulls, or going by engine "feel" to determine which oils perform the best.

The video you posted is no better than the Street Commodores article that keeps circulating- and the editors eventually admitted was bunk. The "test" is incomplete at best. There are some drawbacks to comparing UOA results, but as long as the same engine is used, there is a high level of control to be seen. Hence why people that switch to one of the better performing oils also see better results in their own UOA's. The numbers might be slightly different, but the trend is consistant. That can't be said for a dyno pull to compare engine oils. In this video, they use an LS engine and not a VQ. It doesn't pertain to us. They don't tell us the viscosity of the oils- just the generic grade. And I qustion anyone who thinks a 5W-40 is a "five weight, forty oil"... what does that even mean? Using an engine dyno to test oil, how does that measure the oil's ability to protect? They comment that the oil is used in racing, and yet most racing oils show horrible protection in street use.This comparison video has nothing to do with an oil's protection.

This thread is for gathering actual data, and not promoting advertising hype. It might be that Eneos has some weights that are fantastic in the VQ. We don't know yet. Until we do, I'll reserve judgement on whether or not this boutique oil is any better or worse than other high-priced boutique oils. Unless you have a UOA done from your engine with their oil, or find one from another VQ35DE, then lets keep this thread on topic and off the hype.

Will
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
ipodhustle

so you would rate the penzoil platinum 10w30 above the castrol 5w30/10w30 syntec?
i see one member had tested the castrol syntec 5w30 with good results at a 5k OCI, yet the penzoil platinum is recommended to only about a 3k OCI, but makes your "list."

i really miss the GC, but for now i just want the best oil i can get at walmart here in southern california. no track days, just an aggressive daily driver
Old 11-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by ipodhustle
so you would rate the penzoil platinum 10w30 above the castrol 5w30/10w30 syntec?
i see one member had tested the castrol syntec 5w30 with good results at a 5k OCI, yet the penzoil platinum is recommended to only about a 3k OCI, but makes your "list."

i really miss the GC, but for now i just want the best oil i can get at walmart here in southern california. no track days, just an aggressive daily driver
Are you assuming I would prefer the PP over the Syntec 5W-30 because the Syntec isn't on the list? If so, that's not the case. The PP is listed because it has excellent wear results with more UOA's completed than the Syntec 5W-30, so the average result is more accurate. It doesn't look to be good for more than 4k oil change intervals in the VQ, so for the guy who changes their oil every 3k miles and wants a low cost synthetic, PP is their oil. Especially since there is a buy one/ get one free sale almost every month for that oil. Syntec 5W-30 was on the list, but the 0W-30 has more UOA results and shows better performance. So, if you want an oil for 6k mile oil changes and like Castrol oils, then the 0W-30 is a better pick than the 5W-30. If you only want what's available at Wal-Mart, or the GC hasn't made a come-back at your local Auto Zone, then as you have seen the Castrol 5W-30 UOA results make it a good choice. I don't have it on the list because the GC is better for the criteria, not because the 5W-30 sucks. I wouldn't mind listing both for a good 6k mile OCI synthetic, but I'm already at the character limit for the post.
Hope this clears it up.

Will
Old 11-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by ipodhustle
i just want the best oil i can get at walmart here in southern california. no track days, just an aggressive daily driver
If you don't plan on going for an extended oil change interval, then the PP 10W-30 is a great option for you. The wear results are about the same for the Syntec 5W-30, but the PP is usually less expensive, especially if you look for some sales. I'd go for the PP 10W-30 if I were you, unless you are doing a 6k mile OCI.

Will
Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 AM
ipodhustle

thanks for the informative responses. after reading about half of this thread, my brain was refusing to register anymore info due to some moderate psychological stress

yeah i think we'll just stick with the PP.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
Nismospeed4life

Resolute, I switch over from Amsoil 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40 and I must say that the car feels like is pulling a bit harder. I'll let you know how it goes over the next 1000 miles.

Thanks for all your work.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:48 PM
redlude97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismospeed4life
Resolute, I switch over from Amsoil 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40 and I must say that the car feels like is pulling a bit harder. I'll let you know how it goes over the next 1000 miles.

Thanks for all your work.
That doesn't make alot of sense when the 0w-40 is thicker. Its likely a placebo effect
Old 11-23-2007, 04:39 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just German Castrol at the AutoZone one town over. I had called them on 2 different occasions to see of they had Syntec 0W30, and they always said no.

Anyway, I happened to be nea that AutoZone the other; so, I stopped in.

Low and behold! There it is. I checked the back of the bottles,a nd sure enough....GC! Now, I was wondering if it was the green or the gold, and some of the bottles in the back of the shelf were pretty dusty. The funny thing is that someone had already opened one of the bottle...probably to check for green or gold.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:01 PM
dave3529

my NA 03 z with 78,000 MIL with 5W40 castrol syntec has been burning about 1qt about every 500-600 miles. i switched to mobil 1 10W40 today to see if it slows down the burning. i noticed that at idle the engine is quiter, but at full throttle the engine/ "maybe air intake" is a lot deeper, and when slowing down it backfires alot more then normal, "which i like" but is that a good thing meaning the thick oil is filling in the gaps from wear and mileage and cause it to peform like stock again, or is it to thick and causing damage????
Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by dave3529
my NA 03 z with 78,000 MIL with 5W40 castrol syntec has been burning about 1qt about every 500-600 miles. i switched to mobil 1 10W40 today to see if it slows down the burning. i noticed that at idle the engine is quiter, but at full throttle the engine/ "maybe air intake" is a lot deeper, and when slowing down it backfires alot more then normal, "which i like" but is that a good thing meaning the thick oil is filling in the gaps from wear and mileage and cause it to peform like stock again, or is it to thick and causing damage????
OT for this thread.

The oil isn't your problem, it's your engine. Start another thread for options and to get some ideas from people on what it might be.

btw, M1 10W-40 is a motorcycle oil, and is thinner than the Castrol Syntec 5W-40. Unless you're using the regular Mobil 10W-40 or HM oil, but either way it's not the oil you're using that's causing your issues.

Will
Old 11-27-2007, 07:15 PM
06CPV35

^ Agree...

-dave3529-
Go here with your question and symptoms:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/232332-revup-oil-consumption-tsb-and-discussion.html
Old 11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
athenG

Default Mobile1 0W40 on FI'd Stock VQ

Ok, here is my result after using Mobile1 0W40 for 2500miles. I have a Single Turbo running 8psi around 360whp on my Stock Motor. This 2500 miles are all hard driven and lots of WOT Pull since I was adjusting my A/F for the Winter Driving. I only drive my car on the Weekend so I go WOT every chance I get My oil was almost black when I changed them so I was surprise that it did hold pretty good. My car is pretty much stock except the Turbo and Mrev+. I think I can still push a few more hundred miles but I'm happy to change my oil at 2.5K miles
Attached Thumbnails VQ Oil Analysis and Info-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by athenG; 11-30-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Resolute

Lead, Copper and Chromium are all very good. The Fe is high, but it always is with M1. Not to worry. For a FI engine, this looks very good. You only have 2500 miles on it, I'd say you could do an easy 4k even though you're boosted. Nice looking sample from a turbo'd engine, this oil's doing well for you. I think QuadCam is giving Rotella T-Syn a shot in his FI VQ, it will be interesting to see if it's worth trying for your engine as well. Of course, if you stay with the M1 0W-40 you'll be making a good choice for sure, since the results in your engine are already proven to be just fine. I only wonder if there's a brand that might lower the Fe wear.

Will
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM
dave3529

thanks for the link, my car always burned oil at start up which i was told was the valve stem seals so maybe with 79,000 on it there finally getting bad... and i used mobil 1 10w40 high milage which is different from there mobil 1 10w40 motorcycle oil. it is slowing down the consumtion a little but not enough and my fear of it being to thick was right, at idle in the morning its at 80-90 psi so that will be changed tomarrow....
Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
IP05G35

Here is the results of Amsoil TSO 0w-30 run for almost 6000 miles. The older results are Amsoil ATM 10w-30.

Name:  TSO.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  87.5 KB
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Resolute

Looks good, just like every other Amsoil TSO sample we've seen. I'd say you could take the oil to 9k miles if you wanted. Two other UOA's with that many miles have been done and looked good. Just keep an eye on the oil level, and you'll be fine. For long oil change intervals, there doesn't seem to be a better oil for the VQ- at least not that has been tested yet. This is a fantaastic oil for the VQ35DE, every UOA result looks great.

Will
Old 12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
IP05G35

I didn't have time to order Amsoil this time around so I put in Mobil 1 0w-40 in the crankcase this time around... curious to see how it will do compared to the Amsoil.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by IP05G35
I didn't have time to order Amsoil this time around so I put in Mobil 1 0w-40 in the crankcase this time around... curious to see how it will do compared to the Amsoil.
Stretch out the OCI to 6k miles again, if you don't mind. That will be a good comparison between the TSO and the M1 0W-40 for the same mileage. Thanks for sharing your UOA's!

Will
Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Nederlander75

New to this site. Very well done Resolute. Id like to see what you feeling is about the Mobil 1 5w30 Truck and 10w30 HM, data sheets below.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...ileage_Oil.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._SUV_5W-30.asp

From what I see in the pour points and the HTHS number of at least the HM it appears that these oils may have much healthier dose of PAO and even esters similar to the 0w40. Your thoughts? Or anyone else’s that cares to comment.

Also, I have one run of Ams 10w30 and one of M1 EP 5w30 if you would like those for your results. I also keep track of avg RPMs, mpg, and ambient operating and startup temps. Let me know. I will be running back to back RP 5w30 samples as well and can provide those if interested to either dispel the negative conenoses or help nail down the coffin. Following that my inention is to run RLI and I can provides those UOAs as well. 06 6speed Altiima SE-R.

Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info